• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku XP-G

jkid1911

Enlightened
Re: Haiku XP-G ?

Ok, got another mystery on my hands. I gotta stop buying up everything McGizmo.... :)

Here's the quote from the description:

"Haiku head with an XP-G2 light engine. This one is using Don's AA converter, which will work with either a 1xAA pack, a 2xAA pack, or a 1x123 pack."

I picked this up as a nice spare for one of my 1 cr123 bodies. However, when I get the head and compare it to my XPG2 Haiku the LED on this one seems much smaller and the light output with 1 cr123 appears to be half of my XPG2. In the photo, my XPG2 is on the left and the mystery head on the right. Something just doesn't seem right. What am I missing?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
AA converter will run on higher voltage but is optimized for ~1.2v AA so I'm pretty sure the output is lower by design than the light engines designed for 3-4.2v.

jkid1911

Enlightened
AA converter will run on higher voltage but is optimized for ~1.2v AA so I'm pretty sure the output is lower by design than the light engines designed for 3-4.2v.
This makes sense but what about the size of the LED?

They both have silver backing but my XPG2 is clearly larger and I know mine's not an XML as I have one of those too and that's bigger yet. Can it be an XRE with the dome removed or maybe another LED? The tint is much more green than my Neutral XPG2 as well if this helps. Also, the back has AA scribed on the head between the red and green paint dabs.

HEEEELP!

Additional pics of the mystery LED .

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The Nichia is being driven at 300 mA on high (AA converter) VS the 660 mA on high of the XPG and since the XPG is likely higher in flux, half the lumens from the Nichia compared to XPG is what I would expect. The Nichia is most likely a 119 which has a smaller die than the 119V or the XPG.

jkid1911

Enlightened
Beamshot ?
Keep in mind this is very close to the wall in order to get the whole beam shot in the photo. There is a very pronounced black ring about 3/4 out towards the end that is less visible in the photo. Of course the ring is only visible on the wall otherwise not.

Please forgive the terrible pic but best I can do.... :)

Last edited:

jkid1911

Enlightened
The Nichia is being driven at 300 mA on high (AA converter) VS the 660 mA on high of the XPG and since the XPG is likely higher in flux, half the lumens from the Nichia compared to XPG is what I would expect. The Nichia is most likely a 119 which has a smaller die than the 119V or the XPG.

Now that I know what LED is in this head, maybe I'll consider swapping out the engine for the XML one that I picked up a while back. Can someone please advise the proper method to order an XML reflector from Don? Also, any concerns about my doing this swap myself?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

jkid1911

Enlightened
Now that I know what LED is in this head, maybe I'll consider swapping out the engine for the XML one that I picked up a while back. Can someone please advise the proper method to order an XML reflector from Don? Also, any concerns about my doing this swap myself?

Thanks! :)
Important to make sure the contacts are properly isolated.

Thanks folks!

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concerning the LEDs: I would consider offering the Nichia 219C (Datasheets: cool-white and warm-white). It is the third generation "219" LED with an even higher efficiency. It has the same footprint as as older 219s and all the Cree XP-LEDs. It is available with and without high-cri (the 90CRI version will be available soon). Is has a much, much lower Vf compared to the XP-G2. In terms of lumens/watt the 5700K 70CRI version is more efficient than the cw XP-G2 S4.

The new XP-G3 is more efficient than all of them, but it has a lot of problems. When using reflectors the tint is not uniform across the beam (blueish spot, yellow spill).

Last edited: