hall sensor TOGGLE version of hallsw board

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, as of threads BC (before crash), I was getting a toggle version of the hallsw board made. I now have them and they work exactly as expected.

The Hall sensor on the HALLTG (hall toggle board) doesn't care about N/S 'polarity', so either will toggle the board from off to on to off etc for each swipe of the magnet.

Power consumption is very low and typically around 30uA (with no magnet present and around 60uA with magnet present).

Here's a picture of a HALLTG board:

halltgt1.jpg

U1 is the regulator to provide power to the hall sensor chip (U2). U3 is the toggle flip/flop.

The board is a little bigger than the HALLSW board at 0.60" x 0.50" though still quite small for its capabilities. Current rating etc is the same as for the HALLSW board. More info on my website.

cheers,
george.

arek98

Enlightened
Great stuff George.

So it works exactly like HALLSW with your flex drivers, i.e., only MOSFET (gate input) is toggled. Is that right?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great stuff George.

So it works exactly like HALLSW with your flex drivers, i.e., only MOSFET (gate input) is toggled. Is that right?

Correct, the SW output is not latched and can be connected to my flex drivers. Only the FET is toggled.

cheers,
george.

arek98

Enlightened
George

One more question. SW pad is pulled to ground by hall sensor, right? Now, if I pull SW to ground by using let say piezo switch will it toggle FET as well? I.e., can it be used as latch circuit for piezo switch (ignoring Hall sensor)? Of course this would only make sense for other non-flex drivers (yours or any).

BTW I have piezo switches with prolonged function that work well with your flex drivers without any additional components.

I can only say: great drivers and now switches. Thank you :twothumbs.

Codiak

Enlightened
George

BTW I have piezo switches with prolonged function that work well with your flex drivers without any additional components.

Do tell more?
Part number and where to order would be good ;-)

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
George

One more question. SW pad is pulled to ground by hall sensor, right? Now, if I pull SW to ground by using let say piezo switch will it toggle FET as well? I.e., can it be used as latch circuit for piezo switch (ignoring Hall sensor)? Of course this would only make sense for other non-flex drivers (yours or any).

Yes, if you pull the SW pin low it will toggle the flip flop and thus the power FET. The SW is pulled up via a 100k resistor, so use an open collector NPN (or N channel FET) to pull it low.

cheers,
george.

Klem

Enlightened
Has anyone used one of George's Hall switches with a Flex driver?

Maybe it's just me but trying to operate a magnet near the Hall to distinguish between a 'Click' (<0.3secs) and a 'Press' (>0.3secs) is hard work.

Klem

Enlightened
I've got to say Lucca, you come up with some pretty good ideas.:twothumbs

Just been looking at the accelerometers on Element 14 (in English of course!:popcorn:) and they're pretty cheap at $4 for a simple 3 axis. You'd only need one axis for on/off, but with something like the Flex Driver there would need to be some sort of interface device to translate the knocks into clicks and presses.

Unless of course George considered the interface from his Flex driver EPROM programming/input point of view. That would simplify the interface hardware needed.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone used one of George's Hall switches with a Flex driver?

Maybe it's just me but trying to operate a magnet near the Hall to distinguish between a 'Click' (<0.3secs) and a 'Press' (>0.3secs) is hard work.

I just hooked up a hallsw board to a maxflex driver. I have no problems accessing & using UIP via the hallsw and also entering the menu system and making a configuration change. The key to a 'click' is to bring the magnet in/out of range quickly. A press obviously just involves keeping the magnet in range for a long period.

The only 'weird' aspect of the hallsw/magnet "switch" is that there's no tactile feel for when you have got into range. Given that ALL click/press actions will have the main LED reacting to the action, you need to just substitute the tactile response for the visible response. Took me less than a minute to get use to it and then it felt reasonably natural/intuitive.

I ended up with 'wild/exaggerated' motions working best - i.e. quickly move the magnet very close to very far (in my case ~ 2 inch motion) to do each 'click' operation.

cheers,
george.

Last edited:

Klem

Enlightened
OK I've got it working with presses and clicks.

I've gone to a more powerful magnet and with the driver on 'Superlock' didn't help (no visual flash for the first correct pass). I've taken it off superlock and once you establish exactly the point of the torch then it works every time.

It took a few minutes of waving my arms round like a drunk baboon but once figured out you can stop waving.

George, you mentioned it's possible to slave a piezo to the HALLTG. Can you solder one to it reasonably simply? What parts go where? It would be helpful to be able to use the same circuit with other diving-type momentary switches.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
George, you mentioned it's possible to slave a piezo to the HALLTG. Can you solder one to it reasonably simply? What parts go where? It would be helpful to be able to use the same circuit with other diving-type momentary switches.

Glad to hear you have it working well.

The SW "output" is actually the Hall sensor "output". Think of the Hall sensor "output" stage as an open collector NPN transistor (with a 100k pullup resistor on the PCB). So, if you externally pull the SW pin to ground it will emulate the Hall sensor being activated.

So, IF the piezo switch emulates an open collector NPN transistor at its output then it can be wired into the HALLTG SW pad.

Obviously we're talking about a piezo switch that has conditioning electronics etc - not a bare piezo device.

cheers,
george.