Hand cut Mag D like a Human Lathe

richpalm

Banned
I'm gonna bump this... I just did the human lathe method and it worked out wonderfully!

Ma Sha gets a big CHEERS!

Rich

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
He mentioned the human lathe method, which is the method #3.

Congrats to Rich, that's some serious amount of work!

simplec6

Enlightened
Any more links to a rotary file besides that one listed at sears earlier in the thread? I'm gonna do this soon just need the bit to do the sanding and need to figure out how to cut through the mag body as well. How are people cutting through the mag body? I've got a dremel, sawzall, and circular saw, no table saw though.

richpalm

Banned
Method 3 works out good... I just got done doing a 1C also. I hand cut the tube with a hacksaw, carefully, after I mark the cut line with masking tape-then the cut will stay straight. Then I trim it out with a file.

The grinding process of the host I.D. I do with a grinding bit I picked up at a hardware store. I chuck it into a drill press.

Rich

simplec6

Enlightened
Method 3 works out good... I just got done doing a 1C also. I hand cut the tube with a hacksaw, carefully, after I mark the cut line with masking tape-then the cut will stay straight. Then I trim it out with a file.

The grinding process of the host I.D. I do with a grinding bit I picked up at a hardware store. I chuck it into a drill press.

Rich

Hi rich thanks for the info!
Do you mind showing me which grinding but you used? Do you use any oil on it or water or anything? Does it sand through pretty quickly? I'll be using a corded hand drill and ill have the mag on a vice.

richpalm

Banned
Hi rich thanks for the info!
Do you mind showing me which grinding but you used? Do you use any oil on it or water or anything? Does it sand through pretty quickly? I'll be using a corded hand drill and ill have the mag on a vice.

I don't even know... I tossed the blister pack. Just get a generic grinder bit that's carbide steel. I tried a hand drill and just about threw it through the wall when it kept slipping, freakin' whirling around and almost taking off my hand. Cussing like Junior Soprano... I would rig the drill in a vise and hand hold the tube. No lube-for some parts I kept a bowl of cold water and dipped the part in question-too impatient to wait for cooling.

Even so, with: Cutting the tube, grinding out the I.D., cutting the end off with the threads, grinding down the threads on a bench grinder to fit them in the tube plus grinding out another tailcap to take a 32650, took hours. With pinched nerves in my neck and carpal tunnel, it sucked.

I really don't like metalwork... I endure it to get to the final result. Too hard on my hands and arms.

Rich

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
What is your time worth to you? Seems to me that you could have bought yourself a mini-lathe about twenty times over by now.

simplec6

Enlightened
I did the belly method today with a drill, drill bit from sears shown in an above post, and a vice. Secured the light parts in the vice. Took about 4 hours. Hardest part is getting a straight line on the part you sand on the outside. Mine got all jacked up, but it all worked fine in the end. Mag 2D is now perfect size for one 32650.

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the sweet tutorial Ma_sha! I did this to a C cell and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. Albeit, I have a drill press which helped ensure a nice strait boring.

Here she is:

PB240208.jpg

Managed to only grind my finger twice.

PB240211.jpg

PB240212.jpg

PB240213.jpg

PB240214.jpg

The result is an absolutely ideal torch host- big honking reflector with palm-able body!