Has anyone had a LED fail in the field?

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I've seen a video on youtube where the Cree X-RE ITSELF had actually burnt out. Someone had some sort of black aluminium flashlight (all you could see, no logos, I'm betting DX though), and had the pill exposed. When turned on, all that the emitter was doing was making a dim little spark-loookin light in a lower corner of the die. This is definitely an -LED- failure, though probably ridiculously rare (EZ1000 dies, American made, good quality control). I can't find the video just yet, will try to find it and post if I do.

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened
I have an old PrincetonTec Attitude 3 led 4AA light that one of the LEDs quit working on. This is a pretty early LED flashlight. Since it still puts out a usable amount of light on 2 leds, I've never bothered checking to see if it's the LED, a solder joint, or what.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies guys - keep 'em coming. lovecpf

Specifically I am looking for instances where it is determined that the failure occurred in the LED itself - not due to mechanical failure of the switch, connection, dead batteries, modding/experimentation, etc.

I am interested hearing about LED failures with lights that use a single high-power LED - not so much keychain lights, cheapie multi-LEDs, etc.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I had one of those DX single cell 'GREE' Cree-base lights where the dome popped off the emitter after a 2-foot drop onto concrete. The dome was rattling inside when I picked it up and the LED had a slight glow to it, and then it died. I'm fairly confident that is LED failure :)

Dadof6

Enlightened
I had a Surefire L4 LED stop working. Surefire replaced it, but it did fail. It was a very early head with a serial Number of A00074.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Has anyone experienced an actual failure of the LED while operating a flashlight - not during experimentation and/or modding the light?

My BOG Q5 Super Premium 235lm died like a dog on me a while back, does that count?

I wish BOG would pick up their phone or return my calls, no such luck. I bought a quality unit since then and have not had any issues.

ETA*I dunno what happened, but the BOG unit now puts out less light than my key-chain LED and I can look square at it without flinching.

buickid

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys - keep 'em coming. lovecpf

Specifically I am looking for instances where it is determined that the failure occurred in the LED itself - not due to mechanical failure of the switch, connection, dead batteries, modding/experimentation, etc.

I am interested hearing about LED failures with lights that use a single high-power LED - not so much keychain lights, cheapie multi-LEDs, etc.

Sounds like you're collecting data for a project of some kind. Do you mind if I enquire? Could be interesting! :D

Newly Enlightened
I had a chep 2AA led light fail that I bought at Walmart. It worked fine for many hours on alkaline batteries but when I replaced them with Energizer Lithium AA batteries, the LED was bright for 2 or 3 seconds then dimmed to orange. The LED fried and charred the plastic that encased it black.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
My BOG Q5 Super Premium 235lm died like a dog on me a while back, does that count?

I wish BOG would pick up their phone or return my calls, no such luck. I bought a quality unit since then and have not had any issues.

ETA*I dunno what happened, but the BOG unit now puts out less light than my key-chain LED and I can look square at it without flinching.
Email them, I've never had a problem getting in touch with Flavio via email.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Ive had one die on me, it was in my 6P at the time, yea totally dead although I cant quite blame it (I have my brother to blame for that one)

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I loaned my PT Apex Pro (2x123) to a buddy on a mtb ride, he returned it once the ride was done, I stuffed it into my rucksack, got home and noticed that there was a burnt smell coming from the headlamp when I took it out. I tried running the light and... nothing! Replaced the cells with primaries and still nothing!

Looks like something shorted but it wasn't raining so I'm not sure what happened. :mecry:

deusexaethera

Banned
Not once in 8 years. Even my oldest light (an early Arc AAA with the crappy black finish) still works.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
Several Chinese 2AA 8-LED lights had the LED's die one by one during prolongued use.

My trusty Nuwai QIII died on me recently after 3 years of service in the hospital I work. It did get quite hot several times, using RCR's.

One of my Fenix E0's died after hanging from my bicycle key for two years. It must have suffered millions of minor shocks during my rides.

Kees

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay. THAT said I bought a cheap 3AA light with something like 11 LEDS (can't find it just now.

But around half of the LEDS have failed.

Bought a 3AA 3LED at a dollar store and when I hit the switch all three Leds :poof: within 3 seconds.

Those are the only absolutely sure Led failures.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far none of my lights have ever failed nor have I received any light DOA. I did receive a light that would not change level once but it still turned on. Hope I never have a failure but of course I carry back up.

WDR65

Enlightened
I've killed a Nite Ize 3 led module in a mini-mag once. I was using Energizer lithiums though, so that might not have helped. They were run down a bit though, with at least thirty minutes of burntime on a hotwire mode in the same light. It was a gradual failure, one led at a time over a period of days that I used it. I have two others now and they are both a year or two old and work fine.