Have we become too dependent on flashlights?

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Too dependent?, I don't think of it that way. I figure we are all slaves to habits, some good some bad. The habit of using a light or assortment of lights is good in my book as it means that when I really really need a light I will have one.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I've managed to down down my habits since the beginning. I leave enough lights around the house that I don't need to keep one on me at all times. I've even managed to cut back on my EDC. If i'm going to be running around in broad daylight for an hour, I leave the lights at home. Going to the movies or a larger enclosed area, I'll get out my Photon on its bead chain, you never know when something will fall under a seat. If the weather is looking pretty bad outside, I keep an E2E with me just in case of an emergency. If I'm going out at night, I have at least the Photon and Surefire, and if I know I'll be working in the dark I'll bring a suitable LED light like an Inova or Mag-LED depending on the situation.

Likewise, I use this system with everything from multi-tools to electronics. One day I have a Leatherman Squirt on my keychain and a Photon, the next I'll be packing a full-size Wave with all the add-ons and a 3D LED Mag that's been to hell and back, I just adapt accordingly.

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
And since all manner of critters can be found on my acreage, I NEVER go outside at night without one!

Otherwise dependent? Nah...

Laugh, with this I agree with you. I was walking through the back yard one evening after dark. Came around a bush and saw a small shadow 15 feet or so in front of me. Figured it was a rabbit (had several rabbit family's raised in the back yard this year) or a cat. But figured I would be safe and pulled out the mini-mag and turned it on. It was a skunk!:huh: I decided to go back the way I came in short order. :)

sniper

Enlightened
Fizz753 said:
... figured I would be safe and pulled out the mini-mag... It was a skunk!:huh:

WHERE are those that say MiniMags aren't worth having? :crackup:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
smokinbasser said:
Stubbing your toe or toes in the dark loses its entertainment value when you get more years on you. I use my arc AAA at night on my walker. The walker does reduce the # of toe strikes, but at the expense of most furniture corners. Having some light out front saves wear and tear on my furniture and my toes.

You could use a bicycle lamp, or such fitting, if you don't already do so.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before where I'd cautiously walk to a light switch before wandering the dark house, now I grab a flashlight (Dorcy 1xAAA). I could wander the house in darkness because I know how many steps it takes to reach key areas. Why risk the stubbed toe or knocking something over. ;)

When I crack the pooter case open to work on the insides, I have the HDS U60 or KL-1 on 1x123 Alelph body with MCe2S tail. These both are my alternating EDC lights. Having pocket lights, I find more reasons to use them and it sustains motivation to seek new lights. Although I am not a big buyer, I enjoy the hunt. :)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin10123 said:
LOL, i loved it when you referred to stubbing your toe on corners as "entertainment" LOL that's great. I remember the last time i was too stupid and i did that, i was both laughing and hurting at the same time.

That's not too bad. What's real bad is forgetting your 6' for a moment and deciding to do a nice, lengthy arm stretch....

while standing directly underneath a celing fan that's running. Cracked half a nail loose from the quick. Now THAT hurts.