HDS Systems #23

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 10.58.15 AM.png

I'd be interested to know how you did this.
Just a drill and various grit sandpaper, 60-2000, once I got to 1000 and 2000 I wet sand. Used the drill to spin the bezel as fast as you can. I used a small mechanical plug to hold the bezel, just replace the wingnut with a regular nut.
Make sure the bezel is held square, no wobble, if it's off a little it will end up uneven.

Takes all of 5-10 minutes.

Just a drill and various grit sandpaper, 60-2000, once I got to 1000 and 2000 I wet sand. Used the drill to spin the bezel as fast as you can. I used a small mechanical plug to hold the bezel, just replace the wingnut with a regular nut.
Make sure the bezel is held square, no wobble, if it's off a little it will end up uneven.

Takes all of 5-10 minutes.
Thanks for the info. I might try this. I have a few extra bezels lying around.

I received the second of my two ordered HDS rotary lights this week. One CR123 NLT and an 18650 SDR50.

I notice the 18650 ships with an unprotected cell. Any harm in cramming a protected cell in there or is it way too long? I'm nervous to damage the springs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 98
I received the second of my two ordered HDS rotary lights this week. One CR123 NLT and an 18650 SDR50.

I notice the 18650 ships with an unprotected cell. Any harm in cramming a protected cell in there or is it way too long? I'm nervous to damage the springs
I wouldn't. I'd be worried about compressing the springs too much.

I've used them. Depends on the brand, also I've found the ones with the usb charge port are too big. Just go lightly and you'll get a feel for it.

You can but why? The HDS ships with a Japanese made INR battery. It doesn't need a protection circuit. The HDS electronics won't kill it, and an INR is far superior to the ICR or IMR chemistries.

Here I will expand. We have never done an 18350 in special metal. I've tried to get Henry to do it. I have the bruises to prove it. The problem lies in that the signal wire going from the tail to the head has to be insulated on these and there is no HA to insulate it. This is can be problematic. While most folks might think we just run any old wire up to the electronics, that isn't so. It is a custom made wire. When we do the other special metal runs, we can insulate it, but it is protected in the hole that is drilled in the 123 tube. This isn't the case with the 1800 tubes where it is a channel where that signal wire is epoxied in. It is VERY time consuming and Henry is the only doing it. I have rum to drink so I'm too busy. He has dug in his heels on this every time I bring it up.
When the new light comes out in 2074 or thereabouts, it will be standard with an 18350 tube as the total diameter will be slightly bigger to accommodate this. Then it won't be an issue for special metal runs... provided the planet is still spinning around that large unshielded runaway nuclear explosion in the sky.