HDS Systems EDC # 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

davyro

Enlightened
Alright murpharoo,welcome to CPF.I also got my HDS rotary from Ledfiretorches,you can get rechargeables & charges there as well.The most common batteries
that have good reputation are AW rcr123a .I use them & they're great i can't fault them in any way.The HDS is a bomb proof light with a great warranty it also
can be programmed to anyway you want it.They really well made & it will last you a lifetime.I want a 200 Tactical next.Ledfiretorches have sold out but they have
170 T's in stock but spending that amount of money on that one wouldn't be right when its the 200T that i really want.:thumbsup:

dannn

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a HDS Clicky 200 and I'm loving it. I ordered it from oveready.com since HDS was back logged for a few weeks.

The only option I couldn't get was the sapphire lens which I plan on purchasing from HDS directly.

Biginboca

Newly Enlightened
I have a question, and I'm not trying to be a smart ***...

With the rotary 200 and clicky 200 costing the same, why would someone choose the clicky over the rotary? It seems like the rotary does everything the clicky does and more, unless I am missing something?

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened
1. The rotary is said to be a little bit less efficient than the clicky
2. The rotary tail cap does compress a bit when pressing the tail switch. makes a mushy feel while pressing the switch fast for double click

tgfuzzball

Newly Enlightened

With the rotary 200 and clicky 200 costing the same, why would someone choose the clicky over the rotary? It seems like the rotary does everything the clicky does and more, unless I am missing something?

I purchased the clicky 200 instead of the rotary 200 for these reasons:
  1. The clicky switch is more efficient than the rotary switch, giving a longer runtime on ultra-low
  2. The clicky switch should be more durable than the rotary switch (which is not designed to seal under water while in motion)
  3. The clicky can use a pocket clip
  4. The T200's reflector produces a slightly more throwy beam than the rotary.
Regards,
tgfuzzball

dannn

Newly Enlightened
I chose the Clicky over the Rotary because it is a simpler design. I was never a fan of any light that used a rotating interface to change brightness and modes.

I think it is just a personal preference. Just because a feature is there doesn't mean everyone likes it.

thaugen

Enlightened
I have a Clicky 120. I ordered a Rotary because I wanted to give it a try. I almost went with the 200 Clicky because it seamed like a simpler design that was less prone to failure, but Henry stands behind his products and I have heard nothing but good things about the rotary versions.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. The rotary is said to be a little bit less efficient than the clicky
2. The rotary tail cap does compress a bit when pressing the tail switch. makes a mushy feel while pressing the switch fast for double click

3. No pocket clip solution

I also did not like the beam on my Rotary nearly as well as on my T200 clicky. When the beam problem is fixed and a clip solution provided, I will get another Rotary. I do like the added rotary UI. It gives you 2 great UI's to choose from in one fantastic light.

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one has done a runtime test or tailcap measurements on the 200 clickies at the lowest setting so I don't think the efficiency of the clicky has been proven any different than the rotary. I plan on getting a high CRI clicky at some point (if they are available) because in theory they should be more durable and water resistant, and I allready own a rotary.

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Rotary is a great light and I am glad to have one, but it isn't one hundred percent perfect for everyone. It is for me, but that's just me. :)

notsofast

Enlightened
No one has done a runtime test or tailcap measurements on the 200 clickies at the lowest setting so I don't think the efficiency of the clicky has been proven any different than the rotary. I plan on getting a high CRI clicky at some point (if they are available) because in theory they should be more durable and water resistant, and I allready own a rotary.

From a scientific point of view the efficiency of the 200 clickies haven't proven. But is there any reason why it wouldn't be comparable to the pre-200 clickies?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was brought up a while ago, perhaps not even in this thread (maybe #13 or #14). IIRC the main idea was if Henry used the same driver/circuit design in the rotary and clicky, then the runtimes/efficiency would be identical. Obviously the rotary functions much differently then the clicky and common sense tells us that it would be less efficient than the clicky, if you assume that the rotary is using more power. However, there could be other variables, compromises, etc. in the design of the light, so I am going to assume nothing until I see a runtime test or Henry says it'll go 30 days on the lowest output. I also thought someone asked Henry directly if the rotary and clicky had similar runtimes, but I might be mistaken, or the question may have been referencing the runtimes at higher outputs. Here is a thread discussing the clicky vs. rotary runtime: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nce-in-runtimes-between-HDS-Rotary-and-Clicky.

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened
I was under the impression that the rotary was a new design but the clicky maintained the original design (with the exception of the threads). The 200 being a new type of emitter which allows for a reliable 200lms.

I realize he is a very busy man these days but I miss Henry not stepping in every once in a while to keep us straight on these type of mysteries.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased the clicky 200 instead of the rotary 200 for these reasons:
  1. The clicky switch is more efficient than the rotary switch, giving a longer runtime on ultra-low
  2. The clicky switch should be more durable than the rotary switch (which is not designed to seal under water while in motion)
  3. The clicky can use a pocket clip
  4. The T200's reflector produces a slightly more throwy beam than the rotary.
Regards,
tgfuzzball

When I asked Henry (before ordering the Rotary) if there was a difference in beam profiles between the 200T and Rotary.

This was his response; "The are the same. Do to the production process, there can be slight variations but they are essentially the same."

Here's a video review between the 120, 170 and 200 Tacticals; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaouqpHy0fs

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
A little HDS trit action

IMG_0264a.jpg

IMG_0265a.jpg

The light shines out through the Norland when the light is on as the trits slots were cut right through.....

IMG_0266a.jpg

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man that's Trick! You guy's got some nice Sh..i....(?)......Stuff!

dannn

Newly Enlightened
I came here to ask about options to add tritium to my light.
I like that bezel, is it DIY or is it available for sale?

does anyone else know other ways to add tritium to a clicky?

A little HDS trit action

IMG_0264a.jpg

IMG_0265a.jpg

The light shines out through the Norland when the light is on as the trits slots were cut right through.....

IMG_0266a.jpg

stoli67

Enlightened
The trit bezel is custom...machinedby Barry at precision works.... He has a thread... Surefire boring service I think it is called....

After he cut the trit slots I installed the trits but he can do both if you send him the trits!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I registered just to post this.

Last Thursday, a month after I ordered my clicky, I emailed Henry to inquire of my order's status.

He told me that, if all goes well, he was scheduled to pick up the parts from his vendor in person last Friday (Nov 18th) and should start shipping backorders this week if nothing goes wrong.

;)

Anyone's got news on the backorders?

JustG

Newly Enlightened
Oh man I totally missed tgfuzzball's post. I'm kind of wishing I still had.

When it comes to new toys I'm not very patient!

Status
Not open for further replies.