HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
I don't know whether this is OK to post but for people in Europe looking for the 120 Clicky I found a vendor in the Netherlands. I have never ordered anything there and know nothing further about them so do this at your own risk! If you put "hettykat" in your search engine you should find it.

Snareman

Enlightened
I'm with you. I usually prefer the clean and sleek look. Letters and numbers don't normally assist with functionality or visual appeal. Many times I have found myself removing stickers, decals and whatever else from things I have purchased. I even took a heat gun to the back of my car to get rid of the model name. But for some reason I have gobs of bumper stickers stuck on the inside of my trunk...?

I generally don't mind, it although I do remove the dealer stickers from my cars. On a flashlight I'm fine with it though. This light just looks like a chunk of tool with no branding. Although I guess that's sort of what it is.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you. I usually prefer the clean and sleek look. Letters and numbers don't normally assist with functionality or visual appeal. Many times I have found myself removing stickers, decals and whatever else from things I have purchased. I even took a heat gun to the back of my car to get rid of the model name. But for some reason I have gobs of bumper stickers stuck on the inside of my trunk...?

As for your stickers in the trunk, that gives whoever you put in there something to read. Ha! Most of the higher end lights don't have marking on them mcgizmo's, Macs, ect.. I have a service business and none of my vehicles have any advertising on them. Just personal preference doesn't make it right or wrong.

burntoshine

Enlightened
I generally don't mind, it although I do remove the dealer stickers from my cars. On a flashlight I'm fine with it though. This light just looks like a chunk of tool with no branding. Although I guess that's sort of what it is.

Those dealer stickers are obnoxious to me. Yuk! Total adverstisement and an eye sore.

Yeah, I like how HDS just stamps the minimal info on the bezel of non-cerakoted lights. To the point; nothing fancy. A tool. Awesome.

As for your stickers in the trunk, that gives whoever you put in there something to read. Ha! Most of the higher end lights don't have marking on them mcgizmo's, Macs, ect.. I have a service business and none of my vehicles have any advertising on them. Just personal preference doesn't make it right or wrong.

lol; maybe i'll leave a flashlight in my trunk, too!

Good point about the higher end flashlights. I would really like to have a nice titanium flashlight. I had a Ku 2XTi from run #2, but that's not exactly a high end light; maybe a hybrid. Sold that one. I hope to own a Ti HDS someday.

Personal preference is not right or wrong - no arguments here!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... Snip ....

Personal preference is not right or wrong - no arguments here!

Well that's NO FUN!

I wish my HDS would have a blinky HDS label on the side of the light when I click it on! .... :poke: ..... :popcorn:

:naughty:

:laughing:

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those dealer stickers are obnoxious to me. Yuk! Total adverstisement and an eye sore.
What I find most inexplicable are the license plate frames. The frames themselves aren't inexplicable, it's the fact that people keep them when putting new plates on their car!

As for HDS' current branding, it's somewhat restrained compared to the older lights which included the name of the light, the serial number, and the HDS web address.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
:party:Just received a High CRI Rotary from Germany ( a cancelled pre-order ) ! Here it is next to my 200 Clicky. It's the flush tail cap but I ordered a black bezel as well which it sports now. Tint is quite warm compared to the snowy-white 200. Can't wait to compare them tonight (and compare this high CRI to my Nichia 219 self-modded Clicky)! The knurling is less pronounced on the Rotary compared to the Clicky but is nice and even throughout. Quick daytime testing shows it to throw about equal to the Clicky. Beamshots with both on high.
img2714gx.jpg

img2716l.jpg

Last edited:

burntoshine

Enlightened
What I find most inexplicable are the license plate frames. The frames themselves aren't inexplicable, it's the fact that people keep them when putting new plates on their car!

As for HDS' current branding, it's somewhat restrained compared to the older lights which included the name of the light, the serial number, and the HDS web address.

That is odd. Maybe they figure that the car runs fine with the frame on, so why chance it.

The web address didn't include the hypertext protocol stuff and "www" too, did it? :laughing:

Maxbelg

Enlightened
Does the HCRI look so orange/yellow to your eyes, or does the picture exaggerate it?
It is realy a bit yellow although I only notice compared to other lights. I find it nice at night (makes me think of fire ie candle) but prefer neutral daytime (Nichia 219 high cri). I tried the flashlights yesterday night and the high cri throws as far as my 200 Clicky but has slightly less lumens overall. Love these lights!

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, I think I skip on the HCRI then and get the the standard rotary instead. Is there any chance there will come a Rotary with Nichia 219 when he has cleared the backlog?

Maxbelg

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, I think I skip on the HCRI then and get the the standard rotary instead. Is there any chance there will come a Rotary with Nichia 219 when he has cleared the backlog?

I guess only Henry knows the answer to that one!

The Nichia 219 High CRIs work very well with the reflector in the HDS. Here are from left to right 200 Clicky Tactical, Standard Cree XPG High CRI Rotary and then 2 self-modded Clickies with Nichia 219s. Sorry for the dust on the lenses!

fotohlk.jpg

Second pic is an attempt to show the tint differences. The 2 Nichia modded Clickies look exactely the same. From left to right: 200 Clicky, High Cri Rotary, Nichia 219:

fotopd.jpg

Actually I find the Nichia looks slightly colder in real life than on the pic. I like all of them!!!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of colors and camo, losing lights and the difficulty of replacing an HDS, I find it really practical to keep the locator flash enabled all the time. That feature has kept me from misplacing the light twenty or more times in the last six months. I do wish that I could disable it without entering programming mode though, for the very rare times that I want to have it in my hand, off, without dimly flashing my location every 3 seconds.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the first picture of the emitters/reflectors I like the Cree HCRI, it looks nice, but on the second picture I prefer the cool Cree 200. Thanks for posting.

NikoAus

Newly Enlightened
I guess only Henry knows the answer to that one!

The Nichia 219 High CRIs work very well with the reflector in the HDS. Here are from left to right 200 Clicky Tactical, Standard Cree XPG High CRI Rotary and then 2 self-modded Clickies with Nichia 219s.

Thanks a lot for your Beamshots, Maxbelg! :thumbsup:

It seems like the spot of the high cri is much more narrow than the cool xp-g one, or is it just the photo? I guess that´s the reason why you said the high cri throws as far as the cool xp-g... :thinking:

I´d love the high cri for hiking but a narrow spot just isnt the right thing for it.

Maxbelg, i know its my first post here, but i would love to see a beamshot with the high cri and the cool xp-g from a further distance (maybe 3+ meters), because at such close distance the light is just too bright to recognize the difference... and "Hi!" to everyone here at CPF! :wave:

NikoAus

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Speaking of colors and camo, losing lights and the difficulty of replacing an HDS, I find it really practical to keep the locator flash enabled all the time. That feature has kept me from misplacing the light twenty or more times in the last six months. I do wish that I could disable it without entering programming mode though, for the very rare times that I want to have it in my hand, off, without dimly flashing my location every 3 seconds.
I wanted to leave mine activated too, but it was too annoying and it would have been great to have ability to make it both dimmer and have the blink rate a lot slower and further apart.
While I'm wishing, I actually wish there was more of a pulse than the blink, but since it is not likely to change, I'll keep mine deactivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.