HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubiconSS

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a Hi CRI and Henry told me me that it would take five to six weeks before I would receive it.
I originally lusted after the Rotary 200, but have read that in real life use, there is not that much difference between 120 and 200 lumens to the naked eye.
I also liked the water resistance of the HI CRI along with the better color rendering.
For anyone who has both, is there that much difference to you?

I have received recently, the 200 rotary, 120 hcri, 170 and 140 clickies. there is a difference.
IF I had to seel them Off and keep just one it would be a tough decision but the 170 would go first.
The throw on the 120 and 140 is the best of the four(4) IMO.
The hue on the 120 hcri is very pleasant and great for a "Do it All" light.
The rotary is very useful and I employ the function daily.
Someone who likes throw and a more focused beam - the 120 or 140 with the tipper being light color between the two.
Flood/spill fans - its the 170 or 200 with the rotary (sans a clip, mind you. Not an issue for me) -vs- clicky being the tipper.
Variety is the spice of life but, sometimes spice can cause heartburn so can tough choices :)

uncle wong

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a Hi CRI 10mins ago . I don't receive any order number from Henry . Is it normal ?

RubiconSS

Newly Enlightened
How big a difference in throw on the 140 versus the 200? Is it 30 yards (90 feet) noticeable?

It isn't extremely noticeable, In an A/B comparison - you'd find yourself going back and forth between the two and then dropping the one in your pocket that you like the UI best (clicky or rotary) The 200 is brighter in the sense that it lights a wider area. the 140 may give a false sense of more throw because of the diminished spill.
I have a gun range in my backyard and have a target out at 100yds. (I'd show a pic but don't want to get attacked for a "Show me" pic of something not specifically related to an HDS light)
Both lights light up the target with only slight variance.
If I had somedody standing next to me that was not a flashlight person and I said "Here look" they would say "That one is brighter" about the 200.
I frankly doubt they would notice the slightly greater throw of the 140.
Not sure if that helps, I'm trying to find different ways to describe a very minor difference.
Now in the GG video of the older 170 -vs- the 200 IMO that difference was extremly noticeable at least on camera.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mail from paypal only .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
You better email Henry to confirm that he received the order. I once sold some stuff in CPFMP and luckily the buyer PMed me about his PayPal transaction because I did not receive any notification from PayPal about his transaction coming through for that particular order. However, I did receive the notification from PayPal for the rest of the buyers. Weird but it happens.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It isn't extremely noticeable, In an A/B comparison - you'd find yourself going back and forth between the two and then dropping the one in your pocket that you like the UI best (clicky or rotary) The 200 is brighter in the sense that it lights a wider area. the 140 may give a false sense of more throw because of the diminished spill.
I have a gun range in my backyard and have a target out at 100yds. (I'd show a pic but don't want to get attacked for a "Show me" pic of something not specifically related to an HDS light)
Both lights light up the target with only slight variance.
If I had somedody standing next to me that was not a flashlight person and I said "Here look" they would say "That one is brighter" about the 200.
I frankly doubt they would notice the slightly greater throw of the 140.
Not sure if that helps, I'm trying to find different ways to describe a very minor difference.
Now in the GG video of the older 170 -vs- the 200 IMO that difference was extremly noticeable at least on camera.
I agree with you on this observation. I used to own a 170 GDP and the 200 does appear brighter because of the wider spill. Even though the 170 throws a tad better than the 200, visually it is really negligible. I ended up using the 200 rotary more because I prefer the floodier beam profile for EDC purposes.

Jonnor

Newly Enlightened
These tubes are still available as new old Stock for 59€. Though I have no idea what shipping intl. would cost or if the shop would ship to other countries then these selectable when checking out at all.

shop is http://shop.dkrsolutions.com/zubehoer/r17670-batteriefach-mit-flachen-klickschalter/a-40/

Received my tube some time ago, have been to busy to use it until now.

Shipping time was as expected from Germany, but the seller shipped really fast.

The tube has no cosmetics flaws and is in perfect condition. The color is a little off my 100 HCRI, but you have to really study it to notice. There was however some really small "bumps" on one of the threads for about half a centimeter, but the threads works smoothly without any problems so I thinks it is just me being a little demanding.

I fit AW protected cells in it without problem. Gives great versatility to the light, can use it without the tube for EDC and with the tube for longer runtimes. The handling and grip of the light is a little different, but not in a bad way. I have handled it next to my rotary for comparison and can't say I prefer one size over the other, they both have advantages. But it is off course to big to pocket carry with the tube.

image_zpsb73804ff.jpg

Still in stock if someone else care for a 17670 tube.

Last edited:

Maxbelg

Enlightened
.......Not sure if that helps, I'm trying to find different ways to describe a very minor difference........
It sure helps, thanks!

I agree with you on this observation. I used to own a 170 GDP and the 200 does appear brighter because of the wider spill. Even though the 170 throws a tad better than the 200, visually it is really negligible. I ended up using the 200 rotary more because I prefer the floodier beam profile for EDC purposes.
I also used to own a 170 GDP and a 200 Clicky and agree with the observations. I would however be really interested in a comparison between the older 170 GDP and a new 140 GDP because of the re-designed reflector!

Starik1

Newly Enlightened
Who makes the best pocket clip for clickies that is readily available? I know everyone loves the Moddoo clip, but it's hard to find, and I need instant gratification!

Diablo_331

Enlightened
The Dark Sucks clip is nice. I've had two on 6p sized lights and liked them very much. I just bent the lip of the stock clip on my Clicky to make it slide into my pocket easier then shrink wrapped it. The stock clip is now usable.

Starik1

Newly Enlightened
The Dark Sucks clip is nice. I've had two on 6p sized lights and liked them very much. I just bent the lip of the stock clip on my Clicky to make it slide into my pocket easier then shrink wrapped it. The stock clip is now usable.
Agreed. Prometheus (Dark Sucks) is nice and Henry has an optional one on his site as well http://www.hdssystems.com/?id=Accessories
Thanks. I ordered the Dark Sucks one. The stock clip is too narrow for my liking. I would have preferred the decorative HDS clip, but $15 shipping is too much for just a clip (the clip is only $19). Dark Sucks will do just fine :)

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I ordered the Dark Sucks one.

Thanks for reporting that you were able to order one. Jason didn't have any Surefire or HDS clips in stock about a week ago.

I just bought one for my Clicky and a couple for other 1" lights.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for reporting that you were able to order one. Jason didn't have any Surefire or HDS clips in stock about a week ago.

I just bought one for my Clicky and a couple for other 1" lights.
You can also buy the Darksucks clip from Uniquetitanium.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts