HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogokansatsukan - any ideas when the 17670 rotary tubes will be available ? im holding off ordering one till they are in stock.
also - we need more pics :)

and one last stupid question, kinda goes with the one i asked last week.
are the dimensions of the Rotary and Clicky the same from the waist section forward ? (so if a kydex sheathmaker were to make a sheath for a clicky using the stepdown area for retention, it would fit a rotary perfectly ?)

Thanks !

The dimensions are the same from the waist forward so using the stepdown area for retention should be just fine.
The 17670 tubes are in production and will hopefully be available in a few weeks. The shop that is producing them did a good job on the first articles, so hopefully they repeated what they did right with the production run.

Snareman

Enlightened
The Rotary switch is best left to Henry to work on. I don't even touch em! If you wear the boot out though, it is covered by the lifetime warranty. Henry is currently working on a new Rotary switch design, but I do not know if that will be more end user friendly for boot replacement.

Will the new switch provide any improvements that we'll notice or just internal changes?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the new switch provide any improvements that we'll notice or just internal changes?

You will only notice the change if you beat the living crap out of your light! Right now, the Executive (Clicky), is the most robust HDS. The tail on the Rotary is not as robust and can fail if thrown hard onto concrete (I'm not recommending this) and it hits the tail just right. While the Rotary will still function, but it behaves erratically and must be sent to the corner for a "time out" or back to Henry for a repair. The entire idea with HDS is to make these lights spelunker proof. And yes, in testing they are thrown very hard repeatedly against concrete... even shot if you remember. The actual failure rate of Rotary switches in the field is miniscule, but knowing that it is a weak point, Henry has been redesigning it. It's not new at all to HDS. Every light Henry has come out with, he has abused until he broke it, then reengineered the weak link. This has been a continuous process, and will continue. Rather than have 30 different models and styles, he just keeps improving the next generation even if it doesn't look much different from the exterior.

A comparison of the HiCRI, Neutral, and 250 white.
IMG_0639_zps323ad51a.jpg

Snareman

Enlightened
Thanks. And how about that picture of the rotary pocket clip? :)

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. And how about that picture of the rotary pocket clip? :)

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

I was at Henry's yesterday picking up a new model to test and I totally spaced it. I know "bad CPFer! Bad! Bad!"
I will try to remember when I'm there on Tuesday.

Imon

Enlightened
Yay!

Finally a production run of 17670 bodies!
This is probably a dumb question but it is the acme thread right? I wouldn't be able to throw it on my old Ra Clicky.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i ordered the [h=1]EDC Executive Clicky 219B 170 . what tint colour out of those three would mine be?. first one?. is the first one a 92+HCRI , and would the 85+cri be the same like tint?.[/h]thanks.

You will only notice the change if you beat the living crap out of your light! Right now, the Executive (Clicky), is the most robust HDS. The tail on the Rotary is not as robust and can fail if thrown hard onto concrete (I'm not recommending this) and it hits the tail just right. While the Rotary will still function, but it behaves erratically and must be sent to the corner for a "time out" or back to Henry for a repair. The entire idea with HDS is to make these lights spelunker proof. And yes, in testing they are thrown very hard repeatedly against concrete... even shot if you remember. The actual failure rate of Rotary switches in the field is miniscule, but knowing that it is a weak point, Henry has been redesigning it. It's not new at all to HDS. Every light Henry has come out with, he has abused until he broke it, then reengineered the weak link. This has been a continuous process, and will continue. Rather than have 30 different models and styles, he just keeps improving the next generation even if it doesn't look much different from the exterior.

A comparison of the HiCRI, Neutral, and 250 white.
IMG_0639_zps323ad51a.jpg

Lithium466

Enlightened
Yes, you'll get the second one in the picture (middle one). First one is probably one of the "old" 120lm High CRI with XP-G 3700°K.

Lithium466

Enlightened
No, looks more like my XP-G high CRI clicky. It depends on your screen, white balance and camera of course :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just curious as to what sort of white we are looking at with the cool white 250 lumen? My main gripe with HDS's cool white is that it tends to be a little on the bluish side of tint. Always loved those creamy white tint found on my older Surefire lights.

Houdiny

Newly Enlightened
I'll take some pictures comparing an older model Rotary and the new cw Rotary 250 later today.
I think the emitter used is an xpg2 and the tint of the cool white is less blueish than on the older model.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
if someone could also take a picture of the Nichia 219B tint too - that picture of those three, the middle one looks more like 5000k than neutral.
really liking the first one.

thank you ...

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay!

Finally a production run of 17670 bodies!
This is probably a dumb question but it is the acme thread right? I wouldn't be able to throw it on my old Ra Clicky.

Yes, the new 17670 will be acme thread. There is already a17670 tube that exist for the non-acme Clicky, but it's a rather rare animal...

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry is currently working on a new Rotary switch design...
Oh, come on, you can't just drop a bread crumb like that and not give us more details! What is this new design, and will it be compatible with previous Rotary heads?

Edit: I see you answered the question above that Henry is working to make the dial more robust, but you never addressed whether or not the new switch/battery tube will be compatible with existing lights.

On a related note, thanks for your input in this thread. We've been saying for a long time that if Henry couldn't post here himself then he needed an official spokesman of sorts to keep us in the loop. Looks like you got the job. :)

Last edited:

Megatrowned

Enlightened
I also have a question. A few pages back, the possibility of a Ti version of the new Tactical light was mentioned. Now, I have always hoped for a Ti Rotary at some point. However, the new Tactical interface does not appear to be something I would use.

So, are the insides of both a Rotary and a Tactical similar enough, that, if/when a Ti Tactical is made, a standard Rotary one could easily be made as well?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, come on, you can't just drop a bread crumb like that and not give us more details! What is this new design, and will it be compatible with previous Rotary heads?

Edit: I see you answered the question above that Henry is working to make the dial more robust, but you never addressed whether or not the new switch/battery tube will be compatible with existing lights.

On a related note, thanks for your input in this thread. We've been saying for a long time that if Henry couldn't post here himself then he needed an official spokesman of sorts to keep us in the loop. Looks like you got the job. :)

Yes, it will be compatible with the current Rotary lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.