HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCD

Enlightened
I was worried about the open bottom allowing the light slip through the holster, but the factory clip supplied with HDS lights has a just slightly larger diameter than the body of the light and on my holster, allowed it to almost "click" in at the back side where the bends of the holster clip are. I eventually ended up getting a Moddoo clip which has the exact same diameter as the light body. However the clip design as it transitions from the diameter to the clip portion is wider than the gap in the Kytex holster, providing a very positive stop. I didn't like the amount of friction the holster had with the new clip, so I took a hair dryer to the holster, re-formed the bottom portion just slightly to hold the light tighter and got it perfect for my liking. Its not too tight that the light is difficult to take in and out of the holster and I have not yet found the light trying to work it's way out...and I wear this on my belt EVERY DAY from working at the office throughout the week to riding 4 wheelers and working on the farm on the weekends. I believe the only way for the light to come out is to be snagged on something and pulled out.

sprinkle

Newly Enlightened
Ordered a HCRI Rotary on Dec 31st. Henry sent a confirmation email on Jan 3rd stating the order was received.... and today it was in my mailbox!!!! The wait is finally over!!!! :party:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a nearly 9-month wait, my high CRI Rotary finally arrived today, and what a gorgeous light!

It has the high-quality construction that HDS lights are known for with the parts mating together perfectly and even anodizing. The only oddity is that the knurling isn't consistent. It's smoothest on the head, slightly rougher on the battery tube, and noticeably rougher on the dial. I'm not sure if this is by design or simply a normal variance in the manufacturing process, but it doesn't bother me. Actually, the rougher surface on the dial gives a better grip and makes it easier to turn.

The real star of the show is the beam which is beautiful. The output has a very incandescent quality, warm with terrific color rendering. Comparing it to my cool white Rotary (purchased last year), colors really "pop". The beam is remarkably smoother, too, thanks to a redesign of the reflector, with a more sharply defined hot spot surrounded by a dimmer halo that transitions smoothly into spill. There is a slightly brighter ring at the very edge, but otherwise, there are zero artifacts, and the color is perfectly even from center to edge. It's easily the best flashlight beam I've ever laid eyes on. It's also better up close with the dark hole just becoming visible at around the 2-inch mark (compared to around 5-inches on my cool white Rotary; that three inch difference is pretty significant in actual use).

As soon as I took the high CRI Rotary out of the package, my wife says, "Oh, you have new flashlight. I guess you won't need this one then," and she immediately pocketed my cool white Rotary! "I've always wanted a nice flashlight. Thanks, hon!" It works out well, I suppose, because she really does prefer cool white over warm.

Hang in there, guys, this one is definitely worth the wait!

Edit: It finally got dark enough to do a backyard walk-around. This is a great outdoor light. Vegetation looks so natural. Comparing throw between the cool white Rotary and high CRI Rotary, the high CRI actually throws a tad better because of the tighter hot spot even though it's lower lumens while the cool white is more diffuse and seems to light up more of the area. They both cover the same area, it's just that the cool white (old reflector design) has a brighter spill. It actually surprised me that the lights appear to be generally equal in brightness even though there's an 80 lumen difference between them; curiously, the high CRI did get noticeably warmer on high power than the cool white.

Last edited:

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Two people over on the: when did you order you hds thread, posted that they just received their hi cri clicky's today. Henry must have gotten some good parts in. :0)

dajab77

Newly Enlightened
Congrats to the.Mtn.Man. Hope you enjoy your new torch. I've been following this thread for awhile and its good to see that the wait was worth it. Perhaps you could post some pics.
dajab77

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
The differences in knurling are likely not due to variances in design, but rather different manufacturers. I believe Henry has had the heads for a while and has been waiting for bodies and/or tails.

the.Mtn.Man: Could you post a photo? Can you visually see the differences?

Thanks,
eala

Imon

Enlightened
This is very good news Mtn.Man
I believe that I ordered my HDS High CRI around the same time as you did so mine should be around the corner.
For awhile today the thought did occur to me that I could wait a full year for my HDS.
Unfortunately when my light does finally does come in I'll be relieved but probably not for the right reason.

kadinh

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on getting your lights in guys. I know how long you've been waiting for them and I for one wouldn't have had that much patience. Glad you're enjoying them too!

anethema

Newly Enlightened
Wow just got an older "EDC Basic" 140GT which has been modded with an XPG-R5 for 200ish lumens.

Love the UI, love the electronic switch. So far great!

bansuri

Enlightened
Mtn Man, has the reflector for the acme lights been redesigned or are you referring to the difference between the acme reflector and legacy reflector?

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The differences in knurling are likely not due to variances in design, but rather different manufacturers. I believe Henry has had the heads for a while and has been waiting for bodies and/or tails.

the.Mtn.Man: Could you post a photo? Can you visually see the differences?
You can see the difference if you look really closely (the knurling on the head is cut slightly shallower), but it's much easier to tell by feel. Anyway, I don't really have the equipment for taking extreme close-up pictures.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can see the difference if you look really closely (the knurling on the head is cut slightly shallower), but it's much easier to tell by feel. Anyway, I don't really have the equipment for taking extreme close-up pictures.
I am sure I know what you mean. My legacy clickies felt rougher and more grippy on the knurling than my first gen rotary.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mtn Man, has the reflector for the acme lights been redesigned or are you referring to the difference between the acme reflector and legacy reflector?
They're both Acme threaded lights, so both are current generation. There was some discussion (with pics) either earlier in this thread or a previous thread showing that the later batch of HDS lights have reflectors with a larger hole at the bottom of the cup where the emitter sits. The difference is fairly easy to spot with the naked eye just looking at the reflectors, but it seems the new design is considerably more artifact free than the earlier design with the trade off being the output is now less diffuse with a brighter hot spot. I kind of prefer the more diffuse beam of the earlier design (the artifacts really didn't bother me), but I have absolutely no complaints about the latest one either.

Edit: Here are the pictures I was referring to:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...stems-EDC-16&p=3916775&viewfull=1#post3916775

Last edited:

sprinkle

Newly Enlightened

I agree that the latest batch of these has much smoother and shallower knurling that the previous ones. But to be honest I think I like it better! If I get time tonight I will try to take some photos comparing them. I have one of the first CW and one of the first HCRI Rotaries that came out.

Things I have noticed about the new light other than the smoother knurling:
The anodizing seems to be a little thicker on the new one... it just seems darker and seems to penetrate into the knurling better.
The output is slightly higher than my other HCRI Rotary. I have no way of testing this, but just from beamshots against the wall and ceiling bouncing the new one does appear to be slightly brighter.
The new Rotary's tail seems to be a little stiffer then the other two that I have. Not so bad that is hard to turn, but definitely stiffer. I know from experience that it will loosen up as I have been carrying a Rotary with me and using it every day for well over a year now.
The hole in the center of the beam when view against something really close is slightly worse than my older HCRI Rotary, but still a huge improvement over the first addition of the CW one!
Is it odd that my new Rotary has a lower serial number than my older one??

Snareman

Enlightened
Congrats to all of the new light recipients! (I feel like I'm congratulating you on receiving a coveted award)

In a sort of unrelated note - when does HDS #16 end and HDS #17 begin?

nbp

Flashaholic
Congrats to all of the new light recipients! (I feel like I'm congratulating you on receiving a coveted award)

In a sort of unrelated note - when does HDS #16 end and HDS #17 begin?

When a mod thinks that 16 is too big and closes it and one of us starts a new one. I think I opened the last two or three. I'll start 17 if I see this one get closed I guess. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.