HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I'm overhauling my collection and replacing several things with 2 more HDS lights. A few days ago, I reported that Henry filled my Custom order in just one day. Now I'm pleased to report yet another fast Custom order, shipped out the same day I ordered it. The new one the way is a Rotary 325, black anodizing, black bezel, glass, raised button.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only difference I can see if it's disabled is that when you "press hold" from off nothing happens.

Nope, you still get light. With momentary disabled, a press-hold turns the light on just like when it is enabled, but when you let go, it just stays on.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Fast order fulfillment on my Custom order from HDS... Ordered late Sunday evening, order shipped Monday afternoon, due to arrive Wednesday!

325 lumen clicky, raised button, black anodize, silver bezel, standard glass, standard black clip to be replaced by an inbound DS Prometheus titanium clip. This will join my two 200 lumen Clickys, and it will take the primary slot if the throw is not significantly less than the 200s.
Do they do a custom Nichia 219b rotary with 1.5 amp max? I'd like more than 170 lumens and I only use imr16340

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standard models are 170 lumens. There are a few 200 lumens nichia 219B HDS. I believe Kid9p has one. He has a WTT thread up. He is looking to trade for a 325 HDS.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
No.

He has a very similar attitude as McGizmo with regards to output/runtime/heat.
I didn't thinknso. Iconsider 1.5 amps conservative and modern drivers are capable of outputting lower current with primaries so it is perfectly safe, especially with rotary format. You would seldom use the max output but it is nice to know it's there. A 200 lumen rotary with 219 might be close to 1.5 amps though.

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
With momentary disabled, a press-hold turns the light on just like when it is enabled, but when you let go, it just stays on.

Sorry, I guess I am a little slow. Please confirm: with momentary enabled, a press-hold from off turns on the light until you let go; and a click from off turns the light on the same way as when momentary is disabled. Am I right?

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standard models are 170 lumens. There are a few 200 lumens nichia 219B HDS. I believe Kid9p has one. He has a WTT thread up. He is looking to trade for a 325 HDS.

Yes I do have one on WTT.

I did have an opportunity to compare my 200 nichia to a 170 lumen nichia recently at a CPF event in NJ.
The 200 is definetely brighter. We even went as far as putting a new CR123 into the 170, just to make sure what we were seeing
was correct.
The 200 definetely rocks :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes I do have one on WTT.

I did have an opportunity to compare my 200 nichia to a 170 lumen nichia recently at a CPF event in NJ.
The 200 is definetely brighter. We even went as far as putting a new CR123 into the 170, just to make sure what we were seeing
was correct.
The 200 definetely rocks :)
Do you know how to measure amps at the tailcap? A comparison would be great! Is output greater with rcr123? Thanks!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know how to measure amps at the tailcap? A comparison would be great! Is output greater with rcr123? Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments all!

Output will not change with rcr batteries.
HDS runs at 1 amp and Henry absolutely will never overdrive an led.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks for the compliments all!

Output will not change with rcr batteries.
HDS runs at 1 amp and Henry absolutely will never overdrive an led.
You consider 1.5 amps over driving? If they all run at 1 amp why is there a 170 and a 200 with the same led?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You consider 1.5 amps over driving? If they all run at 1 amp why is there a 170 and a 200 with the same led?

i didn't say I thought it was overdriving, I stated he doesn't overdrive.
Remember, my technical knowlage is that of a guy who thinks an elf lives in the light.
I do know there are several reasons for the 170 and 200 lumen neutral. There is a big variance in the led and also the reflector can make a difference as well.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Oh, I didn't know they varied that much. Thanks for the 411. I'm always watching cpfmp for a good deal on a rotary 170 219b with a clip. Now I'll have to watch for one of those 200's. Trouble is HDS lights don't usually last long enough for me to see it is for sale before somebody buys it!

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think HDS has likely always driven the lights at 1Amp and output has been determined by the efficiency of the LED used. There will always be variences in Vf which let some LEDs be more efficienct. But to gain a certain level of brightness change you will also see a generational change in LEDs. For example when the lights went from 200 to 250 it was because of the generation migration from XP-G to XP-G2. From 250 to 325 it is from XP-G2 to XP-L, etc........

While I agree with recDNA that the lights 'could' be driven harder, that is not the purpose of these lights and they don't sacrifice anything in the pursuit of that goal. They are a compromise of functionality and runtime, with a decent runtime being a goal at whatever lumen level the light is rated.

quickster47

Newly Enlightened
I have several hundred dollars left over from Christmas and have been wanting/needing/coveting a HDS flashlight for the last 12 months and would like to know what you recommend for a first HDS? My use would be EDC and other.

I have also downloaded all his manuals, read through them several times, read posts on this forum and others and am still not sure what to get.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carl

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several hundred dollars left over from Christmas and have been wanting/needing/coveting a HDS flashlight for the last 12 months and would like to know what you recommend for a first HDS? My use would be EDC and other.

I have also downloaded all his manuals, read through them several times, read posts on this forum and others and am still not sure what to get.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carl

I just jumped on the bandwagon & tried the Executive Clicky(219a) first, then found an old school GDP Executive Clicky, & lastly a Rotary(219b). I'm keeping the rotary because it offers what the the clickies offer with even more output options literally at your finger tips.

The ability to smoothly sweep through 24 levels of light intensity is pretty amazing.

Unless you have an inclination towards high CRI, I would probably get a 325 Lumen Rotary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts