HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

tongkang

Newly Enlightened
Bad news...request outdoor xpl vs nichia beamshot please:poke:

If anyone is on the fence about getting the final run of 4000K XP-L organized by Hogo, please do so now. I can tell you this light rocks. I may not be a fan of the tint but it really isn't a horrible tint. I think I am just being nit picky that's all. So I gave it a chance to prove its worth. Been using this light frequently, almost on a daily basis, and I do say for all uses in the outdoors it does a great job. It is also a nice light to use at night and in the house. The warmer tint is quite comforting to the eyes and helps promote melatonin build up in our system to help us sleep. The big hot spot is great for general usage and the high output is just great! Got a chance to compare this to the cool white version and I would go for the 4000K anytime. My favorite 170 lumen Nichia is on desk job now.

recDNA

Flashaholic
If anyone is on the fence about getting the final run of 4000K XP-L organized by Hogo, please do so now. I can tell you this light rocks. I may not be a fan of the tint but it really isn't a horrible tint. I think I am just being nit picky that's all. So I gave it a chance to prove its worth. Been using this light frequently, almost on a daily basis, and I do say for all uses in the outdoors it does a great job. It is also a nice light to use at night and in the house. The warmer tint is quite comforting to the eyes and helps promote melatonin build up in our system to help us sleep. The big hot spot is great for general usage and the high output is just great! Got a chance to compare this to the cool white version and I would go for the 4000K anytime. My favorite 170 lumen Nichia is on desk job now.
It's the wait that's the killer. I think I would rather purchase a lower output model for a bargain then have Vinh modify the led.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the wait that's the killer. I think I would rather purchase a lower output model for a bargain then have Vinh modify the led.
Looking at the many HDS which I had sent in to Henry in the past, and that includes the 18650 tube which I just got back from Henry, and now possibly my 4000K having to make a trip back too, I wouldn't want to void my warranty and be stuck with it. I am patient and would rather wait for it.

Shooter21

Enlightened
Looking at the many HDS which I had sent in to Henry in the past, and that includes the 18650 tube which I just got back from Henry, and now possibly my 4000K having to make a trip back too, I wouldn't want to void my warranty and be stuck with it. I am patient and would rather wait for it.
Hi Andy do you have any 3400 mah cells that fit the tube? thanks

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The warmer tint is quite comforting to the eyes and helps promote melatonin build up in our system to help us sleep.
Thanks for explaining that. I always thought that an ice white beam was best, then I used my cool 18650 Hound Dog which is warmer, and realised I felt relaxed on a walk rather than tense. It's the Melatonin! Thought I was imagining it.
P

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Andy do you have any 3400 mah cells that fit the tube? thanks
The Olight 3400mah fits in the clicky tube perfectly but is a little snug with the rotary tube. My problem isn't with the snugness but rather to do with the stop screw on the rotary dial poking out of the internal wall of the tube, and puncturing the battery sleeve each time I inserted the battery. Henry said he will file the screw down for me when I sent it back for repair on the rotary electronics but it came back to me hardly filed down. Still punctures my battery sleeve. Need to get a size 0 screw driver to remove the screw and file it down more.

Thanks for explaining that. I always thought that an ice white beam was best, then I used my cool 18650 Hound Dog which is warmer, and realised I felt relaxed on a walk rather than tense. It's the Melatonin! Thought I was imagining it.
P
A warmer tint actually is more comforting on the eyes too. For spotting things far away and for raw output I don't care about tints, cool white is fine. For general use, or use around the campsite, I would prefer warm tints as it is more relaxing and comforting in my opinion, and really helps psychologically in providing me the feel of warmth.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry started with headlights for caving, see here for an interesting story of his first flashlights.

He's an avid caver. I wonder what headlight he uses now since he doesn't make headlights anymore. Or does he use a HDS EDC with some kind of helmet mount?

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry started with headlights for caving, see here for an interesting story of his first flashlights.

He's an avid caver. I wonder what headlight he uses now since he doesn't make headlights anymore. Or does he use a HDS EDC with some kind of helmet mount?

The current rumor is that he is working on a new HDS headlamp. Hogo mentioned something about 5-10 pages back.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
P

I am a fan of more neutral or warmer tinted lights. I have brought back into use a lot of old favorites that were either too cool or had other undesirable tint colors by using filters. Check this out:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320811-Changing-LED-Tint-With-Filters&highlight=

Derek mentions somewhere in there he likes a light with a red filter on it while getting ready for bed to relax.

Most of my recent HDS lights are HCRI and not cool at all, but I have two of the Osram Golden Dragon lights that had a cold, slightly greenish tint I did not like using. I cut Lee filters for them that completely remove the green and lower the temp. a good 1000 degrees, and I absolutely love them now. I just cut a disc carefully until it just wedges in the front of the bezel and is held by friction. Can be plucked out with a piece of tape to change, and protects the surface of my lens. The loss of brightness through them is trivial compared to the increase in pleasure of using the light now.

http://shop.leefiltersusa.com/Swatch-Book-Designers-Edition-SWB.htm

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dollars to donuts, he uses his own dedicated headlamp...

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
The Orbtronic 3400 mAh is an excellent battery and a perfect fit in the 18650 tube.

(I have an extra new 18650 Rotary tube. If anyone needs one before I return it, PM me soonest.)

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was caving myself as a youth. I went many times to the Nidleloch in Switzerland. I don't remember what light I used. Some of us had carbite lamps. I remember this because somebody once threw carbite in the drainage pipe in the street...

I don't think a flashlight is a good option for caving. It's difficult to attach it to the helmet properly. It would be nice to go again to Nidleloch with my children. It's quite an adventure.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
So here's an interesting one.... Took my Group Buy 4000K w/18650 on vacation last week. It got sprayed with sea water the first day. I rinsed it with fresh water shortly after. Woke up to this:

19893226905_2a78bfd565_c.jpg

19705207670_788316c773_c.jpg

So... that's after 1 week's worth of use, 12 hours after a salt water spray/fresh water rinse. It's just cosmetic, but disappointing- It shouldn't do that this quickly.

Thoughts?
I think it looks kind of cool, actually. Gives the light a little character. And since it doesn't affect the actual operation, I say don't worry about it.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC Rotary 4000K XP-L Neutral is on sale in the CPF Mall.

I have an EDC Executive 200 HiCRI and wanted to try a Rotary. That's why I bought a 4000K from Trip Miller from the first run. It arrived about a week ago. The 4000K Rotary is a very nice light. I tried it for a few days and I have to admit I like the clicky interface better than the rotary. And I want to have only one flashlight. Like in the old days as a boy scout. I always had only one flashlight. It was enough then and it is enough now.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an EDC Executive 200 HiCRI and wanted to try a Rotary. That's why I bought a 4000K from Trip Miller from the first run. It arrived about a week ago. The 4000K Rotary is a very nice light. I tried it for a few days and I have to admit I like the clicky interface better than the rotary. And I want to have only one flashlight. Like in the old days as a boy scout. I always had only one flashlight. It was enough then and it is enough now.

I like the 1 light philosophy and practice it as much as I can. HDS is a great 1 light kind of light...

recDNA

Flashaholic

That didn't last long. Did your bezel have pock marks as well?

nbp

Flashaholic

You can program the Rotary to act exactly like a Clicky, if you like.

Oh, and also, One light is never enough.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 1 light philosophy and practice it as much as I can. HDS is a great 1 light kind of light...

Although I don't practice it, I'm also a fan of the One Light way. I still can't/won't pick just one, but there's a good chance my One Light would be an HDS as well. Congrats Fuchshp!

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
How easily can a raised button be changed to a flush button if wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts