HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

neco

Enlightened
1449c7e6a119460695c1d66791268ac0.jpg

Rotary Panda with SS40, Benchmade Bugout with Flytanium scales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Panda love.......Bring back the Panda as an option! I need another 18650 ! :D

NLT Panda.......Amber with white diffusor and Trit bezel. If the bottom falls out I could live with just these two.:D

(Could only get one pic to load)

Attachments

• 4AAF4C4E-DD66-4B0E-97A5-9C39E86FC946.jpg
    4AAF4C4E-DD66-4B0E-97A5-9C39E86FC946.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 270

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome pic Hogo! Any reason you chose the medium Tsar over the regular 41mm?

It's the GSAR... automatic. I picked the medium after thinking on it for about a year... I figured it would be big enough on my wrist without looking... HUGE. I was right. It doesn't look small at all on my wrist. I don't like watches that look too big. I might pick up the anthracite model in the standard size... being all black, it may look a bit smaller than stainless on my wrist.

Last edited:

neco

Enlightened
Sorry not sure if this question has been asked/answered before but I am currently looking into a rechargeable option for my HDS light. So question is what would happen to a HDS light in the event that a lithium battery, like INR 16340, were to vent inside of the light?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry not sure if this question has been asked/answered before but I am currently looking into a rechargeable option for my HDS light. So question is what would happen to a HDS light in the event that a lithium battery, like INR 16340, were to vent inside of the light?

Very bad things will happen. INR is a very safe chemistry however and HDS lights are designed not to tax the battery to a point where bad things happen.

moltenmag

Enlightened
It's the GSAR... automatic. I picked the medium after thinking on it for about a year... I figured it would be big enough on my wrist without looking... HUGE. I was right. It doesn't look small at all on my wrist. I don't like watches that look too big. I might pick up the anthracite model in the standard size... being all black, it may look a bit smaller than stainless on my wrist.

Gotcha. I love my 41mm TSAR. Marathons are the ultimate utilitarian tool watch. Remind me of what Rolex used to be before they became jewelry status symbols. I think you'd love the larger size.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotcha. I love my 41mm TSAR. Marathons are the ultimate utilitarian tool watch. Remind me of what Rolex used to be before they became jewelry status symbols. I think you'd love the larger size.

I'll most likely get the regular size in anthracite... but it may be a month or two. What started all this was my quarts Aquaracer... the battery died. I hadn't had a quartz for quite some time. I only had this 16 months... supposed to go 50 months on a battery. I hate things that stop working that I can't get working myself quickly. While time isn't nearly as important to me as it once was (hell, I work at HDS so we all know about time issues). So while I was in the store dropping off the Tag for a battery replacement, I bought a Calibre 5 Aquaracer and then ordered the GSAR which arrived the next day. Also ordering the tools to replace the battery in the quartz... which I might sell to fund the anthracite GSAR. One is none and two is one... right?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been wearing a Casio Pathfinder Sport since 2005. The Casio sets itself nightly using the Atomic Clock and the battery charges daily with sunlight. My older eyes cannot read reverse type (white on black background) too well so my world is quite limited. The Casio does look nice next to the Titanum HDS Executive.

casio.jpg

Last edited:

moltenmag

Enlightened
I have been wearing a Casio Pathfinder Sport since 2005. The Casio sets itself nightly using the Atomic Clock and the battery charges daily with sunlight. My older eyes cannot read reverse type (white on black background) too well so my world is quite limited. The Casio does look nice next to the Titanum HDS Executive.

casio.jpg

Awesome. I love casios. I have an F91-w that just won't quit. Yeah how are you liking your Ti HDS?

moltenmag

Enlightened
I'll most likely get the regular size in anthracite... but it may be a month or two. What started all this was my quarts Aquaracer... the battery died. I hadn't had a quartz for quite some time. I only had this 16 months... supposed to go 50 months on a battery. I hate things that stop working that I can't get working myself quickly. While time isn't nearly as important to me as it once was (hell, I work at HDS so we all know about time issues). So while I was in the store dropping off the Tag for a battery replacement, I bought a Calibre 5 Aquaracer and then ordered the GSAR which arrived the next day. Also ordering the tools to replace the battery in the quartz... which I might sell to fund the anthracite GSAR. One is none and two is one... right?

Haha yeah. Sounds like love at first sight. The Anthracite GSAR looks so good! I'm waiting for them to re-introduce their Steel Navigator next year. Like HDS Systems, I hope Marathon stays around because I love their design philosophy.

archimedes

Flashaholic
It's the GSAR... automatic....

GSAR ... TSAR ... JSAR ...

6duqxA0.jpg

... I'm sure Hogo will tell us if we get too far OT :grin2:

I think more people have asked me about this watch than any other I've ever worn.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome. I love casios. I have an F91-w that just won't quit. Yeah how are you liking your Ti HDS?

My HDS titanium executive with the high noon LED is Awesome. I won the lottery with the Nichia 219C 5700K LED as there is no blue tint artifact in the beam.

The he only issue with my Casio watch solution is that it turns my wrist blue when it gets wet. Was looking at the Tag option mentioned above with an automatic movement, white face, and rubber strap. I understand someone will have to put the rubber strap on as that does not come with the automatic movement. Do you think a Tag will turn my wrist blue when it gets wet?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think a Tag will turn my wrist blue when it gets wet?

My skin composition is... well, I've rusted cheap watches in a few days. Silver turns black in a day on my skin. Gold, on the left hand 4th finger drains my soul.
Does the Casio have a copper alloy back? My Tag and Marathon have never done anything like that... though the rubber band on the Marathon makes me hungry... it smells like vanilla... I wonder if HDS can start producing rubber buttons that smell like vanilla?

Haha yeah. Sounds like love at first sight. The Anthracite GSAR looks so good! I'm waiting for them to re-introduce their Steel Navigator next year. Like HDS Systems, I hope Marathon stays around because I love their design philosophy.

They have been around since 1939 (earlier if you count Weinsturm Watch -1904). All watches were made in house (Canada) until the 90's, then because of government contracts, they had to outsource, which they did to Gallet & Co in Switzerland... and they have been around since 1466. I think they will stay around for some time longer.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Casio have a copper alloy back?

The Casio is an inexpensive watch and is probably made of an inexpensive metal. I put a Tag Heuer Aquaracer 44 mm, white dial, rubber band WAP2011.FT6027 on my consideration list for the future when the Casio stops working. I imagine in the next year or two the battery will stop charging. The thing that concerns me about the Tag is that the tritium in the dial wears out in ten years or less. Still, it may be worth it to keep my skin from changing color from an inexpensive watch.

I can appreciate why Henry does not want to put Tritium on the HDS because Tritium will wear out decades before the HDS. That reminds me, I need to put the value of my HDS lights in my Will so someone does not sell them for $25 each :laughing:.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tag is that the tritium in the dial wears out in ten years or less. Still, it may be worth it to keep my skin from changing color from an inexpensive watch.

I can appreciate why Henry does not want to put Tritium on the HDS because Tritium will wear out decades before the HDS. That reminds me, I need to put the value of my HDS lights in my Will so someone does not sell them for $25 each :laughing:.

Tags use Super Lumi-Nova and not tritium vials so not an issue over time but they do need to be charged with sunlight (UV... and the HDS UV works great for this) but they don't glow all night like tritium vials... I figure after 10 years, maybe there will be something else on the market... or not.

Henry is not much of a tritium guy. He just uses the locator beacon.

snowdriver

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone one both a HDS with the SS40 and the Nichia 219B 4000K emitter? I'm wondering how they compare in tint and throw as I'm thinking about chosing one of these for my stainless steel light.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. I do not know if one of this LED has more throw. I never recognized at least that one has more throw. Therefore I would say it is the same from the throw.

The 219B 4000K (NB40) has a slightly rosy beam. The beam itself is 100% homogen regarding the light color. At least all my 219B HDS lights are the same with this homogen light color with the NB40. The NB45 is not that homogen with the light color.
The SS40 is almost homogen in the beam color. But the difference is not big between inner and outer beam color. The beam itself is not that rosy.
This rosy is the good point on the 219B xxxxK 9080 LEDs they have a lot red light (high R9 value). That is the reason why this LEDs are not Hi CRI (CRI >90), the are Ultra High CRI (CRI>95).

Either way both LEDs are great. Hope that helped a little bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.