Headlamp for running/jogging?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which headlamp do you guys use for jogging? My Rayovac 1aa is no good because the hinge is weak and the light stickout too far from the headband. it'll move with the up and down motion. My crappy petzl is more comfortable and doesn't move but the output is bad and get's washed out with the street lighting.

i was thinking maybe an eos would do better as it's more flatter. anything with a battery pack is too heavy imo.

anybody jog with a headlamp?

acourvil

Enlightened
I like the Black Diamond Zenix IQ. It has a 2AA battery pack in the back, which balances the weight of the light in front pretty nicely. If you mod it to replace the Lux driver with a Seoul, you get a very nice beam with a gradual transition from hot spot to spill. They also show up on sale intermittently for $20-$25. I get maybe 2 hours run time on bright with fully charged Eneloops (and some additional time after that of diminishing brightness after it drops out of regulation). I have also run it with a single Li ion and a dummy, and that gets an hour plus (but a protected battery will shut down before it drops out of regulation, so you go from full power to off).

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your comment on the Rayovac headlamp. I have it stashed in the glove box of my truck with a Lithium AA cell.

I use a Seoul modded EOS around the house/yard, and it is a good performer for the money. I kept the stock optic, too. It is comfortable once you get the correct fit on your head, and I find it to be well balanced. I don't use it for jogging, though.

hopkins

Enlightened
hi f22shift
my rayovac 1aa hinge is also weak so I did this to it.
It'll be dark so who cares how it looks as no one will see.
actually works great. shifting the rolled up paper around to get the right
angle on the beam evan I can do. hah!
weakhingefix.jpg

cheers
-hopkins

PS- was thinking about epoxying more plastic on to increase the forehead base pad area for more stability. -quick and easy-

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can tighten the hinge on the rayovac. With a x-axto pop the cap near where the battery cap lanyard attaches. Don't lose this really tiny part as it holds the lanyard thing in place. Inside is a small phillips.

hopkins

Enlightened
OMG! Thanks cavedave! I looked that over and completely missed
the hidden screw.
Guess I'm too quick to assume the mfg'er is always a freaking cheap
son-of-a-gun.
hopkins

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Good tip, thanks! Guess my Rayovac hasn't loosened up yet as I run 4 miles a day with mine and it never moves from the position I set it for.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
good one cave dave. :twothumbs

i still don't think it's a good jogging lamp. the base is too small, the strap too skinny and the light too far out. walking, hiking and biking are fine though so far.

just finished tightening my rayovac. feels like brand new.

spyderknut

Enlightened
I think the Rayovac is great for jogging but I use a lithium cell in mine which makes the front end a lot lighter. If there are streetlights I usually shut my headlight off. I use red when I can get away with it (relatively obstacle-free path) to preserve night vision and occasionally I get distracted gazing at stars. The only things that I think could make this a better light is several levels of white and a HDS EDC - like beam pattern. OK, build quality could be a little better too.

msxtr

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I use a cheap 4 white "normal" leds with 3 batteries type AAA and another times I use my Petzl Myp XP tuned with a seoul P4 u-bin. If the tracks are easy the use the 4 led if the circuit are more dificult I use the Petzl.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

hopkins

Enlightened
seems petzl's myo xp is popular in Spain, as msxtr points out.
When there is no trail and you have to get down out of the hills so you
can be at work the next day the myo xp does the job (if your legs are
up to it that is!:candle::crackup:)
How many of us have had partners say: 'just 5 more minutes rest please!'
at increasing frequent rest stops...?

msxtr

Newly Enlightened
seems petzl's myo xp is popular in Spain, as msxtr points out.
When there is no trail and you have to get down out of the hills so you
can be at work the next day the myo xp does the job (if your legs are
up to it that is!:candle::crackup:)
How many of us have had partners say: 'just 5 more minutes rest please!'
at increasing frequent rest stops...?

Hi, I suppose that are normal that the petzl are popular in Spain already the manufacturer are French, hehehe. It's a great heatlamp, but a little expensive, here about 90€

My legs to take time 2 days to groan of the stiffness sing :sick2::) I need 10 minutes more, not 5 :D

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

scottaw

Enlightened
I'm gonna be running a 5K trailrun with my Apex Pro here in a few weeks, i'm hoping for good things. I'll check back and let ya know,.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would a Zebralight work for this? It certainly couldn't be any closer to the head.

FYI: There was a thread today about how Streamlight is upgrading nine of their flashlight/headlamps with higher power LEDs - the "C2" version of the new K2 from Lumileds. THe Argo LED and the Argo HP are among those getting the new C2. This new Argo HP uses two CR123 batteries, so it may be too bulky to run with. It has a low and a high level.

spyderknut

Enlightened
I have run with my Zebralight but the light is very flat flood and I prefer at least a little throw for running. Honestlyly though, when my eyes are adjusted to the darkness, I am perfectly happy running with the Zebralight on low.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i actually sewed an elastic loop on my petzl and stuff an l0d in. i cant feel the weght and it's the beam pattern i need.

headlamps are awful in the cold. my own breathe reflects the light back in my eyes.

i've been hand holding an l0d for dark spots. i'm just worried about surprising nocturnal animals(racoons,skunks). i once walked 2ft from a skunk and didnt realize it was there.:eek:

a 1aa fwd clickie like the ndi would be perfect til the weather warms up...