Headlamps with good beam length - opinions and options

Glow808

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I'm after a replacement for my Nitecore HC50 (98m beam length), something with a less white light, with greater beam length for outdoor use, takes a 18650 rechargeable.

I find the HC50 on Turbo inadequate when used to find paths and distinctive landmarks in the far distance when I hike at night. The beam doesn't reach far enough for what I use it for. I find the white light takes a lot of concentration on my eyes and they tire and dry out quite quick as I wear contact lenses.

Having looked through Zebralight's homepage, I find the descriptions a little difficult to make comparison as they don't give beam lengths. Which model would satisfy what I'm looking for?

The HC30 is also on my shortlist (178m beam length) but want to have options from other brands.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I have the Nitecore HC90 and I have been happy with it overall. I find the R/G /B to be a little underpowered. I primarily use mine for outdoor activities. Vin mods these as well so you can send him your HC90 and he will give it a boost.

Nitecore is coming out with a couple of new headlamps this year that's might be worth a look.

Bob

dirkomatic

Newly Enlightened
I really like the color on my HC30W. Skilhunt H03R in NW could work for you. Also, Fenix HL55 is nice if you can deal with the 30 second turbo burst.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamps are seldom designed for throw, because long distance illumination is not their typical use, and because getting a well focused beam typically takes a larger optic than is convenient for a headlamp.

For those headlamps like the HC30 that do throw further, you're going to have a more defined hotspot that may compromise how useful you find it for up-close use.

My suggestion would be to instead get a separate flashlight to carry for use when you need to see long distances.

That said, it looks like the Fenix HP30 throws pretty far. It's rated at a peak intensity of 13,500 candela for a 233 meter beam distance. It uses 2 x 18650 in a detachable battery pack.

The LED Lenser H14.2 is rated at 300 meters and has adjustable beam focus. Uses 4 x AA.

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
You might want to check out Spike Lights - designed for night sports & navigation with a 300m spot and a flood for up close in a single head-mounted unit. Programmabe UI and all sorts of goodies, can run off 1 or 2 18650s.

I don't have one but know people who do and they are full of praise for them.

Not cheap but the specs look great. I neither have the need nor the funds at the moment unfortunately.

spikelights.com.au

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore HC30 is a bit throwy if that's the way you want to go, but I'd definitely choose NW if you go that way. Mine is the CW and it's pretty grey and so it's a bit harsh on the eyes.

Another suggestion might be the zebra light H600w Mark III. I don't own one but it might be worth looking at. [emoji4]

Glow808

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.
Seems like the HC30 is the best upgrade and maybe with an additional smallish and light hand torch; trying to minimize weight & kit to carry on a trek so every little saving helps!

Does anyone know if the HC30 has power remain indicator? It doesn't mention it in the descriptions on their product homepage.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imalent HR20. Got a xp-l hi led and a reflector that is optimiced for it, gives good reach. usb plug for recharging, comes with a battery. Look for the group by here on cpf, and you''l get one cheap.

Last edited: