Help me mod my E2d to LED

nuggett

Enlightened
I am looking for assistance modding my E2d to a 60 lumen or so LED.
I need a parts list so I can fit it myselfor just pay someone to do it for me.
Thanks for any pointers

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not aware of any stock mod to a SF E2D to make it an LEd (ie replacing the bulb assembly.)

Is putting on a KL4 HA BK head an option?

nuggett

Enlightened
I wonder if I can switch out the guts of the E3d head with the KL4?

a99raptors

Enlightened
Hi Nugget!

Here is an idea:
swap the Kl4 head onto the E2d body.

Unscrew the TID on the E2D head and replace it on the KL4. It can be pretty tough at first, but it is doable. I did it using rubber O rings around the TID part of the bezel, and that gave me a good enough grip to loosen it with bare hands.

You now have a KL4 on the E2D body, with body ends having the strike bezel.

nuggett

Enlightened
Thanks raptor
that what I will do. Just for the hell of it,I removed the reflector from a P61 bulb and tried to fit that, but the bulb is too long. I used a heat gun to loosen the glue and it worked well, so I will try that on the bezels.
Thanks again

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want something that doesn't generate as much heat as the KL4, and gives you more runtime and about as much light; you can convert the E2D head to accept an Aleph light engine.

What I did was bore the head out to accommodate an IMS 17mm reflector. This little reflector puts out a nice beam. I haven't tried it with a McR16 yet. You could also use a McR20, with a bit more elbow grease and a thinner lens. After you bore the head out to accommodate the reflector of your choice, you'll need to "chase" the existing 13/16-20 threads with a tap. I use a bottoming tap.

Once you do this, you'll have an E series head that will take any Aleph LE.

Oh, I forgot about the curved lens in the E2d. It will make life easier if you swap to a flat lens. I've done many of these mods on E1e's, since the stock incand output is so weak.