help me pick a mountain bike

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool this is the tire that oin my moutain bike i have now .is it street?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, those are dirt tires. I've ridden a couple thousand miles on the street with tires like that, though. If I knew how to upload photos I'd show you the tires on my bike, which I believe is more of a combo tire. They have sort of a zig-zag (sort of) pattern that pretty much makes contact with the ground, on the center of the tire, all of the time. On the tires you show in the photo, there is a lot of space between the knobbies down the center.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It sounds like you'll be putting a lot of miles on the bike so I recommend first off avoiding cheap department store bikes. The derailleurs, chain, and sprockets are usually shot within 1000 miles (believe me, I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif) and then need to be replaced. Also, they usually use cheap rolled steel rims which are heavy, vibrate at speed, and are horrible at absorbing shock. You need something with decent components and alloy rims. I'd also say that unless you really need to ride off road get a regular road bike with 700c or 27" tires, either 1.125" to 1.375" wide. When I rode my friend's mountain bike it felt like there was an invisible hand holding me back. A road bike takes much less effort to move. A worthwhile extra is a rear wheel aero disk like I have on my bike:

Raleigh.JPG

The aero disk gives me an extra 2 mph or so for a given amount of pedaling effort. For essentials get a bike computer (they're often under $10 now, sometimes even under $5), a headlight and taillight (no self-respecting CPF member would be without lights on their bike anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ), and a water bottle if you'll be doing long rides. I'll second the recommendations to get a helmet even though I don't personally wear one. Optional equipment might include an air pump and tire repair kit so that you can repair flats on the road. Again, I don't carry one because I don't ride that far but you certainly don't want to have to nurse a bike with flat tires 20 miles back home.

Once you get the bike it's a good idea to learn how to do basic repairs like change the cables, remove and clean the chain (requires a chain removal tool), replace the rear sprocket (requires a matching socket and a long wrench), true the wheels (requires a truing tool), and of course replace/patch a leaking inner tube. Someone in your position will save lots of money by avoiding the repair shop for simple repairs like these. The tools I mentioned can usually be had for $5 to $10 each, sometimes less. As to riding, my best advice is to ride as if you're invisible, meaning to ride in such a way that you don't depend on other cars seeing you to avoid accidents. Also, avoid very high traffic streets until you get a few months experience, and avoid roads with very fast traffic like two-lane country roads entirely if possible. Oh, and always ride with traffic, never against it.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
That tire appears to be a WTB Velociraptor--a pretty nice off-road tire, but VERY heavy and slow rolling.

By the way, there is rolling resistance, which is the same whether going slow or fast, then there is weight--which you feel while trying to accelerate or turn, but not while trying to maintain speed.

My favorite tires are Hutchinson Pythons (especially the Air-lite version). They are high-volume (lotsa cushion--seem to add an inch of suspension) and very fast rolling. I used to race them off-road.

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=21897

The secret to them is the high volume, small-stiff knobs and air pressure: elevate the pressure for faster rolling, and decrease the pressure for excellent grip (a LOT of surface area) off-road. They positively rock in sand and drier terrain.

Probably the only weakness is mud--but they still worked there too. The Air-lite version has soft-ish rubber, and may wear more quickly on pavement.

There are several mountainbike tires that are both fast rolling and perform reasonably off-road.
Michelin Jet, Bontrager Revolt SS, Bontrager Revolt Super-X, Conti Town & country and Traffic, IRC Mythos XC slick, Kenda Kwick, Kenda Kwest, Panaracer Mach SS, WTB Nanoraptor...and many more!

But, a hybrid might work nicely too.

Bob

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just got back from bike shop tryied a 16 inch trek 3900 it was kinda tall for me to.lol maybe i need a kids bike i will look ast hybrids geep. o and bob i think that is the tire i have i saw that word some where.

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
If your current bike is too big, theres a possibility you could find a bike shop which would use it as part exchange for another new/second hand bike.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
glenthemole said:
If your current bike is too big, theres a possibility you could find a bike shop which would use it as part exchange for another new/second hand bike.

[/ QUOTE ]goodf idea glen. hey jtr cool bike

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Hmm... I need to go dig out and clean up the <have to go look for the name even> DiamondBack Traverse that I bought for $100 from a buddy who upgraded years ago!

No suspention beyond what the tires CST give.

It had enough air in the tires to allow me to chase a dog around the back yard using the alien blue light from a SL 4AA 7LED!

It has decent Shimano running gear and brakes. I MAY begin riding with an eye towards biking to work.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
"It had enough air in the tires to allow me to chase a dog around the back yard using the alien blue light from a SL 4AA 7LED!"

OK, that paints a darn silly picture!!!

Bob

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be worthwhile to take your existing bike to a bike shop so they can evaluate the problems. It might be possible to tune up the mechanicals to the point that they will work well for you. If the frame is really too big, there is not much that can be done about that, but the bike shop can tell you for sure if it is or not and might be able to make some adjustments that will make it fit better. Most people who ride bikes have a poor fitting bike because they just don't know all of the finer points of bike fitting. The folks in a real bike shop can help with that.

If you find a friendly person, they should be able to tell you with just a quick look and no charge if it is possible to improve the fit and if the mechanicals are worth the cost of a tune-up.

Fat

Newly Enlightened
Try looking up wrenchsciend for a recommendations on bike fit.you need to go through a couple of self measurements before you can get the results.

http://wrenchscience.com/WS1/default.asp

For tyres, i would recommend semislicks.Its a good balance between on road efficiency and off road usability.Kenda ones offers tyres at high psi value of 80-85 so your tubes wont go squashy.Good luck!