help me to find a headlamp for night running...

GerryL

Newly Enlightened
I use the Tikka XP for about everything. I've been running with it recently, usually only need the low setting. It's bigger than some, but it's been fine for my 3-4 mile runs. I also snowshoe with it in the winter, and I just came in from the woods when I used it to check on a game camera I've got out back. I've tried a few headlights, and I have to say this is my favorite all-around light. I also put in the red diffuser for when I go flying, then I have a good backup light in case of electrical failure. The only time I don't like it (or any headlight for that matter) is when I'm out and my breath/vapor is so thick/visible that the light illuminates it and blinds me. The convenience of a headlight sure is nice though. On last nights run I decided to carry two other flashlights for comparison on the run. One was the ROV 3watt 2AA...about 1/2 way through the run a neighbors dog was out. Normally they're not a problem, but with the time change they're not used to us running after dark. I could hear the dog barking a bit aggressively as we approached, then it made the run, blasting across the lawn and into the road, now snarling a bit. We stopped, Robin got the OCS ready, but when it was 10' away I lit it up with the ROV...Dead silence and it came to a skidding halt! It's eyes were like saucers in the light. Then it just turned around and went back up to the house with a few meek barks along the way. :) It was nice to not have to hit it with the OCS.
-Gerry

chris_m

Enlightened
I use the Tikka XP for about everything.
...I've tried a few headlights, and I have to say this is my favorite all-around light.
Ah, but have you tried the PT Eos? Is far brighter than a Tikka XP, and also regulated so keeps constant brightness. IMHO it is far superior to the Tikka XP, at least for what the OP wants (where the diffuser and red tint cover aren't very useful).

framboisier

Newly Enlightened
I finally buy a BLACK DIAMOND ZENIX IQ on deutch-ebay

reasons :
-good regulation
-several modes
-not heavy
-running with 2AA
-possibilitiy to mod it if i think the bright is not enough

thanks for all your posts, i will give you a review when i will receive it

;)

GerryL

Newly Enlightened
Ah, but have you tried the PT Eos? Is far brighter than a Tikka XP, and also regulated so keeps constant brightness. IMHO it is far superior to the Tikka XP, at least for what the OP wants (where the diffuser and red tint cover aren't very useful).

Hmm, no I haven't...it looks very interesting though. Another one for the list. And I thought I was set for a while since I bought 17 flashlights in the last 6 days. I think I have a problem. (at least 12 of them were a dozen PALs I split with someone).

acourvil

Enlightened
I finally buy a BLACK DIAMOND ZENIX IQ on deutch-ebay

reasons :
-good regulation
-several modes
-not heavy
-running with 2AA
-possibilitiy to mod it if i think the bright is not enough

thanks for all your posts, i will give you a review when i will receive it

;)

The mod is very easy if you just want to swap the main emitter (lux for seoul):

XenixIQ1.JPG

XenixIQ2.JPG

XenixIQ4.JPG

I also tried swapping the concentrator lens for a reflector, but decided I liked the lens better (and avoided the need add a flat lens to seal the reflector)

GaryF

Enlightened
Current 2007 version of the Zenix-IQ has a reflector, the older 2006 version used the plastic optic. I modded the 2006 version with a Seoul SSCP4 with a good beam result by just reusing the optic, but I'm not sure what will happen when attempting the change with the newer reflector version.

Buying off Ebay it could end up being a reflector or an optic.

BSBG

Enlightened
I have the current version with the reflector. I took it apart and it doesn't look too hard to swap the star, but can I reuse the same reflector with an SSC P4, or do I need a different sized opening? That would complicate the swap a bit...

acourvil

Enlightened
Should be the same. You might need need a .030 spacer to get it in the right position, depending on how the reflector is set up. I haven't tried it with this light, but generally the seouls are pretty close to a straight swap with the lux.

cedarcreek

Newly Enlightened
i dont want just a lamp for running, i practice also "course d'orientation" (don't know the english for this sport...) you runn in forest/country in order to find "tags" (balises).

so i look for a just middle with lightweigt and bright... i think i will get a ICON not expensive on US ebay and i'll maybe mod it later

I just bought a headlamp made for orienteering---A Silva 478:
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/silva_478_lightweight_headlamp/

I put together a battery pack from US cell suppliers rather than pay big bucks for the Silva packs, which cost more than the headlamp. I have a 10-cell pack of 4/3 Af cells. At 6V, the 10 NiMH cells give you 8000 mAh (rather than the 9000 mAh Silva). I paid about $50US for that battery pack. (I did have to order the connector from Sweden: http://www.letro.se/default.asp?pag...op/shopfiles/shopartinfo_mer.ASP?ProdId=16657 )

It's awesome for running at night. I wear the battery in a small camelback pack under my shirt.

I get 2.5-3 hours of 20W runtime, and double that on 10W.

The most amazing thing is how light it is on your head. You notice it much less than even a Princeton Tec EOS. It's that light.

Yeah, it's halogen. It's old tech. But unless you're doing an adventure race (where you need all-night runtimes), it's amazing. I prefer the incandescent color rendition, too. (Although I do have some less powerful LEDs with good color.)

There are several 10W/20W manufacturers. I got this one because at the time it was the cheapest I could find. I might have gotten a Mila (with the aluminum reflector) if I could have gotten it for less.

There has been a technological explosion with high-end bikelight HIDs and LEDs, but the prices for those products seem too high.

I really want one of those Argo HP headlamps. Two or three 18650s would get you through the night.

Last edited:

chris_m

Enlightened
Though one of the big advantages of my LED setup is the size of the battery - two 18650 LiIon cells will power the Quad LED for 1.5 hours on high (700mA), with longer runtimes without much less light if I turn it down a tad - I reckon the 175mA 6 hour setting is still as bright as a 20W halogen.

BTW Silva connectors are just Molex 3191 series http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?N=0&Ntk=I18NAll&Ntt=236-3117
- though surely also available in the US.

cedarcreek

Newly Enlightened
BTW Silva connectors are just Molex 3191 series http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?N=0&Ntk=I18NAll&Ntt=236-3117
- though surely also available in the US.

I looked at the photo and the data sheet, and they don't show anything about the 2-conductor version. Looking at what they show, you'd never guess that was the right series. The metal pin inserts look right.

I've been toying with the idea of making a plug-and-play mod for the 478 by making a little board/heat sink with bipins of the right spacing on the bottom, and one or more emitters on the top at the right focal position in the reflector.

BSBG

Enlightened
I modded my Zenix (reflector version) today. It was simple, even for a soldering newbie like me. I checked the fit of the reflector prior to removing the Lux, it appears fine and in focus.

The swap took all of 15 minutes from start to finish, and the output is much greater. I used a USVOH star from Photonfanatic for a 'warm' tint.

It's still daylight, but roaming around the dark basement, the output is much greater on all 3 levels. Beam pattern seems about the same - large center hot spot and plenty of spill. The next early morning run will tell for sure.

Edited to add some thoughts after use...:thumbsup:

I highly recommend swapping the emitter. The headlamp is now a true multi level headlamp. With the stock Luxeon, the 2 5mm LEDs on high were about equal in output to the Lux on low, maybe even medium. Now, the P4 on low is a bit brighter and has more throw than the 5mms on high, and the P4 on medium or high is just amazing. I have been using the P4 on low for road running in the dark, switching to medium in the rain. Prior to the swap, the Lux on high was almost unnoticeable on the wet street.

I am so pleased with this I may buy a couple more for backup, in the car emergency use, etc.

Last edited: