Hexbright Open source flashlight

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hexbright Flex

Threads merged. There really is no valid reason to have two seperate threads.

I apologize if I cluttered the forum unnecessarily. I wanted a different sort of discussion than was happening in this thread but I didn't want to derail this conversation.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for those links. Something in the first one made me wonder: does it look light this light might be able to be directly controlled by a computer? Like, instead of setting up a UI for the light, make a program that can control it directly while it its plugged in to the usb?

Last edited:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, we know the Prime runs on 2xCR123. Do we know if the Flex will take 2xCR123 also, or if it can only do an 18650?

whosdadog

Newly Enlightened

Also, we know the Prime runs on 2xCR123. Do we know if the Flex will take 2xCR123 also, or if it can only do an 18650?

As I understand it from reading the info page, the two lights use the same driver circuitry and microprocessor, only the FLEX has a usb port attached and a charging circuit for the 18650. If you changed the code to expect 6 volts, rather than 4, I think it would take the 2 CR123s just fine.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Info on Shipping Costs and New ETA to Ship

Raccoon said:
Seems the forum database is a little rocky today. Second time I had to repost this.

Raccoon:
I got the email updates for this thread and saw your previous posts. I think your posts have been deleted because they seem to advertise the light, and the mods have been very strict on enforcing the no advertising policy against this particular light.

If this post gets deleted as well, you might have to remove any reference to buying the light (or paying for shipping).

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: Hexbright

I have re-opened this thread for the discussion of the flashlight. The merits (or lack thereof) of the method used to fund this project (Kickstarter) are not up for discussion here on CPF and it should be noted that CPF does not support or condone what amounts to fundraising and/or pre-pay programs such as this. Should this project go awry and/or problems arise, CPF will not play mediator or be liable for any transactions that may or may not take place between the parties involved in the project.

Any subsequent threads started on this topic will be merged with this one.

*Contents removed by Greta...

Please address questions of this type on the Kickstarter website blog. I will reiterate what I posted in my post directly above this one...

"for the discussion of the flashlight"

As indicated by Greta's above quotes, this thread is for the discussion of the flashlight. Please take any questions or comments about the commerce, ordering or shipping of the product to the kickstarter website blog.

Raccoon

Enlightened

Ok. I was under the impression that the merits of Kickstarter were not up for discussion or debate. I was not aware until now that any mere mention or breath that would acknowledge its existence was being censored.

I am sorry, Greta.

I was only trying to inform people that they might have to [do stuff] before that [time of not being able to do stuff] came to pass, since [things that once were] have been changed to [things that are something else]. In any event, that time has now passed, and we'll have to wait until [time in future] before we can start posting beam shots and reviews.

[my name]

Yapo

Enlightened

So would it be wrong to assume the stated outputs are just theoretical/calculated numbers at the emitter and not out the front lumens?

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

So would it be wrong to assume the stated outputs are just theoretical/calculated numbers at the emitter and not out the front lumens?

No, I don't think that would be wrong. By my understanding, the actual lights have not been built (except possibly some prototype models) so they can't have been tested for actual OTF lumens. If you do the math, they say that the Flex will send a max of 1.6 A through the XM-L T6, and according to the Cree specs (http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXM-L.pdf) that looks to be a little over 500 lumens from the emitter. (someone can correct me if I make a mistake here)

surfsmurf

Newly Enlightened

If the go with a Atmel microprocessor, which it sounds like, I will be very very happy :) It is a very nice design, a free C/C++ compiler is available and tons of examples are available.

1) i've always wanted usb charging capability. even better if cradle charged

2) implement zebralight-style UI i.e. direct or almost direct access to low med or hi, from off

3) but sometimes memory is a good thing, so make that an available option as well

4) add advanced overdischarge protection. zebralights just shut off when it hits 2.7V which could be dangerous if used as a bike headlight. i want the light to have the option to automatically ramp down to lower levels as it hits certain voltages. or to blink or signal when it hits those voltages

5) i want a battery gauge so i know how much juice left

6) dual electronic switches ala Spark SL6. independently configurable i.e. tailswitch can be configured as momentary

7) sleep timer

8) pocket clip!!! a decent one please

9) stiff switches, i don't want accidental activations

2 & 3) Both these are easy to implement, if the stock firmware doesn't have it it will probaby be added fast by someone.

4) If they just connect the battery to a voltage sensing port on the uC this is easy.

7) Also easy to do.

Thanks for those links. Something in the first one made me wonder: does it look light this light might be able to be directly controlled by a computer? Like, instead of setting up a UI for the light, make a program that can control it directly while it its plugged in to the usb?

Again assuming that they use a Atmel uC this is easy to to as well.

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
Hexbright FLEX update

It looks like the HexBright 500 lumen flashlight got a lot bigger in size (see picture below).

Here is an update on the design. It will now feature "buck-boost" driving for the LED.

7wM5n.jpg

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious what will happen to the pledged funds should the goal not be met and the project doesn't go forward? Will pledgers get their money back? I'm sorry folks... but I cannot condone this... not with all of the information out there regarding pre-paids gone bad. This is creative, I'll admit... but it just doesn't set right with me. Of course you are all free to do as you wish on your own but I cannot let CPF support this.

Thread closed.

It's 5:11 am and I just finished reading this whole thread. If the funding goal isn't met, nobody's cards are ever charged.

Also, as it's 5:17 by now, please take this with about a mole of salt, but I'm annoyed that the constantly-closed threads here helped me miss out on what should be considered serious industry news - I'd have loved to back this project, but I found about out it last week, and now I'm unhappy. I'm also losing my grasp of language at this point.

Empath

Flashaholic
Chrontius, the thread wasn't closed long enough to have any effect on your ability to participate. Your complaint of "constantly-closed threads" has nothing to do with this thread. If you do have a concern regarding that, take it to PM, email or the Underground.

Racoon, as did many of your comments in this thread, it got removed by a moderator for being in violation of the directives concerning this thread.

There's been too many violations from you. When your posting privileges are restored in a month, please be mindful of our rules and directives.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
I could never understand why this was described as an OPEN SOURCE Flashlight.

LED - no options, commercial device
Optics - no options, one manufacturer
Housing - no options, one manufacturer
Switch - no options, one manufacturer
Driver - no options, one manufacturer, not available as separate item.
Driver software - customisable by user, but only those comfortable programming in C.