High CRI Surefire T1A

Uriah

Enlightened
I got my modded T1A back with a new XPG in it and all i can say is WOW.If your thinking about getting your T1A upgraded DO IT.
Thanks Again DaFABRICATA
:twothumbs :twothumbs

coltraneman

Newly Enlightened
Would love to get this as well?
Care to tell me what the upgrade costs and whether it will affect battery life? (I assume the light is brighter from the comparison pics...hence faster battery depletion?)

machtig

Newly Enlightened
Hi are you still doing this upgrade? I'd love to have mine upgraded to a warm tint LED instead of this sickly blue mess.

Brian

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind remarks!:bow:
These T1A's are extremely difficult to work on and require 110% of my attention when working on them.
Now that work has slowed, I hope to be able to take on a few T1A's for modding soon.
The high CRI XP-G's are beautiful.
I'd also like to do an XM-L if anyone is feeling brave...
If interested send me an email.....address is located in my profile.
It may take a few days to reply, but I will get back to you.

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heres my own personal T1A that now sports a neutral XM-L.
The XPG has a tighter hot spot as to be expected.
The XM-L is more floody like the seoul but a bit brighter with a MUCH nicer tint.
It's been sitting in my modding box for the last year mostly disassembled. Today I finally decided to try an XM-L in it and am happy with the results.
However, I do prefer the XP-G as it allows for a bit more throw.
My camera makes the emitter look blue/green, but it's really a nice neutral tint.

I have a members light here thats getting a high CRI XP-G....I'll update with some pics after it's done.

photobucket-1482-1334030227109.jpg

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Heres my own personal T1A that now sports a neutral XM-L.
The XPG has a tighter hot spot as to be expected.
The XM-L is more floody like the seoul but a but brighter with a MUCH nicer tint.
It's been sitting in my modding box for the last year mostly disassembled. Today I finally decided to try an XM-L in it and am happy with the results.
However, I do prefer the XP-G as it allows for a bit more throw.
Very nice. When you say 'a bit brighter' I'm understanding that's in comparison to the stock P4.
Since the XM-L is floodier than the XP-G does your latest mod even appear as bright as the 'XP-G' mod version?
Edit: Please don't take this as disparaging in any way, I've been interested in an XM-L for my T1A for ages now. :)

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. When you say 'a bit brighter' I'm understanding that's in comparison to the stock P4.
Since the XM-L is floodier than the XP-G does your latest mod even appear as bright as the 'XP-G' mod version?
Edit: Please don't take this as disparaging in any way, I've been interested in an XM-L for my T1A for ages now. :)

Hi Kestrel!
Yes, it is noticably brighter than the stock seoul P4 as I have one here that I did a direct comparison with.
I don't have an XP-G version to do a direct comparison, but I'm assuming it would appear close to the same brightness, maybe a bit less bright due to the larger less defined hot spot of the XM-L.
The XP-G helps give the T1A noticably more throw.
The XM-L helps retain the floodier beam of the original emitter but with a bump in lumens.:naughty:

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heres a members T1A that I finished tonight. c
It has a high CRI XP-G. Its easily my favorite T1A that I've done.
The tint is beautiful and is focused perfectly, turning the dim, blue stock beam to one with some actual throw a noticable bump in output with a nice transition from hot spot to spill.
All I have is my phone camera so beamshots are pointless.

photobucket-19285-1334206592967.jpg

High CRI XP-G------------Neutral XM-L

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light on the left, beautiful; light on the right, beautiful!

:laughing:
Thanks!:thumbsup:
These lights are EASILY my LEAST favorite to work on, but always worth the effort to see how much difference is made.:)
If SF is reading this: consider an emitter update in these lights....the nasty blue P4's used are a bad choice.
It's amazing whats possible with these lights just by replacing the LED.

Matt7337

Enlightened
DaFab, your last post is the only place I have been able to find the LED type that's used in the T1A Titan on the whole Internet. Every other review and info page has it listed as a "virtually indestructable LED emitter" which is useless information when you want to know the emitter model itself! So, for the sake of the Google bots and future reference, can you confirm that the T1A Titan has a Seoul SSC P4?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
DaFab, your last post is the only place I have been able to find the LED type that's used in the T1A Titan on the whole Internet. Every other review and info page has it listed as a "virtually indestructable LED emitter" which is useless information when you want to know the emitter model itself! So, for the sake of the Google bots and future reference, can you confirm that the T1A Titan has a Seoul SSC P4?
I'm pretty sure it would be easy to find many references to the Titan and T1A both using the P4, along with a good number of other popular lights here on CPF.

I had a couple T1A's and Titans, but down to just one Titan now with it's stock P4.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Just a FYI, the 'master' CPF SF T1A thread is here, 8 pages of great info:
Surefire Titan T1A Pics & Info

Matt7337

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure it would be easy to find many references to the Titan and T1A both using the P4, along with a good number of other popular lights here on CPF.

I had a couple T1A's and Titans, but down to just one Titan now with it's stock P4.

As I said in my post, this was the first and so far only mention of the T1A emitter type that I could find after a good 15 minutes of searching in Google. I wouldn't have said so if it wasn't true. I know CPF is an absolute gold mine of information but this one escaped me. Anyway, it's an SSC P4. That's settled :thumbsup:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
As I said in my post, this was the first and so far only mention of the T1A emitter type that I could find after a good 15 minutes of searching in Google. I wouldn't have said so if it wasn't true. I know CPF is an absolute gold mine of information but this one escaped me. [...]
OK, using the Google (CPF Only) search terms 'which emitter T1A', the very first post in the very first thread returned included the following:

For the SF T1A, I want to keep the stock reflector but replace the Seoul P4 emitter and get more throw / punchy flood. [...]

That took me less than 60 seconds. So please don't say that finding that info is difficult when it's not. :thinking:

Matt7337

Enlightened
Again, I'm sorry, I missed it and DID search for a good number of phrases. Like I said, it's settled now. People do miss things when searching, you know. 'Yes, it's a P4' would have been a whole lot easier to say than everything else that followed my query :rolleyes:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Again, I'm sorry, I missed it and DID search for a good number of phrases. Like I said, it's settled now. People do miss things when searching, you know. 'Yes, it's a P4' would have been a whole lot easier to say than everything else that followed my query :rolleyes:
"Yes, it's a P4" is probably all the answer you'd have received if the question had simply been "What emitter does the T1A have?" without the bit about "useless information" being all there was available.

Are you planning on modding one? If so, the hCRI emitter mod is great in these and DaFabricata would be the guy to send it to, if you don't have the confidence to swap it out yourself. Never tried opening one, but it isn't nearly as cut a dried as most normal lights.