High School Freedom of Speech...

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the shirts disrupting class? Are they aimed at anybody? They aren't even graphic; it's just text. I don't think so... so why not allow them?

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Warleader said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif This trend toward more and more wacko "liberalism" (spelled COMMUNISM) in school is straight out of the Communist Manefesto and the goals of the Communist Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Communism?

Look McCarthy get a grip. Nothing about this is in any way associated with communism or Marxism. When anyone makes comments such as yours NOTHING after that is read...at all.

You've lost all credibility.

-F

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh? Its not uncommon to hear of a story on the news in the Richmond area about students wearing confederate flag t shirts to school and being told that is inappropiate and that they must cover it up or take it off. Never hear of a story like that from a college or university or community college.

Same applies for my job as far as a dress code or what not to wear, I cant wear any t shirt unless it has their logo or sponsors logo on it on Friday, rest of the week is business causual. Also no shorts, but skorts are allowed and other things liek capri pants as long as its no higher than 3 inches above the knee. I have thought about asking if men can wear skorts to work or what can men wear since women can wear skorts.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobb, you should have every right to wear a kilt to work in my opinion. As long as you have the legs for it.

As for the high school issue, I support school uniforms. I think that would eliminate this problem and a lot of otheres that are draining people's focus and energy away from education.

I don't think "freedom of speech" covers every situation. For example, I don't have a right to tell racist or sexist jokes in my workplace or otherwise harass my co-workers even though I could argue that it is a form of free speech. The reason is that my co-workers HAVE to come into the workplace with me every day in order to continue to keep thier jobs and earn their livng. They shouldn't be subjected to that kind of treatment. If I am telling the same jokes on a street corner, then people can simply choose to walk away, so my actions there are less of an infringement on other people's rights.

School is or at least should be the same way. Just because you have a constitutional right to say it or display it in public doesn't mean you should do it in school.

I wouldn't say that the word "vagina" is necessarily offensive or disruptive in itsself, depending on the context, but which side of the line that word falls on really isn't the issue here. The issue is more about whether the school has a right to set and enforce policy about this kind of thing. And clearly they do and they should. Any policy guidelines will invariably mis-categorize some things at the margin, but that is inescapeable. If you allow "vagina" in this case, you have to allow "*****" etc. and if you allow them in the context of women's issues, then you have to allow them in other contexts as well and you can see that it becomes a slippery slope very quickly. It is more practical to just draw the line in a way that is easy to understand, follow and enforce.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I should go back to high school and read playboy and shout freedom of speech or something to that effect? Just seems to be much to do about nothing. What ever happen to the bart simpson dont have a cow man or I am an underachiever and proud of it pins?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Warleader said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif This trend toward more and more wacko "liberalism" (spelled COMMUNISM) in school is straight out of the Communist Manefesto and the goals of the Communist Party...

...If parents want to breed and impose their spawn upon the world, then they should pay for them ...

Me . . . I think I've paid my "Fair Share" . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your bitterness seems genuine but your Communo-schtick is so off the mark I thought you were joking. I hear identical verbiage coming from Rush/Sean et al. Are they your own words and thoughts?

As long as politics has reared its head here's an interesting clip that you'll never see in the mainstream media, either Right or Left.

FORT BRAGG - ANOTHER VIEW

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Maybe I should go back to high school and read playboy and shout freedom of speech or something to that effect? Just seems to be much to do about nothing. What ever happen to the bart simpson dont have a cow man or I am an underachiever and proud of it pins?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck, when I went to high school back in the day we had white tee shirts, period. The only thing ever seen on them were food stains or dirt.

Brightnorm

emrbrtn

Enlightened
well, its their bodies, they can wear whatever they want on them. come on people its a T-SHIRT, no big deal.

emrbrtn

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Same applies for my job as far as a dress code or what not to wear, I cant wear any t shirt unless it has their logo or sponsors logo on it on Friday, rest of the week is business causual. Also no shorts, but skorts are allowed and other things liek capri pants as long as its no higher than 3 inches above the knee. I have thought about asking if men can wear skorts to work or what can men wear since women can wear skorts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is your choice to work there, if you don't like the dress code you can always pack up and leave.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
What ever happen to the big johnson and garbage pale t shirts? I think the 17 st surf shop use to have ones with nearly nude women on them. THats what they worried about when I was in school.

Latest posts