Homemade 24" scratch built & designed reflector

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm taking a look at how I can improve this great beginner searchlight. It was the first time I ever worked with fiberglass on this kind of scale. The Styrofoam is sandwiched between the fiberglass and an outer drywall compound. I had to use drywall compound because the type of foam I used is rapidly dissolved by the resin.

I'm considering the removal of the heavy cement and bulky foam layers. The remaining fiberglass shell should be quite strong. I didn't understand all the qualities of fiberglass until I build the 50 inch Monster searchlight. The lighter weight 24 inch LightSward would be much lighter in weight, and much easier to transport. I'd like to at least put the 1,200 watt HMI for a test. I think it wold do quite well and be compact.:sssh:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Lightsward , iam interested in how you deal with UV ?

Sorry. I didn't see your question until now...

To deal with UV there are two main HMI bulbs: the single ended and double ended bulbs. (With HID the bulbs are usually UV protected already.) I often add the Pyrex mantle globe anyway to add further protection from bulb failure, especially by keeping rain, moisture or other foreign objects ways.
---With the single ended bulb, not really much of a problem since the outer bulb jacket blocks most of the UV, and the normal use of the light doesn't really necessitate any further treatment.
---The double ended bulbs are an entirely different story. I use Coleman or other gas lantern Pyrex mantle globes. These do well with the heat and block most of the UV. Since the capsule I place this set up in is ventilated, I move a lot of air to dilute the 'ozone' and remove it from the area. You can smell a kind of swimming pool chlorine odor, so it's best to use it outdoors or in a well ventilated room. If fixed, an exhaust system connected to the outside can work.:grin2:

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am now spinning reflectors out of steel and aluminum and hopefully very soon will make 24 inch version next few days.

I'm beginning the mandrel section of the form spinner for spinning metal reflectors. The 24 inch, or there about, will be one of my first after successfully making 'spun', reflectors on a smaller scale.

10502451_10202710033407117_2768160276067779250_n.jpg

After these are clamped and glued securely, I'll spin this Mandrel,:thumbsup: on a lather to the exact shape of the parabolic reflector.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mandrel is made of particle plywood. I will need to make the final mandrel out of hard word or steel. After a couple more test and finishes I'll install the flat metal disc to be "spun" into a nice reflector.

10426201_10202782655982636_6462883102743616433_n.jpg

Just about finished with the mandrel profile for the metal spinning made reflector.

Results on this first real attempt for making a 24 inch reflector from sheet metal came out about what I predicted. Learned much...first of all use hard, strong wood or steel for mandrel...the soft particle board type ply I used disintegrated during shaping and caused a pitting to occur. Still I was impressed with the overall concept proving this test showed me. Now I just have to raise capital for real tooling...lol.

10672209_10202854222811762_1657984622301708530_n.jpg

Looks nice and smooth, while spinning 800 RPM. The final finished product will be quite impressive.
Piece of flat 26 inch diameter sheet metal blank ready for being spun into a 24 inch reflector.

Not too pretty when viewed after slight disintegration form my shaping tools I made from Re-Bar pieces. I polished the ends into a "Cobra Head" shape, but I had to apply so much pressure, I accidentally cut and mangled the reflector at the end of the spinning. Still I learned so much from this. Now I just need another shop location,...my neighbors ran out of patience with me and now even just drilling a single small hole into some wood, just drives them crazy. Sigh.

Click here to view the original image of 960x720px.
10377600_10202854223491779_1915873337426780711_n.jpg

Mandrel was made of not so strong particle board and liquid wood fixer upper, so it slightly disintegrated during the spinning, which caused all these little deformations in the metal. Surprisingly...Works well reflecting the light into a fairly tight beam..:shrug:

After a little practice I can make nice accurate good reflectors...Yah..!:thumbsup:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize, but one of my photo hosts has unreliable and unstable links, (Facebook based), and this caused a large amount of my photos to vanish over he last few days. Apologize, but with all the photos I posted I'm not able to update all them do to a variety reasons, mostly time.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what I was originally after when i built the LightSward. I'll be making a newer one soon, as I figure how to not upset my neighbors with my skill.

Here is the best light I have right now for a variety of reasons...the biggest is it's actually easy to transport ans store this 50 Inch MONSTER searchlight....a good substitute for the GE and Sperry 60" WWII carbon arc lights.

I'll work on making a small sport version of this light. Depends on many factors what type FL and or type reflector, shallow,telescope, or more parabolic deep dish style...

My tribute and a temporary substitute for the 60 inch WWII carbon arc searchlight, for anyone with limited space for storage, (light as seen can hang in closet).
This is an excellent design after many experiments. Someday if I have the room, I'd like to get a GE or Sperry, but for now this will work.:

Excited Law enforcement officers informed me they could see it many miles out on their patrol and just had to come by and see it, since they knew no businesses are out this far.

Big learning experience. I built this 50 inch Monster reflector six years ago and sort of didn't do much because it needed a very bright bulb to do it justice. Dimmer bulbs just barely made abeam. This thing took the light a and shot it into the night sky. For ease of transport, storage with ease of extraction, I have decided to make this my big light for now. The 72 inch is so big, I had to partially disassemble it just to store the pieces. For now the 50 inch MONSTER will be the big dominant light until I get a shop where I won't drive my neighbors crazy. Have to decommission things a little until I can get into a production facility.
cool.gif

This thing is "AWESOME" Had kind of shelved this light in favor of more efficient reflector designs. This set up allows for less light to be collected from bulb, but with a much longer focal length, the light travels further in a more parallel beam configuration. Beam had the effect of looking somewhat like a laser and was hard to tell from which direction it was coming from when beam aimed near horizon.

50 inch Searchlight MONSTER was shelved for a few years while I was waiting to secure a 4,000 watt HMI 385,000 lumen light source. It is a good substitute for the 60 inch WWII searchlights that need much loving care to keep going. This 50 inch MONSTER will help keep the big light legacy going well into the 21st century and beyond. The beautiful beam is a nice painting to a glorious night sky. Photo from a yard or two away.

21747198998_309b86ac29_b.jpg

Photo taken behind MONSTER showing the beam traveling several miles.

Photo taken from a block away

21748150449_de5a1dd96f_b.jpg

Photos taken a few blocks away.

21748139529_9654cab417_b.jpg

Photo from a block away. Beam paints a nice color in the night sky. Turquoise blue color looks nice.

21748157619_f9d65cf9f5_b.jpg

Photos taken around and from a few hundred feet distance.
21313883243_3c4fa55c84_b.jpg

Photo from a block away. Walking way from searchlight, the beam appears to follow. Aimed near the horizon, people couldn't tell which direction it was coming from...nice narrow beam compared to my other searchlights.

21944758501_429064630b_k.jpg

The beautiful beam is a nice painting to a glorious night sky. Photo from directly beneath the beam, next to searchlight.

21748129029_3eec6d78d3_b.jpg

Photo from near mail boxes, block away...300 feet...

21748144699_95d0359ec3_b.jpg

Some good views from a block away...several hundred feet. Couldn't go any where with the crowds coming to see. Police almost said they'd stay and watch while I drove around to take photos.

21908665546_73cd8f5f8a_b.jpg

Some of these composites were hard to align with the camera tripod. Software to straighten the photos was unavailable.

21934825745_4f3443d09a_h.jpg

Photo from a block away.

21908677586_78fb3d093e_h.jpg

Photo from a block away.

21922954332_93b486c2d5_b.jpg

Photo from a block away.
Photos showing beam traveling overhead. Laser like look, hard to tell direction beam came from when aimed near horizon.

Photo from a block away. Beam paints a nice color in the night sky. Turquoise blue color looks nice.
Photo from behind searchlight.
I'll get back to posting on this shortly.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 24 inch LightSward and all my other searchlights use three main reflector design types.

Made some adjustments to focus and center the split reflected image of the 50 inch Monster arc chamber back through the center of the arc chamber between the electrodes. Over all made about three millimeters adjustment moving the over all arc center two millimeters away from main reflector. The image and resultant beam is awesome..!

Here is a quick look at three basic searchlight reflector designs I've used. Three main reflector designs using the deep, most efficient but worse focal length design, common with flashlights and car headlights, a second design is medium high efficiency reflector with split reflector and good compromise on focal length and the third oldest design using a shallow plate design common with telescopes. This flatter reflector has been used the longest by the military for it's very long "through", but is the least efficient gathering light from source but with the best focal length, is resulting in a long narrow beam for long distance..

22269849629_9cca38e103_b.jpg

There are variations and other combinations that utilize lenses either alone or in combination with the reflectors in some of today's searchlights.

Side and front views of upper deck I will position the searchlight a surround with scrim to block excess light.

22456656675_c4b54f4b95_b.jpg

Happy Halloween..!

b
p.pl
b
p.pl

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 24 inch is getting a makeover, but is the light that started it all. here is what it spawned.:
Yes the light was phenomenal. Never had such a line of vehicles like this before.
Just wanted everyone to know this MONSTER 50 inch searchlight is a winner. So many cars came by and used up much of our trick or treat candy..! Met many people from far away towns and small cities. People from towns twenty miles distance said it was bright where they were located.

One day would like to power all the lights at once, but will take a while to have the resources to power all the lights at once. Would like to have them all on at once, some day. Here is how the 50 inch Monster looked Halloween Night.
Hard to say, I'd like to one day have the means to compare many of my searchlights together. For now I can do a 1,200 watt HMI, NightHawk or 36 inch Gorilla, comparison to the 4,000 HMI 50 inch Monster, when the neighbors won't be bothered. Have to do it when the nights come real early next month.

Just wanted everyone to know this MONSTER 50 inch searchlight is a winner. So many cars came by and used up much of our trick or treat candy..! Met many people from far away towns and small cities. People from towns twenty miles distance said it was bright where they were located.

Here are some quick photos, (better ones to be transferred soon), of the awesome Halloween night 50 inch MONSTER searchlight Trick or Treaters flood and hundreds of vehicles on our private street to see what the "Big Light", was all about.. Awesome. Met many great people.

Click here to view the original image of 1578x885px.
22772307946_be72fde357_k.jpg

Another shot taken from a camera hard to transfer photos from. Looks great, will get it in better quality soon.

First photo of the night my cell phone camera could actually take.
At sunset I turned the searchlight on and found it was already dark enough to be seen.:naughty: :cool::thinking: :welcome:

Click here to view the original image of 1024x751px.
22738366735_7c6cd87dd5_b.jpg

Searchlight is bright enough to be seen at sunset.:cool:

Halloween begins with this brilliant beam that could be seen twenty miles in distant small towns.

My 385,000 lumen Four thousand watt, HMI high efficiency, medium arc, 50 inch diameter MONSTER searchlight drew in Hundreds and hundreds of vehicles, multiple dozens of "Trick or Treaters", more than all other years here combined. One photo is from cell phone and one with a rainbow vein, like a rainbow caught in the light beam.
(You can see the high tech light bulb cooling down next to the air cooled 'split half reflector', which redirects otherwise wasted back light, back through the arc chamber, and onto the main reflector.)

22379934008_6fb2788a93_b.jpg

Beam looked thinner to the eye, but cloud nicely lit.

Cool photo showing beam splitting raindrops up into colors like a rainbow.

Click here to view the original image of 1578x1182px.
22639262836_010b3e12dc_h.jpg

While the rain was falling heavily, rainbow patterns were visible at various parts of the light beam. Looked real neat.

4,000 watt, 385,000 lumen HMI High Tech bulb cooling down.

Click here to view the original image of 1024x774px.
22477334790_f26cb0f84b_b.jpg

The split reflector cooling system has reduced the tarnishing effects of the intense heat assaulting the back split reflector.

Beam was bright enough for the my cell phone to capture the beam in rain

Click here to view the original image of 1024x756px.
22676491331_d2ab64aa6c_b.jpg

Very impressive. The beam could be seen for many, many miles. People from many of the small and large towns and small cities scattered in the area, came for some candy and to see a searchlight, many had never seen one in person before. The look on many people's faces was like they had just seen God, or were otherwise spiritually lifted.

Car headlights compete with the much brighter searchlight beam 1:200 ratio in brightness.

22177183943_a968b15755_b.jpg

Beam isn't totally culminated, but it looks like a laser when underneath it in another neighborhood...I'm told.

Way worth the effort. Now we get many Trick or Treaters when in the entire history of our small part of town, we had almost no people come by on Halloween...ever. I'm stoked....don't have to eat so much left over candy now....HA.:cool:

Will have to do this again. Originally I was going to make this the last appearance of the light, but due to high public approval, I may do it again, next year..!
b
p.pl

When resources allow, the World's Biggest Searchlight will be "resurrected". For now the 60 inch WWII wann-a-BE Monster 50 inch searchlight will be my Big Light for now. A true WWII searchlight will blow mine away, but it'll be interesting to see how the two would compare. Maybe at Flash-a-holic event to be scheduled soon...I hope..!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightSward...love your dedication and your Lights!. 2 quick questions......

1)what are your thoughts on 24" WOK for parabolic reflector ? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-Gro...476620?hash=item235ac15b4c:g:W1YAAOSwYHxWG7qj)

2)Do you have plans for your DIY tube/conduit bender/

Thanks...

-1- I've used pots, pans, and salad bowls etc., as reflectors with mixed results. Usually they're not quite parabolic in shape, though parts will work and make a nice beam, but usually there are at least two separate focal points, resulting in mixed results. If you can get a good profile view of the potential reflector by taking a side view from a little distance, like with a telephoto and comparing it to parabolic profiles you just might find a good one. Some can get quite close to the correct shape. Apply the chrome film as I describe and build the lamp holder hardware and or yoke and arbor or just position it on some pillows, etc..

-2- No plans specifically ,but figure your desired radius, diameter of curve and the diameter or size and thickness of pipe stock. These two are the driving measurements that determine the "conduit bender. Only make a small bend at a time and advance the pipe into the "clamp" holder each time to prevent "kinking". The pipe kinks more and more easily, the further the bending spot is from the "clamp". Take a good close look at the pipe benders sold in stores and that can guide your design. Used 2x4's bolted securely to the bending profile stack of wood to act as a handle. Everything was glued with white wood glue as I assembled the layers, except the 2x4's so they can be moved or modified for different purposes. Can't find any photos other than the ones already posted in my forums. May be some good hints on-line.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original big light; The 24inch LightSward, I made out of Fiberglass as my first successful light, has now been upgraded to Aluminum. Awesome..!

New big changes in how I make my reflectors, now in metal; and how much more significantly improved these Aluminum and steel reflectors are over my successful Fiberglass class of reflectors I've been working on for over half a dozen years on..!

These newly made Aluminum reflectors I've made, along with several others; and more on the way, are truly amazing..! The ease and precision that can be accomplished: quickly, silently, easily, artfully, and without odors or other issues with an incredible result. Still needs to be "dialed in", but the results are already better than the Fiberglass. No Orange Peal effect, that was actually a subtle defects in the Fiberglass surface, invisible until the reflective surface was applied. The metal doesn't have such an issue. Live and learn. This new personal "discovery of skills", will go across the board on all my searchlights. So far several: 7, 24, 26 and 30 inch reflectors are finished or about to be and several 36 inch Aluminum discs are on standby to be converted shortly. Several simultaneous tests on the different reflector designs will occur to determine the best route(s), to be taken at this time. EXCITING!:D:D:D

Polishing is not feasible at this time, as it involves too much noise and not as good a reflective surface as this window glazing I used. I'll use the chrome tape with it's better reflectivity in future reflectors. NOW I HAVE A LIGHT METER AND CAN TAKE ACTUAL READINGS.

My upside reflections caused by the 'magnifying glass' effect of the two different style reflectors.

24878716421_0bd2cf6c23_b.jpg

Aluminum reflectors made from flat bottom water tank collection pan.

My upside reflections caused by the 'magnifying glass' effect of the two different style reflectors. One is a deep 200 degree capture design with more light reflectivity compared to the 130 degree capture with it's superior long distance light throw..

Click here to view the original image of 1024x773px.
24972057155_e2b8a3bd2d_b.jpg

These reflectors are so much more easier to make out of Aluminum discs than the Fiberglass process I've been using. I did a "quick" production routine to make these and others in progress at a larger diameter, I'm just amazed. The beams are much more culminated with a smaller diameter reflector needed for better, narrow beam effect. Will experiment with the different reflector designs.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the 24 inch LightSward disassembled and being renovated for upgrades, I thought I'd let everyone in on some advances and projects I've been working on.:

First, I've been experimenting with metal reflectors and have obtained excellent results. Experimenting with various sized metal reflectors from 6" on up to hopefully 50", mostly aluminum, as you all probably have already seen on this thread and or others... Excellent results, in fact stunning..! Maybe not yet perfect, but at least now I have a relativity fast, inexpensive, reliable, customization-able and fairly accurate production source of reflectors in a variety of sizes and design configurations, all virtually at my finger tips.

Most of my searchlight reflectors will be smaller, more compact, lighter weight, better light-beam characteristics and all in an affordable yet strong housing for a light fixture that is sure to last for many years. These new reflectors will offer the same performance characteristics as their older, wonderful fiberglass cousins they'll be replacing, yet to get even more, I'm keeping many of these larger sizes now in Aluminum, to improve them all.

In my college years, during the days when I examined many of the 60 inch searchlights in Las Vegas, I noticed some of the mirror reflectors weren't perfect, and in fact some were quite flawed, maybe even shoddy replacement mirrors, or homemade like mine; yet at night, some of these flawed mirror lights would have the most impressive, brightest, appearing to be well focused beam, even from across town. Generally I'm going for improved performance, quality and economical and environmentally friendly courses to achieve my goal of making some of the funnest and maybe a few impressive lights to have a good night interacting with.

Working on several things at once, I figured I'd try and save a few thousand off my next HMI ballast, so I built one. It's progressed past this stage already and has a protective metal cooling case and fan to be added next. Already has wheels and handle I built in unit frame, for easy transport of the hundred plus pound beast. 80 pounds less than the real 4,000 watt ballast I purchased a couple years ago.
:devil:

Click here to view the original image of 1366x649px.
24757664779_94ec5e6e5a_h.jpg

I plugged it in and flipped the built in circuit breaker and it came on with just a slight auto-transformer buzz. All the voltage readings checked out and now it just has to be tested on the bulb itself....
Friday..? Should go well....I hope...:confused: Fingers crossed.:scowl::party::caution::eek::thumbsup:

As you can probably tell, I combined four standard metal halide probe start ballasts with my ingenious hand activated manually controlled ignition system, similar to ones used on the early florescent lights. All tests show readings well with-in range...with all the modifications. Actual bulb test later today..!

Tried several different wiring configurations when the first test sequence just resulted in a sputtered and blackened bulb. Later realized, while trying several alternate wiring configurations; had by-passed one of the capacitors when removing a jumper cable, wrongly installed earlier on one of the simple capacitor multi-tab terminals, (many possible connections are close together), so I returned the wiring of the ballasts to the configuration as originally designed, and is now working very well. :thumbsup:

Running the blackened bulb through the "Real Ballast", for sort of a Halide cycle, clearing the bulb in less than fifteen minutes, (whew!),. After wires fixed, the bulb was again fired up on homemade ballast, ready, set, "ignition" went well, but bulb voltages are a little lower than expected, since I'm running 240 into the 277 volt tabs, the lower operating and start-up input voltage of this particular voltage tab of 23% variation, (as my original plan to bring the ballast's normal output voltage down from 265 volts to the 178-237 volt range the bulb is designed to run at, just didn't expect this low of voltage of just under 180 volts, thus the bluer color, (looks the same in sky since the blue color of the air is lit up as normal),., so I will try either the 120 on these this homemade ballast, and/ or just see what happens when I wire up the new expected arrivals with the 240 volt terminals and see if the voltage is about 205-210, which I'd prefer for a "whiter color" and more halide cycling, but if not, the current situation would be adequate. . No problem bringing the voltages up, have to tweak some issues to get input voltages as specified, as this batch of ballasts was very inexpensive because of the commercial voltage ranges ballasts are designed for. Just had to order some inexpensive accessories to remedy the costly low voltage input gauge increases normally associated with standards. :broke: ...For my personal searchlights I can use adequate cabling that I wouldn't use in commercial products meant for re-sale.

Am paying a nearly 60% increase in ballast price on the next batch to have more of the common voltages as input tabs, that are more in line with smaller generators commonly found at hardware stores. All the ballasts I work with have 120 volts, but I avoid this like the plague, because the wiring gauge jumps to a dramatically more expensive size that doesn't have to be used with the higher voltages..! The less expensive ballasts use higher voltages more commonly associated with large warehouses, football fields and traffic street lights. My original plan was to use these voltages, but may not be as economical as just purchasing the slightly more expensive ones. However, if I was to make these for the Hollywood set lights that use mostly giant 110 volt cabling, I'd just use the warehouse type ballasts at 120 volts, since these ballasts can handle up to and over 23%, plus or minus, voltage variation. Once electricity is dropped from the transmission and distribution high voltages of the many thousands of volts down to the hundreds of volts, the voltage leaving the transformer drops rapidly with every foot of wire. After several hundred feet, the voltage has dropped substantially, and to lower the costs associated with lighting large areas where voltages would be all over the scale, ballasts with large voltage input ranges were developed, and the fact that these are auto-transformers as well with the power factor capacitor, makes these ideal old school devices..! After having experimented with many different configurations, I'm absolutely amazed at how well these worked, even with all my wiring variations and capacitor changes and placement experiments...Laugh:welcome:

Great learning experience. Now I can make some inexpensive ballasts for the "Big Bright Beasts". The next 24 inch LightSward, now nearing completion, with several variations almost done too, the sky will be painted with the LightSward like nothing else..!:eek::):wave:

Cheers..!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Set up and tooled my shop to make a nice range of reflectors, using a modified English Wheel, in a range of sizes; anywhere from 24 inch, 36 inch Gorilla Reflector up to a 50 inch Monster or any size in this whole range made now from aluminum with polished aluminum, nice but pricey and much less if used with the very good newest polish metalized Mylar product I'm using now, all with precision geometric control, integrating CAD control in the forming of the reflector. Been real busy doing things I needed to do with little time to posts. Am making huge progress on this and will get back to posting more as I get some time. This is going to be awesome. Hopefully I'll have something worth showing when the time comes. This weekend I could be ready for another test. Need money for some patents.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original 24 inch LightSward Reflector may very well have a 1,200 watt HMI bulb installed in the near future. Getting things ready.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
THE LIGHTSWARD IS BACK..!!! Resurrected the LightSward from the storage heap and am making significant improvements. Mainly it's getting the dreamed about 1,200 watt small arc HID discharge bulb with 100,000 lumen output..! Stopped using the LightSward because of it's hard focusing requirements and didn't know if it would stand up to the other reflectors I was developing. Will be using a delta focusing plate for precision focusing adjustments. The most this light ever had was a 400 watt large arc HID with only 30,000 lumen output, though it still made a pretty decent beam. Multiple reasons why I think this will become a more of a center piece and used more often searchlight. First much of the light is captured and with an average reflector distance of eight inches from arc and arc length of 10 mm an average of 19 : 1 ratio and much of the reflector better, should get a thin beam like the 100 watt HID of same arc size at only 6,000 lumen; used as the original bulb that got me into CPF. With this new arrangement LightSward will be multiple times brighter..!

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
This is such an awesome project! Great work... the gears are starting to roll on my version, though I think I'll start with a 12" diameter one first. Thanks for posting!

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried using the chrome effect vinyl wrap that's used mainly on exotic cars? It should shape around the contours of your parabola and comes in large widths.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinyl wrap, not sure I know about that..? Been using various forms of metalized Mylar for the reflectors. Inexpensive and pretty easy to work with, yet don't care for the novice look I get, yet it's fairly effective, even used shiny space blankets with decent results, one piece. still need to refine with refined processes.

Last edited: