Honolulu Area Blackout

conor

Newly Enlightened
I have also been thinking about a small generator....problem is the "small" quiet hondas are only 3000W for 1300.00

I've been told thats not enough for a fridge when the compressor kicks in?

53 degrees is COLD for those of us here who are used to 80 degree weather :nana:

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I have also been thinking about a small generator....problem is the "small" quiet hondas are only 3000W for 1300.00

I've been told thats not enough for a fridge when the compressor kicks in?

53 degrees is COLD for those of us here who are used to 80 degree weather :nana:

Depends, my fridge is a 12 cubic foot and it looks as though it only draws a maximum of 900 watts on start up. Each fridge and compressor is different, look on the back of yours to find out the "Lock Rotor" amperage.

That's the amount of power it needs for startup (high-end estimate). A good way to fully determine this is by purchasing a device known as a "Kill A Watt"... here. Plug this device into your electronics and measure how much they draw, then go from there for a generator size.

I'm looking at amazon.com for some cheap Chinese generators for 150 dollars shipped (1200 continuous watts). Should be enough for me.

Those Honda generators are nice because they filter the electricity coming off of them, though with a little creative ingenuity, you can do the same thing with the 150 dollar generator for an additional 60 bucks.

Happy hunting.

conor

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm i better go check my fridge then.

I actually have a Kill a watt!

The honda's are nice also because they are very quiet compared to the other generators on the market. 40db vs 65+ db

thanks for the tip, ill go check the fridge specs.:twothumbs

me1234hi

Newly Enlightened
Hi from Waipahu

I still can't believe how many people are from Hawaii on this forum.

A couple of my friends have the Honda generators the silent ones and I must say it is quiet. I'm gonna get the EU 2000 sometime this month.

On another note anyone from Oahu who knows how to mod lights? :naughty:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Auto-On Emergency Light: Also need one of those lights that automatically kicked in when power is out. When the lights went out last night, I was able to feel my way back to the kitchen counter to grab my head-standing Mag 3D; however, an auto-on emergency light would definitely help calming down my kids.

GASP!! You mean it was dark and you did not have a single light on you???

cl0123

Enlightened
From Honolulu Advertiser's Nov 12, 2009 update: Bad Weather Circling Islands

badweather.png

I think I caught a glimpse of The Day After Tomorrow playing on one of the TV stations yesterday afternoon. Hope nothing serious happens here but if it does, my place is quite candlepower-ready, except I'm a bit low on AA Duracells and bottled waters. Well, let's see if that auto-on emergency light actually works or not.

:whistle:

Candlepower of choice lately is the Surefire U2 with the 18650 Leef tube. My better-half, on the other hand, loves to wield that FM1794 heat-gun light whenever she needs a flashlight.

With Aloha,

Clarence

duboost

Enlightened
i've been anxiously awaiting this for the past few days as the weather people have been talking about it, but I'm still waiting lol. I'm definitely set if the power does go out though :naughty:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
We just had a short 10 minute down pour in Makakilo.

Just in case, its time to throw the Enloops in the charger.

cl0123

Enlightened
We just had a short 10 minute down pour in Makakilo.

Just in case, its time to throw the Enloops in the charger.

Bill,

Great minds think the same! I have about half a dozen or so eneloops AAA's for the E01's and just placed them onto the MAHA charger before I logged on. The other dozen or so AA's are already charged up. I have several of those $10 Osram 4xAA lanterns. Another practical idea for those long powerless nights.

Well, just in case... :whistle:

With Aloha from the Ala Wai/Moiliili side,

Clarence

Inspgad

Newly Enlightened
Hi cl0123,

I grew in Moi'ili'ili on Coolidge St. near the old stadium.

Nice to know someone on this forum from the old neighborhood.

I'm replying from the Big Island with my ROP 2C, Quark Tactical AA,
and my Fenix L2D.

cl0123

Enlightened
Big Island and Oahu are downgraded to Flash Flood Advisory. Kauai is still bearing the brunt under Flash Flood Warning. Hopefully, not too much damage.

Fenix L2D? Good choice. I have one in my office for those just-in-case situations. Great handy all-purpose flashlight.

All in all, it feels good to go through the motion of checking and verifying that all emergency supplies are in place.

With Aloha,

Clarence