How 'bout those water batteries?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, do not get on fixer´s case for keeping the party going here on good ole CPF. If it wasn´t for members like raggie, fixer and others, we would have run out of ancillary conversational fare long ago. Besides, these threads show how folks display their true nature, the skill with which they were raised, and whether any of their upbringing took. Thinking some of us began life by crawling out from under a rock. (Uruk-hai {Lord of the Rings} hatched in the mucous mud)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup,this place would be pretty boring without Mr. Fixer, I don't know of anyone who contributes more to this forum than Bykfixer!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ agreed, Just take a look at Byks post count!
That by itself, he should be given CPF honors, not debase his posts like a jealous classmate
It's more than his post count. Its the quality of his posts - Byfixer goes out of way to share his knowledge/experoence with detailed replys and he even takes photos to help others out with the questions they are asking.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Voltaic-Pile-1.jpg

This lantern reminded me of the Volta element made of copper and zinc plates and cloth soaked in acid. Water is needed for conductivity, possibly for activating dried acid?

If so, it's a very old idea, but with modern energy efficient diodes, it's quite viable until the pole's components go bad. You can, for example, use not just water, but urine :)

Seems like it's been here before

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks fellas. Just payin' it forward is all.

And yes desert dot snake, that's what I was getting at. Modern know how re-stoking an old idea.
The earliest form of flashlight used a wet cell tech to power a flashing novelty tie. Yeah I "googled" once or twice before starting this thread.

So far consensous seems to point toward beta max. lol.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Good, bad, somewhere in between?

Sounds like a nice idea. Let's see where it goes. The Beta Max or VHS route?

😂 states that it is NOT waterproof.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
a review by "Review or How it works?" on yt -

there is a tear down at around the 3 min. mark.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, do not get on fixer´s case for keeping the party going here on good ole CPF. If it wasn´t for members like raggie, fixer and others, we would have run out of ancillary conversational fare long ago. Besides, these threads show how folks display their true nature, the skill with which they were raised, and whether any of their upbringing took. Thinking some of us began life by crawling out from under a rock. (Uruk-hai {Lord of the Rings} hatched in the mucous mud)
CPFers need to excuse @JimIslander..
I heard Jimmy went backpacking out into the frozen tundra. He got cold, lost, and so hungry ate a rabid skunk 🦨

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Islander. His posts are often informative. He gave me an opportunity to say those things. Don't we all sometimes get on CPF with a little impatience? A touch of the cranky? Sometimes fixer gets coy I think. Sometimes he reminds of that old Saturday Night Live skit with Mike Myers "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman". He likes to keep the conversation going, a gift of the gab, don't you think? No doubt he uses that skill at his work to a level of excellence far beyond mortal man.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I remember Radio Shack selling an emergency flashlight with special long shelf life cells one had to physically activate. I recall they were roughly D cell sized and one activated by twisting the top ~⅓ of the housing, which was plastic. I've not been able to locate any information on the specifics of the cell (chemistry, what the twisting action accomplished), suggesting it was not very successful. I'd be surprised if the shelf life was anything impressive by modern standards.

I recall SciPlus listed the cells a few years back. I've slept since then but I do recall the description implying that due to age they were more curiosities than useful consumables.

Search enough and eventually you'll find something - maybe even on CPF. I even found a seller who will part with them for a mere $14.31 per cell.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
See, fixer knows how much I respect and appreciate his experience and generosity. I would have paid him $20 to have been present during his phone call with the combat engineer. That was a priceless experience listening to such a true hero who helped fight against world wide tyranny and an individual with a core role in making the USA highway transportation system.