How do you Prepare your Grilled Burgers?? Do you use Gas or Charcoal??

cy

Flashaholic
don't understand all the comments about using lean beef for burgers???

don't know about propane, but on my charcoal grill. I prefer a std fat mix in my burgers as most of the fat burns off anyways. leaving a juicy delicious burger! VS grilling with a too lean mix and ending up with a somewhat dry burger :green:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big_Ed said:
I It's just so much quicker, easier, and more convenient.

you can't be in a hurry when cooking meat, go for pasta in that situation :D

Seriously, here we wait almost 30-40 minutes for the charcoal to be ready, then we put the meat over the grill and it takes, depending on how hungry people are, between 1 to 4 hours (gauchos sometimes cook meat more than 6hs!!!)

I use lump charcoal most of the time, but from time to time I use only wood or briquettes.

For meat I only use salt, no other dressings at all.

The key ingredient when cooking food is TIME, put the meat at 20-30cm (8-12in) from the charcoal and wait, always have some reserve charcoal on the side to add when needed, and again WAIT WAIT WAIT.

Pablo

HighLight

Enlightened
I use dehydrated onion flakes, worstershire, and steak spice in medium ground beef. Lump charcoal is best but I use a smoker box filled with hickory or alder wood chips as a compromise on my gas grill.
I think I'll shovel the snow away from the shed now and haul out the bbq! :)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again, burgers should be made from ground beef (or buffalo and/or "beefalo" crossbred -- be careful these are so lean that a "medium" burger will almost seem "well done") with a meat/fat ratio of between 80/20 to 90/10. Cook to about 160F, remove from the heat, and let rest for about 5 minutes. The meat will be juicy and the juices will not run out of the burgers. My wife made burgers from 95/5 beef a few nights ago an I almost choked because they were so dry.

Allso, try adding dried apricot and fennel to the burger (apricot burger with fennel) and serve with a good salsa. Wow!

There are quite a few other good burger recipes at wegmans.com, btw. Gotta plug the company once in a while, but the recipes really are tremendous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glass

Newly Enlightened
Yep, what Chmsam said...

Low fat percentage = dry burgers.

It is my experience that if you cook them at too low of temperature, they also become very dry. There is a balance between heat and time that really gives you the best burger. Unfortunately, I don't KNOW what it is. I just keep an eye on it until it looks "right".

I know, it sounds like Jedi grilling. :grin2:

I have done a lot of trial and error grilling. I just wish I'd got my hands on a digital thermometer years ago. Until you figure out how your grill/fuel behaves, a thermometer will net good results.

Patrick

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charcoal here... Propane is for lighting the charcoal quickly.

And if you like a rarer burger, just sear the steak on all sides before cubing and chopping it up in the food processor. Won't be any worse than eating a rare steak, and there's plenty of time to do it while waiting for the coals to get hot.

Grinding your own fatty chuck immediately before cooking is the BEST for burgers. I don't know why anybody would buy that preground stuff made from all the leftover trimmings and scraps, when it costs as much as chuck.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Glass said:
Low fat percentage = dry burgers.

:tsk: I disagree. I always cook mine with Maverick beef. Maverick is beef from cows that were given no steroids, hormones and al that crap. The ground beef is 96/4!! My burgers are super Juicy! No joke!

I will agree with this though: As the percentage of fat in the ground beef increases, the grilling latitude also increases. That means the more fat in the ground beef, the more forgiving the grilling time will be, like if you left them on for 3 minutes too long, they would still be juicy.

cy

Flashaholic
don't see what the big deal in using high fat beef burgers???

as most of the fat drips off into the fire. to me that's an esential part of grilling.

a large beef brisket with slabs of fat for me comes out much better than a too lean brisket. 10+ hours later most of the fat has been consumed by dripping off. leaving a tender moist brisket.... yummmmm

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the question is, do you absolutely have to use fatty ground beef? Heck, no. However, you do want some fat for texture, for a less dry burger, and for flavor. You can cook burgers with less than 10% fat but you have to be very, very careful not to overcook them, and most peple find that is too much work.

A little fat gives you some lattitude and more flavor, but too much fat is bad as well. Most folks don't stand over the stove or grill while they cook, so a little cushion is good (the phone rings, the kids act up, etc., so we get interrupted).

Doesn't it seem that people are drawn too far in with one, single aspect of food and (even worse) one single aspect of dieting? Also, most people think they know how to cook but could use a ton of more food education. I know that I have learned a lot in the past ten years. I used to watch a lot of the cooking shows and I have a ton of cookbooks. Many of them push you in the wrong direction, IMHO. Kinda of like "Maglights are the only good flashlight, aren't they? So why would you try anything else?"

For the average person, here's what I recommend you do:

- find a grocery store or meat market you can trust. Look for someone who will get you fresh ground beef, ground the way you like it (fat percentage, coarse or fine ground, etc.). The beef should look and smell fresh.

- btw, the latest reports about carbon monoxide treated beef that's been on the news might have raised awareness of food processing, so please feel free to ask how the beef is raised and processed. Carbon monoixde is not used on all beef. Good beef also can be raised without antibiotics and fed with no animal by-products. Beef does not have to be bright red to be fresh. Cuts of beef that are not exposed to air might be dark. Beef that is "blood red" has been exposed to air and might not stay fresh as long as beef that has been cryo-packed or vacuumn packed. Ground beef made from this meat might be dark since air hasn't gotten to it. The nose knows, so smell the beef to see if it seems fresh and when in doubt, ask.

- nothing worse than a burger that crumbles apart and "feeds the grill." Betcha can't make a burger patty to really holds together as well as I can. Make the patties by pressing the beef together with your hands on the top and the bottom of the patty, while moving your hands back and forth, in opposite directions from one another. You'll feel the texture of the burger change. That's the structure of the beef changing. Form the burger and use your thumbs to press the edges in so the burger looks like you want it. Do this and the burger will hold together much better, and of course you can put tasty stuff in the burger if you want to. I learned that from a meat cutter with about 35 years experience and it seems to work real well for me.

- don't use forks and don't poke or press the meat as you cook it. It's been said before, but cook it right to keep it juicy. Sear the outside of the meat. That takes a couple of minutes or so per side on hot coals. You will see the color change about 1/4" up from the bottom of the burger and you should look for a "brown paper bag" brown as you flip the burger over. Sear both sides of the burger and move the meat to a slightly cooler spot on the grill to do the actual cooking. When you THINK they're done, use a meat thermometer to see if they've hit 160F. You can't tell by looking, pressing, or any other way than by a thermometer. Leave "the stomach bug" for someone else to catch.

- finally, let the meat rest for a few minutes before you chow down. That will let you have a juicy, moist-er, better tasting burger.

I know this is a bit long, but I've been doing this stuff for years as part of my job, have been grilling for decades before that, and have just about seen it all. Try it this way and I'll bet you'll see that it works as well for you as it does for me.

HighLight

Enlightened
Whats the best way to use a thermometer to check for doneness? Where the patties are so thin do you stick it in sideways or just stab the thermometer down the middle. Try not to laugh to hard at my question...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although surveys have shown that charcoal is more popular, I want to taste the meat, not the grill. As a result, I prefer a iron/steel skillet on an electric element. Propane is my second choice. I know, heresey.

It wasn't always that way...

Back in 2001, I decided to host a bbq for our employees on my charcoal grill. I don't remember having any difficulties with getting the coals ready but there was a problem nevertheless. When we sat down to eat, the engineer (Mike) took one bite and said, "this tastes like wine, I can eat this!" We all took a few bites to comfirm what he was saying. Sure enough, somehow there was a strong taste of lighter fluid in the meat. Now, I had used lighter fluid on the charcoal, and I did wait for the coals to turn white and then put the grill over the coals. I really have no explanation why the flavor was so strong. I assume that some fluid fell outside the fire and the vapors got in the meat. For the next couple of days, several us where burping up lighter fluid taste. Nasty. This has made me more sensitive to the flavors imparted by a charcoal grill.

Charcoal is usually prefered by many people I think because of the smokey flavors, etc. Flame cooking also sears the meat differently than a hot plate.

I have grilled using charcoal many times since (as recently as the phx gt last week), and people tell me they can't taste any lighter fluid (I check!) but I can smell it and the meat has that sticky sweet burned flavor.

Now you should know I am not an expert on cooking and don't get paid to be. I am sure not all my methods are the best, I am still learning. I mostly look for methods that don't take a lot of time and produce safe but reasonably tasty meat. To be really sure that the meat is cooked, you need to cut it open or at least probe it in several places with a meat thermometer.

When I cook hamburger, I cook the first side at high heat to sear the outside and create a fluid barrier. I then flip the meat. After a minute or two, I turn the heat down (or move the meat to the cool side of the grill) and slow cook it. When the core heats up, you'll see small dots of blood appear on the top of the meat. When that runs clear, the meat is well done. Usually the fluid thickens on the surface and forms dross on the top of the meat, I scrap off any large chunks and flip the burger one more time for a quick sear. This is mostly to clean off the patty. I never squeeze the meat (you want it juicy, not dry) and my intention is never to have any pink in the patty since I usually cook for other people and don't want anyone to get sick.

I normally don't add any flavors on the grill but sometimes people ask for sauces, seasons salts, etc.

Some people prefer to use lean meat (~5% fat). With meat that lean, it becomes more critical to keep what fat you do have in the meat. It is a key component in the flavor. Also, the fluids are going to be more scarce so either you have to watch it more closely or use another method to check the temp.

For steak, the technique is similiar to hamburger but I stop cooking it soon after the blood starts to seep out the top. I prefer my steaks medium rare (a layer of pink through the middle). The desired flavor is "tangy". I then can add worchester or A-1.

I have used other techniques for testing when the meat is cooked such as meat thermometers, poking the meat, cutting it open, etc. But usally, just watching the fluids will do the job. I make sure I have a nice white light handy (1x123 LS) for checking the colors. Some people use a headlamp so they have both hands free and don't get their light sticky.

For chicken, I try to be extra carefull so people don't get sick. I tend to cook it slower, and cut in two the largest piece on the grill to test. It should be white all the way through, no blood and no pink. I tend to prefer chicken that has been marinated (put it in a ziplock bag with italian dressing for half the day or more in the fridge).

Protect those eyebrows... :)

Peter

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the life of me, I'll never understand why EITHER charcoal or gas is preferable. I like both and BOTH can grill anything you want and just as tasty. I've been BBQing for over 35 years and still have my original Weber charcoal grill that I bought 30 years ago. I take meticulous care of it but I use my Weber gas grill more frequently, especially up here in the cold winter months.

Smoke is just as important as how the meat is prepared or cooked and either grill can be made to smoke nicely with the wood chips you use. The lowly gas grill can produce just as wonderful BBQ as the charcoal grill if you know what you're doing.