How far will you go to have the best led light?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most expensive light I have is a CCrane trek 7. I think I paid around 60 bucks for it more than a year ago. And I still use it sometimes. I don`t regret buying it. But I enjoy my AAA Arc even more and it cost half as much.

At this point, we see things moving fast in the LED world. We might start seeing LS flashlights at Wallmart any day at low prices. So I just sit and wait. But if I were a little richer, I would prefer to have top stuff...Arc, Surfire. It`s just that my wife keeps demanding food. Haven`t figured out how to get rid of her without risking loosing half my lights.
grin.gif

Ken

guncollector

Enlightened
Wayne writes:
This is why I am going to market a 3 'D' cell flashlight, which I would consider a 'entry level' sort of Luxeon Star flashlight. Not real expensive, kinda too big, something you wouldn't mind throwing in the glove box of the car, or having in your house for emergencies. I would like to call this flashlight the StarLux. I have a web page on it now:
Elektro Lumens StarLux, 3 'D' Cell Luxeon Star Flashlight

No, not $150, or $100, or $75.
I will be probably be selling it for $49.99.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I see the sagacity in this approach. Your "average joe" flashlight user may appreciate an Arc LS, but is not going to shell out the bucks for it. However, he be very inclined to shell out double the cost of a 3D Maglite for the feature-rich, battery-saving, StarLux.

The question becomes how do you get it distributed? I mean, unless Sam Walton is your buddy, how do you get this product into the stores?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
(guncollector asks ?)

I see the sagacity in this approach. Your "average joe" flashlight user may appreciate an Arc LS, but is not going to shell out the bucks for it. However, he be very inclined to shell out double the cost of a 3D Maglite for the feature-rich, battery-saving, StarLux.

The question becomes how do you get it distributed? I mean, unless Sam Walton is your buddy, how do you get this product into the stores?[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is a very good question! I do have a strategy to do this, which probably would not be good business to discuss in an open forum. However, I like how you speak of the 'average Joe'. That's exactly the point. I want to get the average Joe to own a Luxeon Star flashlight. The average Joe thinks that if a flashlight costs more than $3.95, it costs to much. So the 'aspiring flashalolic would be busniness man' needs to learn how to show value in his product, so much so, that a person sees the value in spending more than $3.95 for a flashlight, and is willing to shell out more. How much is 'more', though? How much will the average Joe spend? I don't think it would be $100, I'm pretty sure.

How do I get it distributed? Well, time will tell.
grin.gif

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Empath

Flashaholic
It's just a personally interpreted observation, but I think there is something to learn from "average Joe" in regard to Maglites. Maglites, until offered at special prices below the $20 mark didn't even start appearing in the inventory of general merchandise retailers. If "average Joe" doesn't buy what they consider "top of the line" until it's below $20 they aren't even going to take a second glance at what they consider an experimental light.

Saturday a week ago, our neighborhood Walmart had two Brinkman LX lights in stock. After a week, they still have two. The LX is marked at $19.99.

What does all that prove? Nothing. Sometimes I just go with gut feelings.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is just my opinion, so please don't take this as anything but.

I personally do not subscribe to the idea of, "you have to own them all".

In America and other prosperous nations, we have too much stuff we don't need. Drive down your street and see how many people have to park in their driveway because their garages are full of stuff.

Part of perfection is minimalism and minimalism for the sake of efficiency.

I only have two lights in the house right now. A key chain light and a pocket light. Yes, they are both Arcs, but the point is not, "only own Arc", but "only own what works for you".

Now if you are a flashlight collector/hobbyist/reviewer/company, then this is a different matter all together. As part of that profession, you must own a good size collection that reflects your interests. But be honest and see it as a collection. Otherwise you might ask the question, why do I personally need this light instead of, would adding this to my collection reflect my tastes in lights?

As far as the cost of an Arc-LS or Arc-AAA, I wish they cost less. There are much better causes in this world to spend your money on if you so desire. I do not think everyone who buys our product actually needs it. That is not my decision to make of course. There are customers of ours who buy the light because anything less would waste their time or money. That is who I create for.

If you pause at price first, then you are wise in my opinion to focus on lights that are inexpensive as possible. There are many to choose from including Mag light, Princeton Tec, CMG, Lightwave (and the list goes on).

Arc (or Surefire) is not for everyone!

Best wishes "mchri5" on your hunt...

Peter Gransee

fasteddie

Enlightened
I'll echo Peter's thoughts. If you find yourself being able to answer the question, "What's a knife for" by saying "to cut stuff" or similarly find yourself thinking that the purpose of a flashlight is to see in the dark, then there are many economical choices around in knives, flashlights, cars, etc. But if you find yourself in a situation where you need the most reliable, brightest flashlight to save someone's life or even protect your own, there are just a few choices. If you're a collector of anything, you are always searching for the holy grail of your hobby. There are people who pay hundreds of dollars per seat per night to see a basketball game and have nothing tangible to show for it, and people who spend thousands on artwork, and that doesn't even light a room or cut an envelope. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. To me, a life with out hobbies or passions is an empty one.

rodmeister

Enlightened
I'm getting old and life's too short to buy only cheap stuff. I want the best and nicest I can afford for anything I own - that means ARC and Surefire flashlights, Chris Reeve and Mayo knives, Omegas and Rolexes, Colt Single Action Army's, Bushmaster XM15's, etc. And I derive a lot of pleasure from them.

But I also buy cheaper lights, knives, guns etc., as loaners and backups.

I choked on buying a $120 ARC LS flashlight too, so I bought a factory second for $70. Best deal on the planet. The LS is a super light. I don't know of anyone who regrets buying one.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag lite reference should be heeded IMHO.
I've seen that the "avreage joe" turns to the mag lite as a reference point when they think flashlight. They use it as a comparison for beam brightness, durability, and cost. If you could make yours in the 20-30$ range it would attract attention. Maybe go witha two cell?

fasteddie

Enlightened
Hey rodmeister, Want to sell or trade any of those Mayos? Got some ARC LS High Dome firsts you might like. I'll make sure those Mayos have a good home. You admit yourself, you are getting old...
wink.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by webley445:
The Mag lite reference should be heeded IMHO.
I've seen that the "avreage joe" turns to the mag lite as a reference point when they think flashlight. They use it as a comparison for beam brightness, durability, and cost. If you could make yours in the 20-30$ range it would attract attention. Maybe go witha two cell?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If a person wants extremely high quality jewelry, does he go to Wally's World? Not likely. People go to Wal Mart to get stuff inexpensively as possible. That's why I go there. When I'm there, I'm the 'average bargain hunter Joe'. Will people go there to buy a super high quality flashlight, and pay big money? Not likely.

A Luxeon Star flashlight hardly falls under the category of an inexpensive flashlight. Even a low price flashlight using a Luxeon Star will be way to expensive to sell there, or Target, or other similar stores.

The ARC LS, a top of the line super high quality flashlight, or a low price retrofit like one of mine will be, will probably not be seen in one of these department stores. I could be wrong, of course. That happens once in a great while.
grin.gif

Wayne J.

Spork

Enlightened
Originally posted by Gransee:
In America and other prosperous nations, we have too much stuff we don't need. Drive down your street and see how many people have to park in their driveway because their garages are full of stuff. I only have two lights in the house right now. A key chain light and a pocket light. Yes, they are both Arcs, but the point is not, "only own Arc", but "only own what works for you".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think this describes about 90% of people. I try to sell everything I don't want. I've sold anything from video games to flashlights on ebay. Sometimes my parents think im strange and my mom says shes surpised I haven't sold the bed i sleep on. The things that aren't even worth my time to sell go in a rubbermade tote and packed away neatly down the basement. I'm liveing at home with parents and its terrible the junk they have all over. my dad will buy expensive wood working tools then only use them a few times. so not only was it a waste of money its a waste of space. I know first hand how all that stuff can over crowd your home. The first priority for my money is to
save up for a house which I'm thinking about buying in cash. I have really been thinking about why I want all these flashlights. I asked myself if I really want to collect them or do I just want to use only the best flashlights? I think I am less satisfied haveing all these lights than if I just had a few. I was never much on collecting things because nothing lasts forever and things change so fast. I'm going to do a sell off on most of my lights. I plan to keep my original infinity and continue to use lithiums with it. it brings the brightness closer to the arc and ultra yet still gives you a amazing runtime. I will also never give up my arc aaa. I was trying out all my lights and got to thinking the much bigger x5 and opalec aren't really that much brighter than the arc. its even less noticeable indoors. I just put in my order for a seconds ls from you. I'm not going to purchase anymore incandesent flashlights so I want the best led flashlight to replace it which will be your arc ls. I just put in a order for a swiss light which I think will be a keeper also. with these 4 lights hopefully I won't want to buy anymore until there is another very unique light that would work better than the ones I have. thank you for your replies.
Chris

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best is a somewhat vague term. Best of type is a better way of stating it.
wink.gif
In that regard, I consider the Lightwave 4000 to be best of its type. I have no doubt that the Arc LS is best of its type (just ordered a seconds kit this weekend).
grin.gif

Just got done ordering a Pro Series Bulb from LEDCorp to upgrade my Mag-Lite, and a Princeton Tec Matrix LED Module for my PT Solo. That will bring those 2 up to my specs.

John at LEDCorp mentioned that they are feverishly working on a Focusable LS based flashlight, but they have to go carefully, to not infringe on existing patents. He wouldn't say any more than that, and only told me, when I mentioned that I am a member of this forum.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Now wait a couple of days before you inquire about their 2 Cell Pro Series PR WHITE LED bulbs, as they just found several in the new batch of Luxeon Stars they got in. That is the one I just ordered, and it will take about 10 days to assemble the actual bulb (drool.....).

Best is something that is subjective (eye of beholder), as well as objective. If it fits a particular need, I look for the best available at the time, and within my budget.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
We all seem to agree that "best" has personal meaning to each of us.

I am always looking for the smallest, brightest light with the longest runtime. The "holy grail of my collection" (as Ed_A puts it) would be something the size of the E2, 500+ lumens for 10+ hours. Clearly this is way beyond present and even near-future technology. The lights that come closest to this are usually, but not always expensive. For me the issue is not money (although
I would hesitate to pay $200-$300 for an M4) but rather how closely any light approaches those goals.

So I can appreciate the CMG Reactor (see comparison test in this forum), but I can't wait to get my LS second. And I can appreciate my various SF 2x123 lights but can't wait to get my hands on Surefires line of regulated lights, both incandescent and LED.

I look at alternate technologies like HID and wonder when (if) they will be available in a relatively small flashlight. And I am excited by the promise of tungsten lattice technology, although that will probably entail an even longer wait. And I am awaiting the day when LED manufacturers, having finally proven that they can compete in the Lumen Sweepstakes with the macho incandescents, finally turn their creative efforts toward a truly revolutionary product: the "super efficient" LED. Only then will LED's begain to truly fulfill their potential.

So, I buy any light that I feel will come closer to my stated goals, but I am also a collector with all the rational consideration, passion, compulsivity, learning and continual updating of information that term implies.

Brightnorm

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got to agree with Brightnorm here, so many times I've been tempted to buy the "brightest" flashlights (M3,M6 x990 etc) but then thought to myself "when would I use it ?"

I want a pocket sized light so when needed it's actually in my pocket and not at home in a cupboard.

So at the moment the "best" lights for me are Surefire E2e, Scorpion, Arc LS etc.

* edit *
ok I'm lying to myself, I'll still get an M6 when I can afford it - Just can't resist
smile.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
Best is a somewhat vague term. Best of type is a better way of stating it.
wink.gif
In that regard, I consider the Lightwave 4000 to be best of its type. I have no doubt that the Arc LS is best of its type (just ordered a seconds kit this weekend).
grin.gif

Just got done ordering a Pro Series Bulb from LEDCorp to upgrade my Mag-Lite, and a Princeton Tec Matrix LED Module for my PT Solo. That will bring those 2 up to my specs.

John at LEDCorp mentioned that they are feverishly working on a Focusable LS based flashlight, but they have to go carefully, to not infringe on existing patents. He wouldn't say any more than that, and only told me, when I mentioned that I am a member of this forum.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Now wait a couple of days before you inquire about their 2 Cell Pro Series PR WHITE LED bulbs, as they just found several in the new batch of Luxeon Stars they got in. That is the one I just ordered, and it will take about 10 days to assemble the actual bulb (drool.....).

Best is something that is subjective (eye of beholder), as well as objective. If it fits a particular need, I look for the best available at the time, and within my budget.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You are correct about 'best'. In the day when Henry Ford mass produced cars, his was the 'best'. Best in terms of making the automobile in large numbers, bringing the price down, and making it available to the ordinary person. If you thought best in terms of quality, you would not have purchased a Model 'T' or Model 'A'. Some people look for the 'best buy', meaning least expensive. Others will spend quite a bit more, and consider it the 'best buy'.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Latest posts