How is the quality/finish on the new Fenixes?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
After being disappointed in the P1D-CE, I've been planning to buy the L1D-CE and L2D-CE. I can't remember seeing any threads so far about quality problems (thread slop, etc.) with the new lights. I really like their UI and form factor, so if they're pretty solid (as solid as most other Fenix lights, which is quite solid), I'll be popping over to fenix-store.

bray

Newly Enlightened
the threads are fine on my l1dce and l0dce. On another note the finishs are different on the newest lights, they are more of a glossy black, compared to the P1dce or previous fenixs. i recommend them.. The UI on the l1dce is indeed nice

dirobesh

Enlightened
My L2D has smooth threads, a perfectly centered cree and a really nice warm white output. It is also one of the very few torches i've bought with no dust on the reflector or on the inside of the lens.

Of course, YMMV but I rate the quality as being excellent.

r0b0r

Enlightened
I'm very impressed with mine also (L1D). The finish is indeed noticably different to my L1P. While I really liked the matte satin black of the L1P, that finish was not all too durable.
For some reason I think this one will hold up better.
Threads are smooth and lens\reflector are flawless :) Yay!
And it's ever so white ^_^

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes they are a glossy black. No finish or thread problems noticed. One thing I like is you can blow out the inside of the lens if it comes with any dust specks inside.

gunga

Flashaholic
The finish is good, a bit more glossy as everyone stated. Also evenly matched (was looking at the amzingly different appearance of the parts on my LOP SE). I cleaned the threads out on my L1D first, had a lot of loose aluminum left-over. Once clean and lubed, everything is smoooooth...

Andromeda

Newly Enlightened
Own mine for about 2 weeks, using it everynight. Just last evening, I noticed my L1D flickers in the turbo mode. Could be some contact issue?

gunga

Flashaholic
Try cleaning the top of the body tube, near the head with alcohol. Also clean the contact within the head that connects to the top of the tube.

You can try with and without lube to see if one works better. I use lube, does not seem to hurt conduction.

r0b0r

Enlightened
Andromeda said:
Own mine for about 2 weeks, using it everynight. Just last evening, I noticed my L1D flickers in the turbo mode. Could be some contact issue?

Could it be the circuitry letting you know it's having difficulty in maintaining the juice to the LED? Tried recharging \ new cell?

How did cleaning the contacts go?

r0b0r

Enlightened
gunga said:
You can try with and without lube to see if one works better. I use lube, does not seem to hurt conduction.

Nothing worse than chafing your equipment :sssh:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LOD CE finish is excellent. Different from the orginal Fenix's. Has a shine to the finish.

dsc04351smallnj6.jpg

Top, LOD CE. Bottom, LOP

dsc04298smallfj6.jpg

The L1D CE also has the shiny finish, noted in this picture.

dsc04401smallap3.jpg

Compare the finsh of L1D CE and the first generation L1P.

Left, L1D CE. Right, Fenix L1P (1st Generation)

dsc04373smallwl1.jpg

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the older, matt finish.

Looks more professional to my eyes.

However, the newer finish matches "Sharpie" for touching up better !!!

PS: Is there a Matt "Sharpie" ?

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
I prefer the older, matt finish.

Looks more professional to my eyes.

However, the newer finish matches "Sharpie" for touching up better !!!

PS: Is there a Matt "Sharpie" ?

Yeah, I agree, the new finish looks a bit too shiny and kinky(in lack of better words) to me. Going by the photos, the old one looks MUCH better, don't care if it scratches easier. Actually never understood the point of HAIII and scratchfree lights(especially on "tactical" lights), they are tools, supposed to be used.

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
My XM-3 had a finish far, far more durable than the Fenix "HAIII". I would say the Fenix has a powercoat finish, not anodized. Mine got scratched up by using a soft aluminum carabiner on the holster. In fact, I believe that true anodizing is hard, rough, and generally not suitable for most consumer products.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
zeeexsixare said:
Mine got scratched up by using a soft aluminum carabiner on the holster.

Did it actually get scratched, or as they say in CSI, was it transference of aluminium to the torch body ?

Might be worth checking.

mikehill

Enlightened
Slight change of topic, but is the strobe mode like the Gladius one ?

Thanks, Mike.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've tried them out for a few days, and both of my L2D-CEs flicker from time to time. Sometimes they don't turn on immediately, sometimes they jump between levels, and sometimes they just plain ol' flicker.

I'll look for that recent thread about cleaning/lubing the threads, and maybe I'll find a solution in there.

Pretty disappointing, though - I was expecting L2T/P1/E0/etc. quality, and I got P1D-CE quality. Oh well.

havand

Enlightened
I just picked up one of the L1P from fenix-store.com clearance section. I have one of the older ones too. Gotta say, the new finish seems like an enamel and less like an anodizing. I'm not saying anything about its durability, just the feeling it gives me. I was going to replace my L1P with a nice new non dingedup version and give mine to my dad, but, selfishly, I'm going to keep my older one and give him the new one. I just plain don't like the finish :shrug: