How often do you really NEED a flashlight?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight in the narrow sense, only a few times a week. Portable lighting in general, mostly in the form of a helmet mounted headlamp, 10 hours in any average week.

Tomas

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
DrJones said: Lots of people carry firearms everyday. Have you ever carried one, gadgetnut? It is a big, fat PITA. (Pain in the ***.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, if it's a PITA then likely you're carrying it incorrectly ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Have you considered a holster? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

T_sig6.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long ago I was taught a lesson about firearms [and weapons that I have carried over to lights and many other aspects of life].
Lesson goes like this, in this example we are refering to guns.

"What is the best gun to have for self defense?"

[usual answers] "Umm, a .357, no a .45, gee I guess maybe a shotgun?......"

answer: "The best gun to have is the one thats within reach or in your hand when you need it."

Even if its just an Arc AAA, Ultra or CMG AAA, Photon, whatever, it is better to have it when you need it than not. Go with what your budget will allow. There are many good choices with decent output for whatever you perceive to be your needs. If you are really thinking of SF look at the E1. As long as you are satisfied and you have it when you need it, that is all that matters. Budget is a concern to me also and my collection is 90% affordable lights that perform very well, 60% of them being led as I like the longer runtimes.

I had power turn off in a building I worked recently and the Ultra in my pocket was a Godsend. Not one person had a light on them. It looks like a lighthouse beacon when there are no lights on and you need to see.

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
Uh, if it's a PITA then likely you're carrying it incorrectly ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Have you considered a holster? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

T_sig6.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A hol...wha??

I just carry it around in my hand. Is there something wrong with that?

Is that why people go running from me and why I can't seem to get a date? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And yes, webley brings up an excellent point.

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Normally neck lanyard EDC an AAA ARC & also have an ancient keychain mounted LED light that will likely be updated to a Photon (used to have a photon there and gave it to my father one night).

My hope is to get an ARC L4 or 5 so that I can EDC "more the sun in my hand" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The AAA is normally used a couple times a day er night as I walk several miles each day, either laaaaate at night or early AM before work to avoid the S Fla heat. Ms. Lighthouse carries a AAAA stylus in the purse and recently started carrying an ARC LE on her keychain.

I can relate to lighting up the reflective roadway signs. FWIW the AAA will cause a noticable brightning of reflective signs from several hundred feet away if you are not looking into the glow of streetlights and don't have any backlighting.

As far as why I EDC a light, simple ... far better to have it and not need it, than to need it and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif not have it.

Regards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
Lighthouse

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine about 3-6 times a day,
The Micro Illuminator on the keychain (with the little swiss army knife) helps out a lot when you know you have one! At work I used to have a drop light on the desk to make out components when I was troubleshooting. Now I use the Micro or Mini-LGI/McFlood (always on the desk) and it is a nice thing to have. When going on location for the larger medical equipment (xray, lab and surgical) the little Micro always does the trick. The other guys carry a minimag and having one is better than nothing.
On the weekends, I use it so my wife is not disturbed when I go to the bathroom. The Brinkmann/BB400 Q3L sits on my bicycle helmet and will be used every day when the clocks switch back in a month. I really, really, really NEED that helmet mounted light to look at car drivers when riding my recumbent to work. It will be augmented with a 2D Mag/MM+ running an R2H mounted to the frame.
The greatest fun with a modified light is that folks think it is stock...until they blind themselves turning it on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
[ QUOTE ]
DrJones said: Lots of people carry firearms everyday. Have you ever carried one, gadgetnut? It is a big, fat PITA. (Pain in the ***.)

[/ QUOTE ]

T_sig6.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! (Totally unexpected, literally made me laugh out loud!)

Brightnorm

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I haven't NEEDED my EDC TT2L nor my ARC AAA backup for at least three days now.

I did use my EDC SAK Classic (carried almost exclusively for the scissors) just yesterday to cut open some blue loctite for a job I was on.

I remain solidly on the idea that:

It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have!

Mim

Newly Enlightened
I use lights at work all the time. I got an Arc LSL and EDC it now. It's suprising how often I find it handy even though I normally might not necesarily need it, according to the definition being used here. So many times I'm like "hold on I got a light" and facilitating a situation. To me it is as important as a pocket knife or pen.

Tombeis

Enlightened
I have a Surefire 10X in my truck and one in the bedroom for emergencies.

The workhorse I carry in a holster is the Surefire E2e with a exceptionally bright Kl-1 LED bezel.

I use the E2e probably 10 to 15 times a day, and that's not counting the times someone asks me to let them use the flashlight.

I have tried several other combinations of lights for the EDC and each time I return to the E2e/KL-1. The slight blue tint on the KL-1 comes very close to matching the color temperature of daylight, and this makes it very useful when you need to light a dark area on an object that is mainly lighted by daylight. When you get used to using a KL-1, all other lights look yellow by comparison.

I have other flashlights I play with, but the E2e is the one that gets the real workout everyday.

And... Just in case, there is an E1 in my left pocket for backup.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like everyone else, I've got several lights waiting in various places "just in case." Those include an Ultra-G in each car, and ARC AAA on our keyrings (wife's and my own), and some lights in the house reserved for power outage use.

Beyond that, I'm sure I still have too many lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We have a detached garage and poor outside lighting, so whenever I walk outside to take out trash, get the car for an evening trip, etc., I grab a light. Usually SF L4, or EL Blaster VI, or LGI.

Sometimes I also take walks in the yard for relaxation or to look at stars. TurtleLite II is great for this purpose.

Then there are the indoor tasks, like checking our baby in his crib. Ultra-G, Opalec or occassionally MMM with MM+ do well for indoor use.

Like I said, too many lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deanster

Enlightened
So, there's the 'know you're going to need it because you use it all the time' school, and the 'just in case' school.

I carry an Inova Micro or ArcAAA on my keychain for 'just in case'. As it turns out, these little lights, while very useful, don't put out enough light for many of my needs, but more than enough in case things go dark unexpectedly.

I live in an urban environment, and when I need a light, it's usually to look into a deep shadow created by a streetlight.

The little lights just don't can't compete to light up an area when your eyes are adjusted for the bright streetlight level. Great example is trying to change a tire when you're on the shadow side of the car.

Same thing when looking under the desk for a computer port - I need a light that will let me look into a dark hole from a brightly lit exterior. Same for looking in my kid's ears or noses to see if there really is an Altoid stuck in there. Same for looking at things to see if there are cracks.

The Arc LS series does a fine job of this, and is my 'use it every day' light - at least during the winter, when there are many hours a day of dark here in Seattle. In the summer, I hardly bother, as it's only dark from 10pm to 4:30am or so. In the dark of winter, I use some light daily, and need one about once a week.

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Deanster said:
I live in an urban environment, and when I need a light, it's usually to look into a deep shadow created by a streetlight.

The little lights just don't can't compete to light up an area when your eyes are adjusted for the bright streetlight level. Great example is trying to change a tire when you're on the shadow side of the car.

Same thing when looking under the desk for a computer port - I need a light that will let me look into a dark hole from a brightly lit exterior. Same for looking in my kid's ears or noses to see if there really is an Altoid stuck in there. Same for looking at things to see if there are cracks.

The Arc LS series does a fine job of this, and is my 'use it every day' light - at least during the winter, when there are many hours a day of dark here in Seattle. In the summer, I hardly bother, as it's only dark from 10pm to 4:30am or so. In the dark of winter, I use some light daily, and need one about once a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deanster, this is precisely why I've discovered that I need a BRIGHT light in an urban environment; when your eyes are already adjusted to light, many flashlights aren't bright enough to cut it.

Which is why I'm in the process of acquiring an L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need one constantly, because I'm on 3-11, frequently work over 11-7, and am a night owl, given to roaming around in the dark, regardless.
Probably pull out the E2E a dozen times per day at work, more if checking out equipment, or holding it for maintenance while they work.
Use it around the house, from coming in in the dark, to walking through the house, not wanting to turn lights on and back off everywhere I go.
And I play with flashlights alot, because they're cool, fun toys...