How 'precious' are you about your torches?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, should I just act like that now (i.e. not worry about laying it down on concrete or wherever I happen to be), and let it become worn? Or should I keep it nice forever? :thinking:
Howdy CoolHands, and welcome to CPF,
I believe the question is how should YOU treat your new torch. I think you've already hit on the answer. You will start off a bit hesitant, but in a while, after being forced thru circumstances beyond your control to actually subject your shiny new light to the kind of abuse that good tools always end up encountering, you will realize that you have come to depend on it's superior function, not it's aesthetics.

After that, it will be on it's way to becoming an old, trusted friend that you know you can count on, at which point...... just like real live friends....... you will begin to see the little nicks and scars that have built up over your once new flashlight's life, as badges of honor, and signs of character, rather than blemishes.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the more expensive the light less abuse they will get which is ironic since more expensive lights are tougher than the cheap one. that is my case anyway.

boosterboy

Enlightened
I see them as tools, so I use them the way they are meant to be used.
I don't torture them, but I don't baby them either.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my lights, all of them at one time or another however, I don't use them as hammers, test surfaces for grinding wheels, target practice for the shooting range--I think you catch my drift. I use my flashlights as flashlights rather than as TEST lights. I have an extensive knife collection as well---you will never see me using any of them as screwdrivers, tent pegs, axes or leverage bars for the same reason. Now if I were a manufacturer, I'd beat the snot out of 'em before I sold them to the crew on CPF however, as I said, I'm a user and not an Abuser. If I ever get the good common sense up to actually SELL any of my lights, the purchaser will get them exactly the way I received them--like new. Don't get me wrong, there's been a few times when I have lost grip and had one slip and bounced it on the ground but, that is rare. These are too expensive, too well designed and too useful for me to take them to the edge of destruction just for that same reason--no reason in my book. Just my opinion though... :whistle:

Karl

tinkerer

Newly Enlightened
Besides the Arc AAA in my pocket full time, the rest of my lights are rotated every few days on the belt. Its more fun for me to use them than look at them on the shelf. Being used at work.....they're also a tax write off:whistle:

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
I like to buy lights on BST they have been well used. I just got an L1 with 3 good nicks (even in HAIII) that way it's a user right off the bat.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I'm not very careful with my lights but I don't abuse them either. All in all they get pretty light duty. I actually like the character marks that come with age....it makes it more my light and not Surefire's or HDS's.

My girlfriend worries about breaking my lights when she uses them. I tried to tell her that she can drop them and they won't be damaged at all. She still worried. So one time when we were standing there talking about a light I just dropped it on the floor suddenly. She yelled because she thought I had just damaged one of my favorite lights. I picked it up and showed her there was absolutely no damage. Sometimes showing someone is worth hours of explanation.

prinsen-ranch

Newly Enlightened
I use my lights on the ranch. My two favorites are my Surefire A2 and my Novatac 120P. Since I EDC these lights, they're the ones I have when I really need light and they take a lot more abuse than the ARC AAAp on my keychain. Both are HAIII coated and really only show wear on the bezzels and lenses. They get dropped, covered in grease, oil, diesel, etc, but clean up fine. The only light I am somewhat careful with is my Surefire M6. It still looks new, but that's because it gets less use than my EDC lights and for me it's a specialty light for spotting coyotes or checking irrigation at night. Even the M6 gets a lot of time bouncing around in a bag on the back of an ATV or shoved in a jacket pocket along with whatever else is in there in cooler weather.

My lights are tools, fun tools, but still just tools. In ten years I'm sure these lights will be replaced by smaller brighter lights with functions I haven't even dreamed of. Then I'll probably take them out once in awhile just for nostalgia's sake and any honorable scars will be badges of the service they've given me - like the 20 year old MAG 4D I'm still very fond of, but don't really use any more.

Mark

BurkStar

Newly Enlightened
I was a Security Supervisor at a gated community where having your own personal light that fit in your pocket was a decided advantage. I used on a daily basis multiple SF's (E1 through 10X), HDS 65LE and many others. All had dings and scuffs and never failed me. I'm now in a custom light mode and so far have a Gotham, a Gat Light, McGizmo 27 PD, a Leef nickle plated Fenix P1 and a Drake/Draco and an Aleph 3 on order. All of these are going to be used, especially since I've liquidated my SF's. Any that I find I don't use will end up being traded or sold, though I don't forsee that happening.

GreySave

Enlightened
Like many others here I try to use my lights carefully to avoid unnecessary damage. But, at the same time, they were purchased to be used. So, when the chips are down and they are really needed (such as when deployed in any of the oganizations I serve with), they get used as needed with less regard for care of their finish.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I liked that earlier post about 'I'm a user not an abuser'. I use my lights, but treat them well and most of them have little or no signs of wear. My Sam's Element lights have a few nicks when I accidentally lose grip of them while out taking a walk, but that's about it. My original Fenix L1P still looks like new, as I keep it in the holster when not using it, and when using it, I make sure the lanyard is secured around my wrist.

Gaffle

Enlightened
I had some small nails coming out of a molding in my house. The only thing I had in my pocket was my propoly. It was easier tapping the nails back in with the poly than going downstairs, grab my hammer, come back upstairs, pound in the nails, and then go back downstairs to put my hammer in its home.

I'm a beat-up kind of guy.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had some small nails coming out of a molding in my house. The only thing I had in my pocket was my propoly. It was easier tapping the nails back in with the poly than going downstairs, grab my hammer, come back upstairs, pound in the nails, and then go back downstairs to put my hammer in its home.

I'm a beat-up kind of guy.

I guess in an "emergency"--maybe this was one (?)--ya gotta do watcha gotta do!

Karl

easilyled

Flashaholic
I cosset all my more expensive torches/flashlights and if I carry them in
my pocket, I will always have a good quality sheath to protect them.

However I just bought a TiCN Draco which is supposed to be worn
with confidence on a keychain.

I have only had the courage to put it on my keychain once, but am not
convinced that it won't eventually scratch up, even though TiCN is a
very hard coating and the Draco has been designed for keychain carry.

Due to the cost and the beauty of the light, I am finding it difficult to take
the plunge. :(

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with those who use but don't abuse. My camping gear has seen a lot of use and I have a Surefire L2 that has traveled quite a bit with me but still looks brand new in spite of some heavy use under sometimes less than favorable conditions.

There are a couple of lights I have that are "for show only" but most of them really are tools and, to me, tools are to be used and sometimes used up if necessary.