How to protect file on USB from being copied?

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 truecrypt ^^^

once you start using it with --huge- passwords anyone can copy your file but no
one is going to be able to decrypt it
. use a huge password like
'the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain' along with some special characters mixed in

Last edited:

Kith

Newly Enlightened
OP - you are sunk as soon as you allow a third party to plug it in to their computer.

It doesn't matter what level encryption this or that you use.

As soon as the file is open on the computer in question, a clear text (non-encrypted) version can be saved right out of RAM.

I run a custom piece of software that automatically backs up anything my computer opens out of RAM and onto the cloud.

What you are asking to do is not possible.

The only way you could keep what you want to keep from their hands is to bring your own machine to demo on it - if you plugged that flash drive into my machine i'd have a full copy of the document backed up off-site in cloud storage before we were past page 1 of the demo.

buds224

Enlightened
I just received information about this that might be interesting. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but the claims may match the OP's requirements.

http://www.mediasupply.com/usbcopyprotection.html

***UPDATE: Never mind, looks like it's not useable storage space.....you send them the files, they do all the encryption and you're stuck with the configuration of data. Not very viable after all.

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It's almost impossible to keep information secret. In 1977 I was able to see a bootleg copy of "Starwars" made by a guy with a video camera in a theater. We have much better tech now. An HD camera capable of recording the whole spiel in a pocket ballpoint pen, for instance.

Dan

27ragbag

Newly Enlightened
I just received information about this that might be interesting. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but the claims may match the OP's requirements.

http://www.mediasupply.com/usbcopyprotection.html

***UPDATE: Never mind, looks like it's not useable storage space.....you send them the files, they do all the encryption and you're stuck with the configuration of data. Not very viable after all.

Clicking on the link shows they are using the Nexcopy solution mentioned above. They just do the data loading for you, but Nexcopy has a wizard so you can re-do the drives yourself.

robinson18

Newly Enlightened
Some people like to use password to protect their PDF files from being modified or copied without authorizing. A PDF file with the modify password cannot be copied and edited unless you have the password.

However, with PDF Password Remover, you can remove the copy and edit restrictions from secured PDF files as you like even you do not know the password.

Spazhead

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to say, but if you let people read the file, then any content inside can be copied by simply doing screen captures. or using your phone camera to take a picture or video of the screen displaying the info.

Here I am again trying to reach out for help from the many computer savvy guys/gals on this board.
I have a scenario that I'm looking for solution.

How can I prevent file on USB flashdrive to being copy and paste either via right click or drag and drop copy to other device that is hookup to it like a PC or laptop? The file will be PDF, document file, JPG or some other image file, and some movie file etc?

The scenario is the file will be needed to be just viewable to show people but they cannot copy any part of it out from it other than admin level that create/authorize full control of it.
Example is like a person on a field trip is bring some presentation stored on USB flashdrive and show it on field premise to showcase company stuff like brochure, powerpoint, concept drawing, sales figure etc but we do not allowed them to have those file on the USB drive to being able to copied off to client's PC or even their own home without authorization. Not even a phrase or JPG image from a particular document etc. Pretty much just view only mode. Print screen function might be hard to work around that but hopefully something that will able prevent it or come out blank is there anything like that out there?
Only manage to find how to write protect the drive but not in my intended scenario.

The internet search provides a lots of solution but it's on PC/laptop but not on USB flashdrive that I could find.

Thanks and appreciate any info/input from you guys/gals.

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
nothing useful to add.. but i once was thinking about how to prevent someone taking a picture of the screen be it picture, text, drawing or video.. (this was before real modern technology got so good at recording good quality video) that a program should be made to pull the information apart into tiny fragments and then randomly blink each of the partitions quickly.. (random separate pixels basically) the person looking at it would see it fine (the rate how fast our eyes and brain decifers what it sees, is pretty set) but if one would take a "print screen" or take picture of it result would be just random pixels, not the whole image.