Hypothetical adventure scenario light?!

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
What light would be best light for a hypothetical adventure scenario?
I recently re- watched National Treasure 2 and it hit me that I don't have a light to bring on such adventures, like when they went in the cave (not that I think I will find myself in a situation like that, but IF, then I will be left in the dark :D). Looks like they were using SF M6? They are nice, but I don't think they have enough runtime to manage an adventure :)

So I have been looking at Olight SR52, Thrunite TN models, Nitecore TM models etc. They all have alot of output, but differ in throw and flood, and different modes runtime etc. There's just to many out there!
Christo_pull_hair.gif
And I don't want to buy a bunch of them just to try them out, especially since I don't often if ever find myself in a situation that requires that kind of light. It just pleases me to know I have one if I ever were to need it :p

What would be most beneficial, throw over flood? In a field I would prefer throw. I think it's disturbing to get everything else lit up when looking at the bushes a couple of hundred yards away. But perhaps a flood light would be better in a cave? I guess the same could apply there, If I wanted to see whats at the other end of a tunnel, I wouldn't want or need everything else lit up and disturb my focus. SFs optics are nice, but I feel they might be to focused?

Minimum output should least be 600 lumen or more, for minimum of 6 hours or more!
Battery choice could be 3-4 18650, they are easy to get hold of, and not super pricey.
size around SF M6, I really like that form factor.
Be able to charge the light without having to take the batteries out.
Waterproof and shock proof are a given.

So the biggest questions for me are what kind of throw vs flood would be best, and what lumen output and for how long. The review videos of the lights I have been looking at does not give a good enough picture of what the lights can do in different scenarios.

What's your experiences of similar use? Videos and comparing pictures, "adventurous" pics are a plus! ;)
buttrock.gif

CUL8R

Enlightened
I think your premise is wrong. Don't take a big honking light with 3 or 4 batteries just to get long battery life. Take a single 18650 battery light and have several backup batteries if needed. There are lots of good general purpose single 18650 lights out there with 1000 or slightly more out the front lumens. In addition it should have 4 or more levels so you can conserve your remaining power by only using the lumens you need. Moonlight should be considered an absolute necessity! A small backup light should also be considered a necessity. Also consider a headlamp as a primary or backup light - you can't go wrong with your hands free. If you are talking preparing for a really long time, a solar panel (fold up or roll up) and a small DC charger should be added to your adventure list. Obviously we could talk about and expand on all these suggestions at great length, but that's up to you. Good luck!

Oh yeah, you mentioned caves, and as a long time caver I need to tell you to stay out of caves unless you know what you're doing or are with someone who is an experienced caver. If you do go, bring 3 sources of light. A long burning candle is a good emergency source (and used with a large plastic trash bag can prevent hypothermia). Always tell someone where you are going, when you should be back, and who to call if you don't come back. (Cave rescue org, etc). I recommend finding out about a local cave club (Grotto) in your area. Or contact the National Speleological Society (NSS).

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Don't worry! I'm not about to find any caves just so I can play around with lights pretending I'm on an adventure! ;)

It's all very hypothetical... :)

I have thought about taking a one cell light, and carry a couple of extras. I want to avoid taking the light apart just to get more power. The light must have a charging port just for that reason.
And about the form factor, I kinda want the M6 form factor, don't mind the size. It's a backpack light anyhow.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
600 lm is good for biking.
For caving - with runtime "problem" - much less is quite good ... for more runtime

+ an additonal handheld with more ooomp - for illuminating bigger "rooms"

(which does 2nd as a spare)
((+ all the other spare lights + batteries))
;)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't really matter how many cells your light has, recharging them is not going to happen in minutes. What are you going to be using for a light for the time it takes to recharge your cells in situ? Admittedly my i4 Intellicharger does not have the highest available charge rate, but it does take eight hours to recharge four 2300 mAh 18650s. Even if it charged at double that rate, which I think is getting close to the limit, it would still take four hours. You can extrapolate that to see that it would take one or two hours to recharge a single 18650.

If you are planning to recharge in the light, then you are planning to take along a power bank of some sort. Why not add a small one ortwo cell charger like the UM10/UM20 USB chargers? A minute or two to swap to fresh cells, and you can start recharging your exhausted one(s) while you continue on with your adventure.

As for lights, I personally would go for the TM06. Small, compact, very powerful but with some nice mode spacing down to 3 lumens (for a run time of 433 hours!). Remember, it is DARK inside a cave, where even a one lumen light is useful. I would think 50 lumens would be enough for situational awareness, with another 3K lumens in reserve. As a backup light I would think something like the P10 or P16 would be adequate. A couple of Tubes for real emergencies, a power bank & charger and we're ready to go.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Remember, it is DARK inside a cave, where even a one lumen light is useful. I would think 50 lumens would be enough for situational awareness, with another 3K lumens in reserve. As a backup light I would think something like the P10 or P16 would be adequate. A couple of Tubes for real emergencies, a power bank & charger and we're ready to go.

I was going to say, 1000 lumens would be more than enough, especially in dark caves where 100 lumens could even be too bright...

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Why settle for a hypothetical adventure when real ones aren't all that difficult to have? Ok here is one from a few years back.

The setup.

Been walking all day with a snow storm nipping at my backside. I really want to get to the next lean-to area before dark which isn't going to happen.

Visibility has dropped too low to see the next marker. My foot prints are being covered up as well. Better backtrack ASAP then fan out in several directions not leaving sight of the last known good point of reference. That's if I can find it. 105 lumens of cool white XP-E R2 light.

Ok that's an improvement but the darn snow is still falling.

an hour later this marker says take a left but that's mostly ledge. Really? It's going to be slippery.

Made it..... Got some good sleep. Nice morning! :)

3, 48 and 105 lumen modes, 1xAA battery. Why? Becasue if I carried this:

Minimum output should least be 600 lumen or more, for minimum of 6 hours or more!
Battery choice could be 3-4 18650, they are easy to get hold of, and not super pricey.

I wouldn't be room for the adventure, hypothetical or real. :grin2: In any case if yea'll want adventure get out there and do it.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
The point of having more cells and different modes, like 600 lumen for say 6-7 hours are so you don't have to recharge it in field. A one cell light would probably need a new battery if I would use it in the higher outputs. I know I probably won't need as much output in a cave, but I want to really light things up! It doesn't "look" cool otherwise ;)

And the sole purpose of the light isn't to be a "cave light". It's an "adventure" light! There are other movies where they use a SF M6 and other lights in that format. Abandoned ships, scary movies, out in the woods etc. A cave might not be the best representation of the many "adventure" scenarios I have "intended" the light for. (All very theoretical) although you never know...:D

And of course I'm gonna carry backup lights! One is none two is almost one...:p

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
And for my "real" camping/hiking/random forest walk "adventures", I bring a SF EB2 Backup, just as a backup, my main light is a headlamp, rather cheap Silva headlamp. Enough light to navigate around camp and finding everything you pull out of your backpack. The EB2 are also for checking for rattles in the bushes! :D I have the dual stage switch, so I can get the high output instantly, I bought it just for this purpose, thought it would be good to have max output without fiddling with the light if there are like a moose sneaking up on you :D . Since it's a handheld and only uses primaries, I just carry it as a backup light that's always in my cargo pocket.

The "adventure" light is a light I would throw in my backpack (like daypack) If I knew I where about to go into some dark place, and might need the light to be very bright for an extended period, say 5-6 hours. I know it's not a likely scenario to be in. But that's not the point at all! I just like to imagine being in scenarios like that, and knowing I have that kind of light for real. It might sound very wacky I know...:D

chuckhov

Enlightened
"The EB2 are also for checking for rattles in the bushes!"

Some places I have been, you really don't want to know what that sound was...

"It might sound very wacky I know..."

Wacky? - No, more like Fiction.

Are you sure you want to be doing such things?

It would be safer for you to just stick to TV and the Movies...:)

Thanks!
-Chuck

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry a 4x18650 light when I go backpacking haha. I don't mind the weight. That's my splurge item. It's awesome to completely obliterate the darkness once in a while. When I've gone in the winter and the ice cracks in a nearby river it can be pretty terrifying, so I think that having a light like that calms down my companions (and me if I'm being completely honest haha). Maybe I'm just a scaredy-cat. :)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for an adventure light, you need an old incandescent 2xD flashlight. It has to be prone to flickering, needing frequent hits to stop the flickering, and it has to die completely at the most inopportune times.

Oh, also a horrible beam with a big donut-hole, and not very bright. Things you need to illuminate have to be just out of reach of the flashlight's beam.