I am 122 lbs over weight?

drizzle

Enlightened
Well put JC. That should be a wake up call to all of us. My mother has two artificial knees after being very overweight from about 40 on. I think about that from time to time.

CLHC

Flashaholic
jclarksnakes said:
Most of our health problems are self induced. If everyone would maintain a healthy weight through a reasonable balance of diet and exercise and not smoke and not use drugs and drink only in moderation and not drive while intoxicated and wear seatbelts the rate of hospital admissions would plummet.

Indeed! And what Drizzle said. . .

Thertel

Newly Enlightened
Wow seems like everyone is going through the same thing as me this week. I got out of the shower on saturday night and looked at the mirror and was disgusted at what I saw... I'm 5'11" and was 200 pounds, now I'm 265, and its all happened since I took my new job, with long hours and poor eating habits. I've started working out again, and eating less and eating much healthier meals. I'm down like a pound and a half this week. so I reckon that leaves 63.5 to go.

Here's to being healthy.

thertel

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
All the heavy muscle is under my lightweight fatty insulation :laughing:

I should start exercising, but my luck.. id get hit by a buss or something, and then itd all be a waste.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an extra 45 lbs that I'm carrying around. I'm 6'1" and currently weigh 245 lbs. I''ve got a rather large frame though, so my ideal weight would be around 200 lbs. I've got a 40" waist and 45" chest. I've been working at UPS the last five years tossing heavy boxes around for 4-5 hours a night, so that is about the only thing keeping me from gaining even more. I can basically eat whatever I want, and as much as I want of it, and I don't go over 245 lbs. 4-5 hours of exercise a day helps I guess.

Due to the nature of my job though, I never get enough sleep, after I get off work, I get maybe 4 hours of sleep before I have to get up and watch my kids all day. If I'm lucky, I might get another 2-3 hours of sleep when my wife gets home. The lack of sleep affects my willpower and self-control when it comes to eating.The times when I have been able to control my eating and eat a normal amount of calories, I've been able to lose weight at a moderate pace, usually around 5 lbs a month, due to my daily "exercise routine" at work. Two years ago I went on a crash diet and lost 30 lbs in 2-3 months, but gained it all back over the following 6-8 months.

If I can ever get back to a normal sleep routine of 7-8 hours a day (at the same time), I'll probably be able to drop most of my excess weight, but that won't happen until both of my kids start school (3 1/2 more years), or we pay the big $$$ for a babysitter to watch the kids every morning so I can sleep after I get home from work. I'm beginning to think that paying a babysitter would be worth the money if it would help me lose some of this weight.

-Keith

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadget_lover said:
I CAN tell you that the extra 100 pounds are probably making your knee problems worse. Much worse.Daniel

If I could just upstrap or cut the weight off I would. I do exercise and diet. It seems exercising is causing me to gain weight. If my knee didnt kill me while on the elliptical, I would ride it more.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm most certainly not a heavy guy. I'm 6' even and weigh "around" 160 most of the time. Still have bad back and ankle problems, but I think I was born with that. Need to spend more time working out to be honest.

I have a Tanita scale. It's a great scale for weighing, but the BMI thing is sort of a joke. Depending on how dry you are, or what you've been doing, etc it goes all over the map. Same thing as the Scientology "E-Meter" scam.

ledlurker

Enlightened
currently 38years old 6'5" 243 pounds and the BMI says I am obese. Even when I swam, boxed and did body building I weighed 207 and was still technically overweight with a size 58" chest. I have taken up brisk walking for a minimum of 30 minutes a day and sometimes for up to a hour. Reading has taught me that in order to get down to 200 pounds I will have to do at least 1 hour and 30 minutes every single day. Currently with 2 small kids around the house the best I can do is 1 hour. Jogging was the best but my arches collapsed after 6 months of that.

The scary thing about weight gain is that it takes very little over eating to do it. A person only needs to eat on average 50 extra calories a day to gain a pound a year. 50 calories is only one extra bite of food spread among your 3 daily meals. I know people that eat the right types of food and exercise well and still wonder why they are 30 pounds overweight 30 years our of highschool.

My grandmother was right, "always leave the table a little hungry"

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am 40 an 6' tall 162 pounds...
I ride my recumbent bike (the two-wheeled type that goes down the street, not the gym stationary) Ride anywere from 20 to 55 miles a week depending on weather. Yes, I go to the gym to keep the muscle strength up to support my knees and back.
When I was 18, I weighed 126 pounds, 19, 148 pounds, 20 153 pounds and it stabilized there for a few years. Hit 25 and my weight varied between 155 and 165 pounds. I was 162 when I got married so 14 years later still stable.
One year I worked out 3 days a week for an hour a day to build muscle mass in an attempt to bulk up. After the year, I was stronger, more cut but my body weight was within 2 pounds of my starting weight. My muscles will not increase in size much and the workout is limited by wrist/elbow joint pain.
One thing you can do is get your TSH levels tested. As one gets older, their thyroid puts out less hormones and the matabolism slows down naturally. While you are there, get a few other things tested while you are at it.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 55 years old, 225 lbs and 6' 1".

I just lost 30 lbs over the last 5 months.

For the moment, I'm shooting for 215 lbs and I will re-evaluate my target weight when I get there. I used to play raquetball pretty regularly until I started to mess up my knee. I know now that the extra weight was the root of that problem. Since I am lighter, I have that "spring in my step" that I missed for so many years and I realize the extra weight was making me feel "old before my time".

I used to think I could eat whatever I wanted and my weight wouldn't go up. Well, that was at 210 then 211 then 212 then 213 then... You get the idea. It took a long time for me to put the weight on (years). I'm sort of stuck now at the 225 weight but when the nice weather returns, I'll go back to my 1.5 mile daily walks (with steep hills) and hopefully continue on down.

Our whole family (me, wife, son, daughter) are all on weight watchers and it has really helped doing it together.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
BMI is at best a guide. My BMI lately comes in at the high 20s. Admittedly, I've gained ~25 to 30 pounds since high school. I'm 5'9" and used to be 160 to 165 lbs with a 33" waist. Now I'm about 190 to 195 with a 36" waist, which tells me a lot of the gain is increased muscle mass. Still, I have enough around my midsection that I'm attempting to lose weight. I know exactly what my problem is-I snack too much and to a lesser extent don't exercise enough. I used to ride 3500 miles a year. Last few years I only did about 1000. I usually do walk a few miles a day running errands but that doesn't seem to be enough. Odd thing is I never had a weight problem until I got a job which forced me to sit all day. Ever since its been up and down, mostly up. :green:

Losing weight seems to be easier if you're grossly overweight. It's losing those last 25 or 30 pounds which seems to be the toughest.

drizzle

Enlightened
ABTOMAT said:
I have a Tanita scale. It's a great scale for weighing, but the BMI thing is sort of a joke. Depending on how dry you are, or what you've been doing, etc it goes all over the map. Same thing as the Scientology "E-Meter" scam.
I wouldn't put it in the scam category at all. Yes, it does vary from day to day but it actually gives you good information. Just keep in mind that it's measuring the percentage of water in your body which is usually a good indicator of the percentage of fat, but not always.

For example on a day after a lot of physical exertion where I'm likely to be dehydrated my weight goes down as my indicated body fat percentage goes up. You can use the short term variation in the numbers to tell you what's going on in your body. Of course, actual body fat changes very slowly so I look for trends over time.

Having said all that, it's still more of a novelty to me than anything really scientific. I'm much more interested in my weight and know that as that goes down, so will my body fat percentage. This would not be the case if I was seriously adding a lot of muscle but those days are long behind me. :)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since we're all weighing in I'll add to the pot (puns intended).

Height: 194 centimeters

Weight: 18 stones or 1/8 of a U.S. ton, of which 30 lbs are configured in a forward facing auxiliary fuel tank. :whistle:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobb-

Try to keep things in perspective. I've been reading your threads. I know that you've been working at this stuff for a while. Try not to forget that however your fitness is quantified, you are better off because of your physical program than you would be without it... Try to focus on that. It's very difficult sometimes for doctors to read numbers off of tables and then just tell us what they think we need to know. Nothing is that simple.

Even though your health history is completely different than mine I see similarities in our physical programs and in what we want to get out of them. It's really important to try to keep looking at the big picture -- your own big picture. It sounds like your own program is far more motivated and more directed than that of most in your situation. Always take that into account when you evaluate what your doctor says. He may be very use to talking to unmotivated people. It may color his advice to you.

People in your situation ultimately have to be their own expert. (Me too) Just do the best you can, weigh the advice you get and keep plugging along. The worst thing (IMO) that could happen is for you to be thrown off your program by some doctor's comment that is really geared toward a whole group of people who don't try as hard as you do. I hope that makes sense to you.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Sub_Umbra. That seems to be my heart docs prespective and parents. My family/primarly doc has been the worse and least helpful the past few years with my condition and dealing with it. Yes, I know i should get another doctor, but not all are accepting new patients or certain insurance plans like what my dad has. I had a women doctor I liked a few years ago, but she did not speak English too well and it was rather a coin toss to have a doc that is willing to work with me I cant understand and just nodd my head or one i can, but just critizes me with charts and figures. I think he was just scared of me as my arms are bigger than his neck.

It seems with the weight lifting, hunger has replaced pain and I need extra food. Yeah, I dont eat right, no one does really. I do the best i can with the avaliable resources and at that, its just two meals a day, 3 snacks and 2 protein shakes and a gallon and half of fluids.

Before anyone else uses my knee pain against me and my weight, my doc did say that was common for folks who ride bikes. Ive riden quite a few stationary bikes, broke two of them and had a few 10 speeds early on in like. Soon as i have a few hundred spare 1 dollar bills I plan on getting another traditional cross trainer or recumberment bike. Riding that 45 minutes 3 times a day is where the weight lost and maintenance comes from.