I am in Phase 3 of My Life as a Flashaholic

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am tired of cool white LEDs. Too white.
I don't like the 'dirty brown' of Cree neutral whites. 5A/5B. Even gave my Dereelight away.
Just pre-ordered a couple of 7A warm whites.
First purchase in almost a year.

Illum

Flashaholic
I am tired of cool white LEDs. Too white.
I don't like the 'dirty brown' of Cree neutral whites. 5A/5B. Even gave my Dereelight away.
Just pre-ordered a couple of 7A warm whites.
First purchase in almost a year.

cool white is a no go...its just not natural whatsoever...
neutral white is "okay," 5A is "close"
7A warm white IMO is too warm, going off on the other deep end that doesn't resemble [a properly driven] tungsten lamp whatsoever. Perhaps its just my perception:ohgeez:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo is the final phase. :thumbsup:

lunasoup_hillbilly_800.jpg
True THAT my friend!!! :twothumbs :twothumbs

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phase 4 is buying custom lights.
Phase 5 is modding expensive lights with new l.e.d.s that just came out that day to make a light similar to what the custom light makers will come out with in less than a month.
Phase 6 is when you either go broke or come to your senses, sell or give away much of your collection, and settle for occasionally upgrading your Surefire lights.

Buckeye

Enlightened
I'm at Phase 2.8. I have enough flashlights. (Right, you believe that don't you?) I can finally reject the thought of buying a flashlight if it means buying yet another different kind of battery. I can finally part with some of my flashlights as gifts to other people and I don't regret it later. ( I just gave one of my sons my Fenix L2D, one of the first batch sold by 4Sevens.) Drooling over a Gatlight or McGizmo light does not require as big of a bib. I am also thinking of taking some flashlights out of my briefcase because it is too heavy. (I may have to give back my Flashaholic card for that statement.) :naughty:

jcw122

Enlightened
First stage for me was doing research for a MONTH, last summer, and figuring out the Quark AA^2 was right for me. UI is simple, light is plentiful, tint is right, clip, solid build, huge warranty.

I'm a bang for your buck kinda guy, so it was kinda instinctual to purchase something I liked off the bat, even if it cost me more than say an iTP which I was also considering. I'll probably expand my collection, but only for each "category" of lights, ex: compact (AAA/keychain), EDC, large handheld, and spotlight.

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been two years since adding to my heap. Does that indicate I've been phased out?

The recent loss of my only AA/Luxeon, the original Fenix L1P, has me interested in its replacement, but I want a small one no longer than the 3.5" of my first Fenix.

For those interested, the L1P went out in grand fashion, providing an underwater light show until it died. I went out to the end of the pier which is about 1/3 mile out into Lake Michigan. The waves were high and the moon was rising. After awhile I decided to put the L1P back into my pocket and dropped it about four feet from the pier's end. It rolled right to the edge and I was an inch away before it went over the side. The light landed between some large rocks and turned on. The heavy wave action provided an interesting "light show" as the L1P laid several feet under water, between the rocks. I left after an hour knowing the freshly charged HiMH cell had another 30 or more minutes left.

kayakjax

Newly Enlightened
Until this year, the most I'd ever spent on a light was about $15.

I've gone through the "50 dollars for a flashlight! That's crazy!" stage on to the ''Wow! Only $150 for that light?" with head spinning speed.

I still love all my Solarforces and Quarks, but now I'm Lego-ing custom and various factory parts to get something close to what I want.

I'm not at the point yet where I want to sell my rapidly growing collection, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a McGizmo yet.

They're so beautiful that I think there may be no turning back, and I'm still having a ball learning about and getting new stuff.

At this point in my young flashaholic career, I'm addicted and still love it with a giddy passion.

I guess that's Phase 2.something.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm in Phase 2.5 or something like that: lots of lights, still hear the siren song when the new/hot comes along, but I have come to realize that a lot of my "outdated" lights work really, really well and that I really like using them.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Step 4:
Realized you didn't need those other flashlights, since you have NOW discovered McGizmo's!
+1

Get a McGizmo - it'll be the last flashlight you'll ever buy.
You mean it'll be the last "brand" of flashlight you'll ever buy. :D I've been eyeing the non-PD Haiku for a while, want to try that new fangled XP-G thingamajig. And I think a Spy007 is the final stage of Stage 4. Not sure what Stage 5 is yet because I haven't got there yet.