I got a different color light when I sent in my inova for repair

victorsamuel

Newly Enlightened
i bought a black inova x5 for a friend at xmas because the last x5 i bought (for another friend) had the most beautiful pure white hotspot and a nice warm yellow/white flood around it.

the black one i bought in december had a cold blue, ringy beam full of artifacts (almost as ringy as my old cobalt blue version, i bought the white because i thought it didn't suffer from the same rings as the blue and green versions). i really didn't want to give it to him

i think it may have been an older model even though the body shapes were identical.

i share your disappointment, i'd send it back for another lucky dip

Last edited:

laorulez

Newly Enlightened
Inova lights can't actually be repaired due to the press fit design...what inova does is simply swap you a new light, where the luxeon lottery concept applies everywhere you step.

The original reason why I sent it in was because the light was very dim a few times when it is supposed to be consistently bright throughout the battery life. If all they switched was the light, does that mean they did not fix the underlying problem of the flashlight?

I'm still sort of confused by the previous posts. Some say Inova has switched to the colored light while others say there are some variations. I am trying to figure out if they will still put the white light into my flashlight?

Also, if all they did was switch the light, does that mean I don't have the newer type T2 that has higher light output?

BTW I bought my T2 around when it first came out. The reason why I bought it was because I liked the fact that the light would be consistently bright.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the spectra posted at ledmuseum (here's one for example, find 'inova' on this page -- not the light you have, but start there and look for others)

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/specx05.htm

It's a reminder that LEDs don't have "a" color -- they have an emitter and a phosphor (or more than one phosphor) and the result is a spike (likely bluish) and a broader span of color that's a bit warmer to much warmer.

Poke around. This is different from "color temperature" -- that's what your eyes see, the sum of all the different colors that make up the spectrum of the light source.

Look for comparison at the various compact fluorescents, which also have emission lines in various locations.

I bet you can find someone who'll trade you an older "white" inova light for your newer LED light if you really don't like it.

But as others say -- really, go out and walk in the dark with it. You'll find it's a lot easier to tell what's around you with the newer LEDs. They put out a wider range of colors in the spectrum so you get back more colors from things the light shines on. The very blue-white lights just make everything look blue-white or black.

Latest posts