I GOT ME A LATHE !!

Amonra

Enlightened
Hi guys, i would like to thank those who pointed out a few resellers of mini lathes in europe, however after a few calculations of the price for lathe, shipping etc.. i concluded that i would be better off trying to find one locally. After much running around and many shocks when i was told the prices ( 7x12 for 1300$ ), i finally found this : web page
well not quite, mine is yellow and came complete with the table/stand it cost me much more than i had budgeted but in Malta 1200$ for a 550mm lathe it's a steal.

Does anyone have one like is ? Any mods that can be done to improve it ?
any comments would be appreciated

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Wow, 21" between centres! I'm sure that you will be happy with it. The price before shipping is pretty good for what you are getting. A 9x19 lathe from my local supplier runs for about $1200CAD without the extras.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please, post what you think of the machine. I was looking at that machine but went with the Homier instead, due to it's simplicity and ease of use, but have been considering a new machine lately.

If you can, post some pics that are better than those posted on the website.

Amonra

Enlightened
I did non have to pay for shipping or transportation since i just picked it up myself and a friend of mine helped me too.
I dont know how to post pics on the thread so if you could tell me how i would be happy to post some.

Im no expert, i have never used a lathe before in my life so i cannot tell between a good or a very good lathe, i can tell if something is built badly though and so far this lathe seems like a good one. It functions well and is accurate. the changing of gears for threading is a bit of a hassle but i guess all lathes are like that anyway.
It could use a trip switch for when it is on automatic so that it stops automatically when it reaches the end of the stock. I guess ill fit that on it myself.

I do have a few questions to ask you regarding tapping. do u do it on the lathe or manually ? If with the lathe how ? ( i didnt try it yet since i am afraid that it's too fast to stop the lathe accuratly )
Is there a way to do it with a cutting tool rather than with a tap set ?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually tap internal threads with a tap and cut external threads with the lathe.

I do use the tap with the lathe in that I use the lathe to center the work and a dead center in the tailstock to center the tap. I turn the chuck by hand and/or the tap with a wrench tightening the tailstock every half turn or so to keep the tap going in straight.

You problem of cutting threads on the lathe is common to larger lathes. On a smaller lathe, like a mini lathe, the speed is infinitely adjustable, so you can slow it down as necessary. My Homier can be slowed down to about 60 RPM while still retaining sufficient torque to cut the threads.

Maybe one of the guys that usually work on a larger lathe can chime in and offer some words of wisdom.

Amonra

Enlightened
Well i guess i just have to be lightning fast to stop the lathe at the right spot for the outer threading.
i tapped the internal thread by keeping the item in the lathe chuck, insereted the tap by hand and holding it firm with a wrench i turned the lathe chuck using the chuck key as a lever.
worked fine and wasnt too hard.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
When threading in the lathe, go as slow as possible and try to design the part so it has a small area to run out the tool.
This area must be a few thou smaller in diameter that the bottom of the v you are turning. The groove for the 'O' ring, as an example, makes a perfect run out area for the toolbit.

You can do the same thing on internal threading, but it is allot more difficult to see what is going on and one had best use the dials.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Anglepoise said regarding speed.

For threads I use the single point technique instead of the dial, it works very well for me.

in brief:

you engage the compound and never disengage it until the thread is done, if you want to go forward or reverse you simple do it without disengaging the nut, so the tool is always aligned.

Made many internal threads on the body of the NEOCA BL fairly easy.

Pablo

Wylie

Enlightened
Me again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif and I might just get me a lathe too. I like what I see here because it will allow for longer stock then the 7X10 and 7X12s will allow. Some of the fishing rod handles and parts I will be making need this extra length. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif on this find.

I have been doing a little studying and I am only left with questions as I am clueless to machining but ready to jump in with the problems I have been having finding folks to do it for me without loosing limbs.

Would anyone be able to tell me if this machine is set up for indexed tools?

I believe I will be best set up with what may be call fast change tools. Will this lathe do that?

A couple of you know what at least two of the parts I will be building look like and if you could help out here it would really help me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The reason I am asking these qestions here is I do not want to sound as ignorant as I really am when conversing with a sales person.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Yeah thats it and I'm sticking to it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

Any help that may be offered would be great.

Keep it real, bright,
Wylie

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Wylie said:
Would anyone be able to tell me if this machine is set up for indexed tools?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indexable tooling is bought separately (consider it another type of toolbit), they are generally mounted in the toolpost the same way a ground or brazed toolbit is mounted.

[ QUOTE ]

I believe I will be best set up with what may be call fast change tools. Will this lathe do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

The machine discussed in this thread comes with a turret toolpost, while not as efficient as a piston-style QCTP (quick-change tool post), it is usable. Shimming is the biggest annoyance with a turret toolpost. The QCTP is handy, but definitely not necessary to start machining.

I'd be looking at a larger lathe myself if I had the space. There's a lot of very useful info in the MMM forum about selecting and equipping a lathe, it would be worth your while to give the threads a read before going to the shop and talking to the salesperson.

Good luck!

Wylie

Enlightened
Thanks Wasabe64,
I'll have to do some more shopping around before the bucks fly.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

OddOne

Enlightened
Looking to get a lathe myself. And I'm looking at Micromark's 7x14, as it is both bigger than 7x12s and uses imperial leadscrews instead of metric.

oO