I got my Olight T20 yesterday....

bluemoon

Newly Enlightened
....and here's what I think. I like it. I really like it. I wanted a tactical style led light with multilevels that had a good beam and I got it. I have the Olight T20 Military model with 5 modes. 7lm, 60lm, 220 lm, strobe and SOS. I work as a supervisor in a manufacturing plant on the night shift. We keep most of our inventory and stock outside over an area that covers about 4 city blocks with a minimal amount of lighting. A decent flashlight is pretty much required and I had a lot of opportunities to test this one out. First off the size is just right for belt carrying and not getting in the way. I much prefer a forward clickie and the last mode memory is a good thing. Changing modes only takes a quick twist of the head and with only 5 modes you can cycle through them pretty quick. But you are probably interested in the beam so here's my opinion. The 60lm setting is just right for general use but kick it up to 220lm and WOW!!! The half dimpled/smooth reflector is a good idea. It throws a bright spot with a good flood that has no rings. A very brilliant and intense white light that illuminates my 120 yard shooting target in my backyard pretty darn well considering it's size. This thing is crazy bright outside and I don't have any light pollution so it just seems that much more impressive. I really don't have much use for the strobe but I did bust into the office and flip the lights off while hitting strobe for a few seconds. My swing shift partner just sat at his computer with a dazed look on his face saying "What the @#$%...Holy *&^% that's bright! What in the $%^& is that $%^& thing! I really like this light. Battery runtime seems to be pretty good too. But I must admit that I have been using a tactical style light with the RCR123's and a mini xenon bulb. I usually got one or two days out of a battery charge. I can see that I will easily do better than that but I haven't used it long enough to evaluate battery usage yet.

Bottom line. I like this light. It is almost exactly what I was looking for and meets or exceeds my expectations. I really don't need the strobing feature or the SOS but it's really not in the way. I can't even believe that I used to think that a mini-maglite was bright.

Buy this light and you won't be sorry. I've never messed with a Fenix but I don't see how they could be any better. Honestly.

bluemoon

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely. On my way to town last night (I live on a uninhabited gravel road) I aimed the beam out the window at the road in front of my headlights and could very plainly see the beam of my light imposed over my high beams. It's way brighter than I thought possible. It will take a while for technology to pass this thing up in any real significant way.

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
I have the Tactical model that has 5 levels,no strobe,or s.o.S
The beam is incredible,the run time is great and for me it's the perfect size.
My only small complaint is the optional clip is weak and I lost the clip on the first day.
I mentioned this in the Olight Manf. thread and they responded by saying a new stronger clip was already in the pipeline.
My first real led lights were a Huntlight P4 that I loved followed by a Fenix P3D P4 that I was hoping would be a smaller version of the Huntlight but didnt have as nice a tint or output as the Huntlight.
The Olight has finally replaced my Huntlight as my edc.

bluemoon

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad you mentioned the clip. It is a POS. It takes almost nothing to make it pop off. I put a couple drops of superglue under it and it shows no sign of leaving. But it could be a lot better. I was dissapointed in it also. But that is the only weak spot I've found so far other than maybe it could use a little more aggressive finish in the grip area.

Yapo

Enlightened
I just ordered the new 2008 Olight T10...it throws abit less and isnt as bright as the T20 but its smaller and now rcr123 friendly unlike the older one...i cant wait to get it!!!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy this light and you won't be sorry. I've never messed with a Fenix but I don't see how they could be any better. Honestly.
You had me all the way until this line... :poof:

Is there a need to mention Fenix unless you've had experiences with one of their lights?

I have a Fenix and I am very curious about the Olights. But I wouldn't say one is better than the other unless I've had both.

Right now I'm very curious Olight, and looking for valid comparisons between Fenix and Olight. It seems to me that the UI on the Fenix is far better - clickie vs twisting the head is far easier to do one-handed and faster.

I'm curious about the UI on the Olight and whether I really would like the UI on it.

gunga

Flashaholic
Is there a need to mention Fenix unless you've had experiences with one of their lights?

I have a Fenix and I am very curious about the Olights. But I wouldn't say one is better than the other unless I've had both.
I'm curious about the UI on the Olight and whether I really would like the UI on it.

I have both Fenix and Olight (and have owned many of both).

I think they are both different and both fine. It's personal preference but I find both good in their own way. The new 2008 models are a nice improvment too since they work with 3.7V Li-ons!

You can't go wrong with either Olight or Fenix. Buy both and try em out!

:devil:

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I have both Fenix and Olight (and have owned many of both).

I think they are both different and both fine. It's personal preference but I find both good in their own way. The new 2008 models are a nice improvment too since they work with 3.7V Li-ons!

You can't go wrong with either Olight or Fenix. Buy both and try em out!

:devil:

I want to know how you find them different and what you like most about each. Since I don't own a Fenix but do own a couple Olights, I can't imagine what I'm missing out on? Thanks.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
An opinion on something one might not own or have experience with may be uninformed, but still valid. I own an Olight T20 Q5, and prefer it over the Fenix offerings. I've read the reviews, and have formed an opinion. I don't believe that I must own every light that I've decided not to buy in order to validate my preference for another. Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Latest posts