I hope my wife doesn't find out about this place....

LJUSMC

Newly Enlightened
I'm in enough trouble with my wife for buying and selling watches all the time.. and now this place? I'm toast!

I'm a police officer and for years I used a Streamlight SL-20 and a surefire 6P. That's it. Just a normal guy using normal lights. Then, a buddy of mine gifted me a Surefire L4. Holy crap I was impressed.

Then I bought another streamlight... and another surefire... and thought I was really something until a friend of mine showed me his Fenix LD10. I had to have one of those, so I bought me and my wife both one. Mine has been carried daily for 2 years, used and abused... hers, not so much.

I bought a Stainless Steel AAA Maratac light from CountyComm.. I dig it. Of course there are countless other lights lying around now, and my wife is starting to get wise. She's noticing that I haven't bought many watches lately, but that there are still packages coming in the mail... :green:

Just yesterday I got a Fenix TK11 in the mail; nice light! And tomorrow I'm expecting a Thrunite Catapult V2 from a forum member here. And then... and then..

I think I need therapy.

violatorjf

Newly Enlightened
We're in the same boat pal! Well, atleast with the wife and therapy parts...:laughing:

One things for sure; these forums are awesome. Lots of great people who share the same interest. (substitute obsession for interest when applicable) :whistle:

My wife doesn't always disapprove of my flashlight collecting...she kinda doesn't mind it when the power goes out...kinda...

naiter

Newly Enlightened
I'm in enough trouble with my wife for buying and selling watches all the time.. and now this place? I'm toast!

I'm a police officer and for years I used a Streamlight SL-20 and a surefire 6P. That's it. Just a normal guy using normal lights. Then, a buddy of mine gifted me a Surefire L4. Holy crap I was impressed.

Then I bought another streamlight... and another surefire... and thought I was really something until a friend of mine showed me his Fenix LD10. I had to have one of those, so I bought me and my wife both one. Mine has been carried daily for 2 years, used and abused... hers, not so much.

I bought a Stainless Steel AAA Maratac light from CountyComm.. I dig it. Of course there are countless other lights lying around now, and my wife is starting to get wise. She's noticing that I haven't bought many watches lately, but that there are still packages coming in the mail... :green:

Just yesterday I got a Fenix TK11 in the mail; nice light! And tomorrow I'm expecting a Thrunite Catapult V2 from a forum member here. And then... and then..

I think I need therapy.

You fit right in!!

My wife knows I'm up to something when I'm checking the Mail...

Saber in PA

Newly Enlightened
I get in trouble when my wife hears a YouTube review of a knife or flash light. Then I hear you don't need another dam flash light or knife

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm lucky - my wife lets me buy all sorts of lights (2 Maxabeams - woohoo)
I buy the occassional expensive item like torches, knives and car parts - and she buys lots of smaller less expensive stuff (like clothes, shoes, handbags etc)
we agree on stuff we need, and stuff we would like, and eventually get the stuff we would like, once all the stuff we need is aquired

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
Always note that in the grand scheme of things, watches and lights are relatively inexpensive....:poke:

...if you have a buddy into boats or airplanes, use them as an example. Airplanes and boats make every other hobby look reasonable!

mgscheue

Newly Enlightened
Fortunately for me, if they're black, cylindrical, and roughly the same size, my wife doesn't realize they aren't the same flashlight. She is, unfortunately, much better at distinguishing watches.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question I have, is when you are around many other police officers and you see what types and brands of lights they carry, what do you see the most, and do they have to buy them themselves, does the department pay for a certain light, so if you dont like that particular light you have to buy your own, or how does that work? Aside from members here, and military folks, you'd think that police would be about the only other people who are well aware of LED flashlights, or at least good quality ones.

Do most cops just buy whatever Surefire light they can find locally, or are they aware of the Fenix's and Jetbeams out there?
I dont know if you bought a ZL SC52 yet, but its a great little light too....

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fortunately for me, if they're black, cylindrical, and roughly the same size, my wife doesn't realize they aren't the same flashlight. She is, unfortunately, much better at distinguishing watches.

Sounds like you may have to be careful not to buy lots of different colored lights, or she may start to notice its not the same light! So you are kinda stuck with black for the most part. You could always buy lights that gradually become lighter in their shade of black or green-black or gray-black, then gradually take them out one at a time so that she doesnt notice an abrupt color change!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, maybe she'd understand. My last girlfriend wanted to organize my flashlight collection with me, and I bought her a Fenix E01 when I accidentally dropped her keychain light off a cliff.

lesliemorris85

Newly Enlightened
That is hilarious, I'm sure your wife is onto you though. I try to make sure my hubby is at work when I get my deliveries, it save me trying to explain why I need more than one torch.

Inline6Silvia

Newly Enlightened
I'm not married but I know that feeling. My ex didn't understand my gun, knife, car modding obsession. I'm sure if she was still here, this forum and the EDCforums would drive her nuts

markr6

Flashaholic
LOL! I was using my computer hooked up to the 40" tv last night so my wife easily spotted me. She said "the friendliest flashlight community??? you're so gay" I had a clever response but kept my mouth shut.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worked at a bar for 4 years. Whenever the phone rang, most of the regulars would yell "I'm not here!" It came to the point it was easier to ask who was. Yes, some of them drove home after 10 beers, but most of them couldn't even afford a car with all the beer they drank - and we're talking about construction workers and car mechanics. Maybe you guys could use that as an example of how flashlights keep you out of bars (in both sense).

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather have a new light than a case of beer.

And I'm sure most wives would agree. If the argument about the beer addicts doesn't come through, you could always add that the flashlight won't be flushed down the toilet after an hour.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
And I'm sure most wives would agree. If the argument about the beer addicts doesn't come through, you could always add that the flashlight won't be flushed down the toilet after an hour.

Good point! You never actually buy beer. You rent it.

druidmars

Enlightened
We're in the same boat pal! Well, atleast with the wife and therapy parts...:laughing:

One things for sure; these forums are awesome. Lots of great people who share the same interest. (substitute obsession for interest when applicable) :whistle:

My wife doesn't always disapprove of my flashlight collecting...she kinda doesn't mind it when the power goes out...kinda...

Same here plus she likes to say "now that you have a new flashlight, I can keep your old one"... I frown but end up saying yes... it's better the compromise than nothing and I still get to use them.

Latest posts