I Need a Head Lamp! Only the Best, Most rugged Will Do.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the Petzl Tikkina newest model 150 lumens, for about $20 you cant go wrong. The best $20 headlamp you can buy in my book.

If you want to go up financially then SF Minimus that just came out and was recommended is another candidate.

Last edited:

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I can't imagine a better headlamp for close work than a High CRI ZL. I have the H600fd MKiii Hcri and it'll run for over 30hrs on M1 (60 lumen) with a beautiful beam with a soft hotspot and a wide spill. I haven't tested for durability but seems as robust as any light with electric switches.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
As far as I know there is only one really high CRI (90+) head lamp offered:

Nitecore NU20 CRI

If you need long runtime: it can be charged by a portable USB power pack while you use the light.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations. All of the lights mentioned here were researched and considered before I made my final decision...and it was tough. However, I went with the Fenix HL25R. It had the right mix of very neutral flood and long-ish range spot. It uses any 18650 which means I can pop in a fresh one instead of waiting for it to recharge, it does have a recharging feature for when I'm not in a hurry. The battery pack is on the back which makes it a balanced light when on my head. I really like that the light comes on in high with the flood beam and the ability to ratchet the light to face downward is very useful. There's even a very low lumen red led that I would imagine would work for reading maps at night or hunting or some tactical stuff I don't know about. It can be made to flash so if you are out at night you can activate the red led to flash and perhaps be able to find the light easier if dropped.

I was actually doing some auto work near dusk and holding my Malkoff in my mouth when I remembered I had a headlamp now. It made a world of difference. The flood was the perfect color to allow my to read the tiny stampings on jet sizes.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
I just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations. All of the lights mentioned here were researched and considered before I made my final decision...and it was tough. However, I went with the Fenix HL25R. It had the right mix of very neutral flood and long-ish range spot. It uses any 18650 which means I can pop in a fresh one instead of waiting for it to recharge, it does have a recharging feature for when I'm not in a hurry. The battery pack is on the back which makes it a balanced light when on my head. I really like that the light comes on in high with the flood beam and the ability to ratchet the light to face downward is very useful. There's even a very low lumen red led that I would imagine would work for reading maps at night or hunting or some tactical stuff I don't know about. It can be made to flash so if you are out at night you can activate the red led to flash and perhaps be able to find the light easier if dropped.

I was actually doing some auto work near dusk and holding my Malkoff in my mouth when I remembered I had a headlamp now. It made a world of difference. The flood was the perfect color to allow my to read the tiny stampings on jet sizes.

colight

Enlightened
It appears ppears that the HL60R has been discontinued and replaced with the HL55 or HP25R.

redvalkyrie, I wouldn't know who gave you that info, but it is not at all true. Fenix still sells the HL60R. In fact, they have added another color option to the HL60R, desert yellow, which can be seen in their 2017 product catalog. They have also added a completely new headlamp, the HL26R, to their range. All of these can be seen in the new catalog.

Sorry, I've been away for a few days, and only now got to catching up on the posts. I see you've already been answered.....

Last edited:

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
redvalkyrie, I wouldn't know who gave you that info, but it is not at all true. Fenix still sells the HL60R. In fact, they have added another color option to the HL60R, desert yellow, which can be seen in their 2017 product catalog. They have also added a completely new headlamp, the HL26R, to their range. All of these can be seen in the new catalog.

Sorry, I've been away for a few days, and only now got to catching up on the posts. I see you've already been answered.....

It was my fault--I simply missed it when looking through the Fenix-Store's website.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I received my HL60R in desert yellow last week. Very nice piece. I was impressed. I've had many surefire headlamps and the HL60R is right there if not better in quality. Beings the HL60R is submersible even with the charging port off kills the maximus right off the bat. It's lighter and more comfortable. The tint is great. Outputs are perfect. After seeing it tore down I can see this lasting for a very long time.