I need Solarforce L2P advice on what LED to buy.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if I could find a drop-in that was both 8.4V and two-mode, I would consider it, but I don't ever want a single mode LED.

It CAN be done, Mountain Electronics sells a 3 - 8.4 volt driver with three levels, 5%, 50% and 100% (currently on back order, though).

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_115&product_id=357

I checked Nailbender's thread, and he only lists single mode for two-cell voltages, but maybe Vinh would assemble one for you. Kinda figures since they do custom builds, Mountain Electronics would, since they sell the driver. Takes an extra month to get, though.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=86&product_id=146

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

holygeez03

Enlightened
This thread is re-reminding me why I haven't gotten very into P60 stuff...

It's really that rare to have a P60 that is fully regulated with 1x18650?

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
I'm willing to try a single LED, instead of triple, but it still needs to be two-mode and high CRI (at least 90) If the output is high enough I can still get a floody beam with an orange peel and a diffuser.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is re-reminding me why I haven't gotten very into P60 stuff...

It's really that rare to have a P60 that is fully regulated with 1x18650?

No, you just have to settle for an emitter with a low forwarding voltage and/or lower output. If it's low enough, a typical decent buck driver or even a linear driver can provide flat regulation for much of the discharge of the cell. For example the LL, and LLL Malkoff dropins.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
But that driver is 20.5mm, though. It won't fit in a P60 pill, and I think OP is looking for a P60 dropin.
And I think OP is also looking for triples, and the custom build option restricts multiple emitters.

D'oh! Right you are, looked at everything else. But at least it proves that it is possible, not sure why it is so hard to find higher voltage drivers for multi-mode, though.

But one reason may be that the capabilities of a 1x18650 are so impressive now, the need for high voltage inputs is greatly reduced, both for high outputs (like on the old incandescents) and for run time, with 3400 - 3600 mAh cells. When we started with high power LED's, 18650's were like 1600 - 2000 mAh.

I know you already have the extender, and I don't know exactly what you are using it for, beyond photography, but the 2x18650 may be holding you back from what you want.

Wait, I knew I had one, a Dereelight 3SM. They call it a 2MT-M now, here:

http://www.dereelight.com/pills.php

They changed their site completely, but one thing is the same, I can't understand how to order the exact module I want! :crackup:

I think it's this one though. May or may not come screwed into the reflector, I am trying to figure out if that is what he means by "neck section with pill".

holygeez03

Enlightened
I'm not certain the Dereelights are direct-fit drop-ins for any P60 host? Especially with regard to mode switching via the twist "T" heads...

I'm pretty sure the XP-G2, 2MT-S pill is designed to reach max power with 1x18650... I have one on the way for a DBS-T head. It will also be neutral tint and de-domed according to Alan...

The XM-L2, 2MT-M pills are designed for 2x18650... I have two of them (one warm tint, one neutral) that I purchased way back with a CL1H-T light... but I no longer see an option for neutral or warm. I remember hearing that all/most of Dereelight's offerings are neutral now?

The neutral and warm XM-L2's that I own are pretty good tint-wise, but probably not as good as a triple nichia.

Again, I can't verify that those pills will work in a different host... and I have no idea what "neck section" refers to either... on the accessories page it looks like some sort of adapter?

http://www.dereelight.com/Accessories.php

Lastly, if you try to order, you will likely see a $50 shipping charge!!! This happened to me and I emailed Alan... apparently they are having website difficulities, but it was temporarily fixed and shipping was free... now I see it is back to $50.

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I bought a bunch of stuff from them back when the CL1H came out, it's always been tough to understand the modules on their site. I think the take away is that if interested, you should contact them with your precise need, and get them to confirm it if they have what you want, that it is compatible and how to specify it on your order. But high voltage multi-mode is a thing.

Good find, looks like that "neck section" is the body part between the bezel and battery tube.