I was about to buy (until I found this site)...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok to put this all in perspective people have hiked the entire length of the AT with a couple photon 2's or a single 9v battery attached to a Paklite. I think somebody did the entire PCT then the PCT on the same 9v battery.

A lot of respondents haven't actually read your requirements. A single CR123 battery could cost you $8 at the restock supply points, and as you said you won't be able to recharge.

If you aren't going to hike for a couple years you should put off the Headlamp purchase till the last minute. Technology is advancing very rapidly in LEDs. Not so much in tents, etc. However the EOS is a very fine light, and what I would recommend today.

I think maybe you are on the wrong forums, CPF will lead you down the (very brightly lit) path of light overkill, you should check out:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/index.php

hopkins

Enlightened
Wishing you a great hike k9dog!
Along with the headlamp you can consider 1 or 2 keychain lights
as backups attached to your packs main compartment and on a neck
lanyard (?)
Anyway, note that inexpensive gear can perform just fine with skillful use. And dim headlamp works fine for camp chores.

Tarptents allow you to cook and eat out of the rain without risking CO
poisoning as well as keep a look out for attractive female campers:p

Who wants to spend every night looking at the same tent wall anyway?
- sleep in a mosquitoe net hat with the headlamp ready.

Condensation inside tents! :mecry:- nuf said.

k9dog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks fella ;)

Without wishing to go off-topic, I've had a look at a few Tarptents (albeit a brief look), and they look like open-sided tents without a floor.

In conditions of driving rain, I wonder if they'd be as waterproof (and running ground water proof) as a proper tent...

What I have been advised to look for is a waterproof 2-man hammock. Mostly on grounds of reduced weight and the comfort of not sleeping on the ground. But I'm always open to learning about new stuff :)

hopkins

Enlightened
I also liked the looks of that hammock tent but I've never seen one in
use anywhere in the Sierra. Maybe too cold with all the wind blowing under
was reason?

Night hiking with the headlamp on; air is 99% humid and 98*F temp! until you see a nice place away from the muddy overused campsites infested with racoons and mice. A place with trees and a little stream, with stars overhead
Then the midnight thunder storm drenches everthing but you, in the hammock tent. Good luck!:twothumbs

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does the Zebralight keep getting mentioned? Great light, but purely flood. Not what I'd want for a night hike in unfamiliar terrain. Are we getting a little obsessed with the "light du jour" on this forum or am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time. :thinking:

By the way have you read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods"? It's a funny account of his attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail.