If Money Was Not A Concern . . . . . .

. . . . . what would you collect?

I always enjoy seeing what CPF members collect. Flashlights of course, but also knives, watches, spinning tops, RC vehicles and bicycles to name a few. :wow:

As a boy growing up in Okinawa (circa 1962, age 4 through 8) and having only ninja and samurai cartoons to watch, I became enamored with swords at an early age. When my family resided off-base in Naminoue, all of us little warriors, natives and military-brats alike, always "played" sword-fight. I've got the scars to prove it.

So, I'd love to collect authentic, Japanese swords. Perhaps even a Hattori Hanzō or twelve. :naughty:

I'm amazed at the amount of effort and how many men were needed to create a single sword.

This video is pretty short but gives an idea of the process.

This one is excellent, when you have the time.

If money wasn't a concern, what would you collect?

~ Chance

Antique farm tractors, maybe a couple of steam traction engines.

Yep! Fun stuff. i joined My Tractor Forum about a year ago when I needed eduction about a new mower purchase. There are a lot of beautiful old tractors being restored. There's a hobby that requires lots of time n money. I can only imagine the thrill when an old work-horse fires-up for the first time in years .... decades. That'd tend to choke a fella up a bit.

~ Chance

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Vintage motorbikes always have a story & passion to be told, even more so than cars.
..custom or totally unrestored

tumblr_ncb2szk87h1qht1q0o1_500.jpg

____________^ custom

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've pondered the question for like 20 minutes...

Can't think of a thing. Really.

Edit:
I thought of something...
Ticket stubs.
Ticket stubs to Formula 1 races I went to and motorcycle gran prix's... yup

That post by Orbital above caused me to think of that.

Last edited:

timbo114

Enlightened
I'd love to collect a group of pure stock classic cars ..

'64 '65 '66 '67 Pontiac GTOs
'64 Buick Riviera
'64 Impala
'64 Chevy II

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably collect all the muscle cars I used to own in high school and college; 63 Stingray split-window, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Z-28, 70 Nova SS 396/402. If only I could have afforded to keep them...

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing. The older I get, the less "stuff" I want. I would still keep to a simple life.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
old military jets!

When you consider that you could spend $1000 or so just on fuel for a modest flight, you can understand why it qualifies for a "if money was no concern" thread. Routine maintenance is probably at least as expensive as fuel, I suspect.

Since I used to work on A-4 Skyhawks, both the single seat and trainer versions, I would love to have the resources to hop in one and fly it whenever I wanted. I was fortunate to get a few rides in the back seat of our trainer Skyhawks, so I've got some experience with them. Learning to fly them safely would take quite a while and eat up a lot of money too.

There are a number of privately owned former military jets. There is a group called the Collings Foundation that flies a TA-4J Skyhawk, like what I flew in. I've seen it at the EAA Airventure at Oshkosh, Wisconsin....

4850726467_3ed0e8a616_z_d.jpg

They also have an F-4 Phantom that they fly and take to airshows! With two afterburning engines, you just know that the fuel and maintenance costs have got to be enormous!

The Collings Foundation has sold rides in the back seats of these aircraft. I think a quick flight in the smaller TA-4J was $1000 or a bit more. Probably a very good deal. The ride in the back of the Phantom was something like 3 or 4 times as expensive. Probably a fair price too. I'd recommend the ride in the back of the Skyhawk, if only because the view is so much better and because it is a much more agile aircraft. It can do two aileron rolls in one second, which is pretty cool to experience!

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guns,flashlights, knives, classic muscle cars, classic aircraft and nuclear submarines.....oh wait, I already do......sorry, must be the pain meds. Is this real or fantasy?

Capolini

Banned
I would continue to collect SERENITY, PEACE OF MIND AND GRATITUDE which at times can still be elusive.

Hobbies can be addictive and are only a TEMPORARY fix!

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Fossils, art and monkey bikes.
Then I would hire out the monkey bikes to allow people to tour my extensive collection of fossils and art.