If you were going to buy 25 co-workers a light, what would it be?

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Try the Pelican AAA Mitylite submersible...

Ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pelican-MityLite-2-AAA-Xenon-Flashlight-1900-NEW-Yellow_W0QQitemZ8824075372QQcategoryZ106988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've had one for about 13 years, still on the original lamp. They're waterproof, flameproof, lifetime warranty etc... On ebay for $14 + shipping.

Fits well in a shirt pocket with the clip !

Thy have other models too, have a look.

If I were buying my close friends a light, it would probably be an ARC AAA-P, as the batteries are easily fond. I would hate to inflict a Lithium burner on a friend ! 1 hour from a set of batteries is a little heavy for many people !

Last edited:

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say PT Attitudes. Cheap to feed, nearly indestructable, waterproof, non-conductive, put out a decent amount of light and run a long time.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd consider the PT Tec 20, I just bought one for $6 from a link in another post. You should be able to find most of the colors for under $12 if that one source runs out and you look around a bit. Decent beam off 2AA, and it takes a PR bulb, so if your co-workers wanted to upgrade it themselves you could point them to a PR SMJLed or if they want high power 2 14500s and a 5 cel mag bulb!

schiesz

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have listed a MiniMag would be a nice idea ($8 at Walmart). Sears is also selling their 3AAA Craftsman right now for $10, and that is a pretty nice light as well.
If you are willing to spend a little more you could buy them an Inova X1 for $20, or the Fenix clone (Ultrafire something) from Dae for around the same price.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I put my money where my mouth is an got an Duracell Voyager Torch and put an PR SMJLED in it.

I has a nice beam with a good hotspot, solid rubber flashlight.

I`ve seen them on ebay for $2.50

regards.

TinderBox (UK) said:
I suggest 2xAA "Duracell Voyager Torch" all rubber with PR SMJLED`s.

regards.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I second the choice of the 0.5W River Rock 2-AAA light as a great choice in the 25 for $300 range ($12 and under). I love my 2-AA, 1.5W version. :D

Although the point about the most useful flashlight being one you'll always carry and have available is a good one so one of the 1 AAA lights at Walmart makes a lot of sense.

I can't recommend a regular Mini-Mag anymore. Maybe 10+ years I would have. I have 3 of these. I'm giving one away and the other two have the Nite-Ize LED upgrade ... but for $12-13 you can do better.

--- Bror Jace

jarobi

Enlightened
I agree with the folks that recommend a 1xAAA light. The Photons are nice, but most people would probably throw them in a drawer when the batteries die. The 1XAAA lights LED_Experimenter is selling are really great for the price and for what they are. I used to love the Dorcy AAA from Mal-Wart, but I've been getting the occasional dud lately. The Nuwais are better quality, have a better beam, and just feel better in the hand to me. This light would fit unobtrusively in a pocket, purse, or locker.

Edit: The Nite Ize beam is just gross in my opinion.
Edit 2: Another bonus of the Nuwai 310H is the clip. It's nice to be able to clip a light to the bill of a ball cap.

Last edited:

Mr_Light

Enlightened

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Since noone has recommended this one yet, how about the Sam's Element 3aaa lights at Sam's Club? They are now selling for $24 for a 2 pack which puts you around your $12/each requirement. They use a 1w Luxeon which blows away the 2aaa River Rock lights. They have a light throw near as good as a Fenix L1P, and much more useful spill.

About the only drawback I've seen in these lights is they are tough on batteries - you'll only get about 90 mins of useful light out of three 850mah NiMh batteries.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Unless you know that the majority will appreciate the lights, I would keep the purchase to something basic and around $10.

Reason you ask? Earlier this evening, I gave a friend of mine a Civictor as a thankyou gift for organizing a camping trip for us. Now, this is not the most expensive light but it is a decent light with good output and about $30. He took one look at it, said "Thanks, that's great", promptly put it down and didn't bother to look at it again. His wife picked it up, turned it on and said, "Wow, I'll take it if he doesn't!". Then, she carefully picked up the light, placed it bezel up in the holster and then proceeded to press her finger directly on the lens as she tried to cram it into the holster. She continued this until she was satisfied that it was safely inside, for good measure, she pressed her thumb down one more time on the lens. Needless to say, I was a little shocked and dismayed... :wtf:

Lesson here? It's somewhat sad but the reality is that not all people are flashaholics and some people may not necessarily appreciate your thoughtful gift of a great light...

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
The 1AA 0.5 W clickie and twisty lights from Advancedmart for $12 or a little less - shipping might be free on a big order (clickie review) (twisty review)

I'll second that. I just got one of these and really like them And it's been tested - It's 'poking around the dark crevices of machines' and power outtages friendly. Plus you won't worry so much about scratching the finish or knocking it around a bit.

mac66

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the 14 led lights at Aimsurplus.com. I just bought ten of them for the guys at work and they are really bright. Real good deal for 10 or more.

http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Lights.html

Picture017.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Last edited:

amanichen

Enlightened
RAF_Groundcrew said:
Try the Pelican AAA Mitylite submersible...

Ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pelican-MityLite-2-AAA-Xenon-Flashlight-1900-NEW-Yellow_W0QQitemZ8824075372QQcategoryZ106988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've had one for about 13 years, still on the original lamp. They're waterproof, flameproof, lifetime warranty etc... On ebay for $14 + shipping.
I got one as a gift about 8 years ago. The bulbs are only good for ~5 hours of burntime, are expensive and difficult to find. The light isn't all that bright and I have to buff the copper contacts every couple of weeks because, as they tarnish, the output goes way down. There are LED lights which will cost less, be brighter, and more reliable.