Incan challenge week 2018

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had forgotten how ugly the beam from the Solitaire was. Oh well, I'll just use the NexTorch.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll admittedly miss the broad dark-killing beam of my triples for a week, the multiple levels of HDS goodness, and the laser like throw of a few Olsen black flat Vinh mods. That said, the P91 and M6 outdoors are stellar. It'll make me dig up an EO-E2R bulb for my E2e also. Runtime be damned! Gimme 100cri pocket flamethrowers! :grin2:

ven

Flashaholic
E2e tonight, phone does struggle to pick up the spill(one for the eyes only really)
zQx8udal.jpg

KG2OrGVl.jpg

Enjoying the warmth at night:)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you guys are on the honor system? I believe that Bykfixer can complete the challenge, but Ven? Seven days without even a sneaky peak at the world with an LED triple? How will we ever know? :whistle:

ven

Flashaholic
So you guys are on the honor system? I believe that Bykfixer can complete the challenge, but Ven? Seven days without even a sneaky peak at the world with an LED triple? How will we ever know? :whistle:

:laughing: so true, going to be tough one!. Work wise especially (can cope at home). Being use to the warm side of neutral flood from an xhp50 on my head.......just becomes so useful(compared to any light). Now I will use my work incand bulb in my z2 or 6p from Tuesday(bank hol Monday yay!). So I have 4 work days to get through. Should be fun, as I mentioned in another thread, years back we had no choice. In fact, my 60lm incand surefire kicks the a55 out of most others work lights........in brightness(50lm ish) and quality of beam. In fact the 6p incan beam is pretty damn awesome in many ways. The beam is not a problem, just being use to the convenience of a headlamp is.................

This challenge is greater for some than others for sure:faint:

scout24

Flashaholic
Sometimes I need the reminder of how nice a well-driven incan beam is. Got that reminder tonight with the aforementioned P91/ 2x18350 combo. Seven or eight GLORIOUS minutes and heat's not an issue. I've been solely on my phone to post for the last six months so no photos, sorry...

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only a white + color A2 counts. That's to say, the only way to get white light from the A2 is to use the incan. Bonus points to not use low mode at all.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
So basically I'll just keep EDC'ing an E2e like I've been doing for the past twenty years? Will be hard to screw this one up. I'm in!

ven

Flashaholic
z2 tonight for me, i do prefer it over the E2e beam(just) because of the higher output and little larger hot spot. I know smaller hot spots help with retaining night vision(not over whelmed with crazy bright spill). But i do feel the need i just want a little more light and a little more user friendly for me(all different here). As mr flame mentioned, kind of going from the usual triples/quads with broad wide hotspot which makes a perfect light for most of my general uses(as can a traditional type beam , depending on reflector size and LED). Its tougher than one may think...........

I know i would not last 5m with a mag bulb! Ok i could and have lasted longer, just my point being its not pretty and for me to use has to be focused the best it can be. But then i just get a small hot spot..............for me thats not particularly useful in anyway .

The p60 surefire(and p61) is my fav incand i think, but bare in mind my experience and collection of is very limited. If i run this p61 on 8.4v, should this over drive it nicely? Also the p60? I am tempted to try out 2x18350 1100mah aspires using the bored C2 body.................I might throw 2x 3v cells in the z2 and see if i can notice the extra 2v(near enough) extra in the beam.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
z2 tonight for me, i do prefer it over the E2e beam(just) because of the higher output and little larger hot spot. I know smaller hot spots help with retaining night vision(not over whelmed with crazy bright spill). But i do feel the need i just want a little more light and a little more user friendly for me(all different here). As mr flame mentioned, kind of going from the usual triples/quads with broad wide hotspot which makes a perfect light for most of my general uses(as can a traditional type beam , depending on reflector size and LED). Its tougher than one may think...........

I know i would not last 5m with a mag bulb! Ok i could and have lasted longer, just my point being its not pretty and for me to use has to be focused the best it can be. But then i just get a small hot spot..............for me thats not particularly useful in anyway .

The p60 surefire(and p61) is my fav incand i think, but bare in mind my experience and collection of is very limited. If i run this p61 on 8.4v, should this over drive it nicely? Also the p60? I am tempted to try out 2x18350 1100mah aspires using the bored C2 body.................I might throw 2x 3v cells in the z2 and see if i can notice the extra 2v(near enough) extra in the beam.

I have some light orange peel 19mm E series reflectors that will out-throw the typical 26mm P60 lamp assembly. I believe the P60 was always rated 5 lumens higher than the MN03, but in reality I don't see that it makes that much of a difference. I'm not even sure they use a different bulb in either. If you look at the two bulbs side by side they are identical.

You don't want to run a P61 on any voltage higher than two CR123A's can provide or it will go *poof*. P61's (like P91's) are very touchy and expensive lamp assemblies, they will not tolerate a lot of deviation in voltage from the standard configuration, that's how they were engineered.

A P60 won't tolerate two 3.7V lithium ion cells either. They are technically a 4.8V lamp assembly. Some people have got them to work on two 3V lithium ion cells, but it's a crap shoot and it most likely will not last long as the voltage sag on those cells is not the same as CR123A primaries, so you'll be shortening the life span of the bulb greatly if it does work. My favorite SF lamp assembly for general use is the P90, and the best rechargeable combo for this is two lithium ion/IMR cells. 2x17500 or 2x18500 seem to work the best. If you're gonna experiment with different power sources I recommend starting with the P60/P90 lamps, not the P61/P91's.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thank you ampdude, i will stick with my regular 4.2/4.35v fuel then. :)

Re- the E and p60, it will be like you state, different size reflectors which make the difference to my eyes. The E bulb is also closer to the lens compared to the p60 design.