Increasing earthquake activity

raz-0

Newly Enlightened
Almost nobody ever gets earthquake insurance. It's one of those things that insurance companies don't like to insure, so they set the rates far beyond affordability. It's odd, given that strong earthquakes are an extremely rare probability event, and damage or injury from them is practically statistically undetectable. People who don't live in CA tend to over-dramatize earthquakes. I've lived here for 47 years, and have only felt 3 quakes.

It may be rare statistically for any individual, at least for catastrophic damage, but when it does hit, it's a lot of high dollar claims. It may just be that reinsurance dollars are only out there at a premium to cover the gap between claims and the insurance pool.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard there were some injuries, but no deaths so far with that quake. Some gas lines broken, houses caught on fire, and road closures though. I think the biggest loss will be from the expensive wine bottles damaged or destroyed from the shaking. Many people in the area don't have earthquake insurance which could be really bad for the wineries in Napa Valley. I hope this quake isn't a foreshock for something larger. With the recent pattern of larger earthquakes rotating around the Ring of Fire, I wouldn't be surprised if the next large quake came from southern California or northern Mexico rather than in the same area. Let's just hope that quake released enough pressure to lower the risk of more quakes for the immediate future.

Looks like a large quake did hit farther south along the Ring of Fire from the Napa Valley quake. It just hit farther south than southern California or Mexico. A 7.0 struck Peru today.