Inova 2*123 and programmed death of button switch

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came across a flashlight that is about 10 years old and had a problem with the button. The button is pressed and the internal* (I was corrected, I put an extra letter) part is fixed, but there is practically no electrical contact, sometimes it exist, but is very unstable.

I decided to disassemble the button and see what the problem is. The button sits on 4 spikes. Inside, I found that all mechanical parts work well, except for the spring-loaded contact pin. This pin does not return to its fully extended position. I disassembled and found that the back of the pin, which abuts against the retractable spring, has an oblique surface. This oblique surface presses unevenly on the spring and eventually crushed it to the side. I think it was done on purpose so that the buttons would fail and people would go out and buy new flashlights.

1648279621148.png

It was easy to fix - you need to give the back surface of the pin a flat look with a piece of abrasive material. Then put it back together and it will work for a long time. It consumes about 350 mA from 1 * 16650, outwardly it looks like ~ 130-150 lumens, but it's only by eye, I'm not sure what model it is. That should give about 7 hours of continuous light on 16650 with 2500 mAh, right? Color about 5000K nice yellowish color. Good flashlight except for a weak button.

If anyone else has a similar Inova clicky button issue, hope this helps.

1648280177938.jpeg

1648280198052.jpeg

1648280211548.jpeg

1648280225298.jpeg

1648280237668.jpeg

1648280250300.jpeg

1648280261866.jpeg

short video:

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it still clicks, yet does not light or stay lit?
That must have been a real head scratcher :unsure:

Thanks for the tip on repair.

I get all confused with inova model numbers but believe that is the X0.

A broken state on the 1st segment of the video, that is, the mechanical part of the mechanism works well, but the electrical part works poorly - the spring-loaded pin does not extend to its full length and does not create good contact in the "on" position (it turned out after disassembly). The middle segment of the video shows the mechanical part working, like inside a ballpoint pen that pushes the rod. In the last section of the video, it has already been fixed and works well.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get all confused with inova model numbers but believe that is the X0.

Inova used the same nomenclature for a few different lights which adds to the confusion.

Looks like an Inova T2. The tactical (T series) Inova lights had real clicky switches. The X series had momentary contact switches instead.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
All I know Parnass is most of mine are twisty's from the days Emissive Energy made Inova lights. Some have the TIROS lens, which I really like warts and all because it makes the light act a lot brighter.