Inova green X5 vs T3 Images

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I know that a normal white x5 is maybe the worst throwing 2xcr123 light on the market.... It shoulnt come close the the decent throwing T3.

-David

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
cheapo said:
well, I know that a normal white x5 is maybe the worst throwing 2xcr123 light on the market.... It shoulnt come close the the decent throwing T3.
-David

I tried out one of those X5's at Target and I was absolutely shocked at how well it threw...Through the plastic clamshell with all the lights in the store on I could easily see the beam at the end of thr aisle! WAY better than I would have expected. Maybe the X5's at Target are X5.2? The only reason I didn't get one was because I didn't want to spend that much money that day. If I remember correctly the R123'a he's using release more energy more quickly than regulay 123A's but they don't last as long. Maybe that's why his X5 is so bright?

LED BriCK

Enlightened
mhawk-
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that rechargables have less internal resistance than regular disposables (primaries), so that even with the correct voltage, the LED might be seeing more current than it's supposed to (flashaholics please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Generally speaking, you should not use rechargables unless the manufacturer (or documented experience from Those Who Know Better) say it's OK.

edit: Oh, boy, when did I become enlightened?:rock:

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
my brother cornkid has a x5... I think its mostly a battery drainer.

-David

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that in total dark, my green X5 will light up an area better than ANY of my white LED flashlights. As Planterz stated, the eye is most sensitive to green light- a little goes a long way. Brightness is relative; compared to white, green won't apear as "lit up" but you will be able to see more objects in an area- without color recognition of course.

bikeg

Newly Enlightened
My White X5 is a good flood light.
That T3 should be flat smoking that X5 in throw, no if ands or buts.
Can you return this light? try another?
My Inovas have all been first pick winners, but I suppose there might be a bad one in the bunch.

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
bullinchinashop said:
I tried out one of those X5's at Target and I was absolutely shocked at how well it threw...Through the plastic clamshell with all the lights in the store on I could easily see the beam at the end of thr aisle! WAY better than I would have expected. Maybe the X5's at Target are X5.2? The only reason I didn't get one was because I didn't want to spend that much money that day. If I remember correctly the R123'a he's using release more energy more quickly than regulay 123A's but they don't last as long. Maybe that's why his X5 is so bright?

I'm with you, Bull. On several other threads I speculated about an X5.2 - the very blue center and other features of the beam really make me think Nichia CS, and it throws way better than it is supposed to - and my meter readings indicate so too. Half the stock was like that, the others dimmer.

On a more instinctive level, it seems about the same lux as the center of my HDS EDC on primary setting (in exact agreement with my meter readings!) Only the EDC is way whiter but the X5 central spot is far wider.

I might almost believe the observed difference and attribute it mostly to the green LEDs, but the absence of ring pattern just doesn't fit with what I see from my T3, even out to 20 or 30 feet.

- Bill