Inretech 2AA - Great for the NON Flasholic! (Story attached to prove point!)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by INRETECH:
We have not had a chance to experiment with these batteries, although they state they are 4500mAh, again I wonder about their ESR

When you have a relatively small plate surface area, you are bound to have a high ESR

Mike (Not Patrick)
www.inretech.com
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is ESR "electron spin resonance" or something else? Could you please define/explain it in layman's terms?

Thanks,
Brightnorm

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
ESR = Effective Series Resistance

Electronic devices such as caps and batteries all have a ESR

When a device is made, there is always a amount of resistance between the actual "guts" of the device and the terminals that protrude out of the case

ESR is not inserted into a battery or cap, its just part of the construction of the device; its like the transmission of a car - you can have a huge engine willing to pump out 300hp - but if you have a "wimpy" transmission; that power is simply not going to get to the wheels

While designing high eff switching power supplies, you need to pay close attention to "ripple current" going thru the filter caps, the ESR in the caps converts the ripple into heat; too much ripple and too high a ESR - leads to cap venting (a bad thing)

A battery can supply current to the circuit, but as you draw more and more current the internal resistance of the wires and plates inside the battery start limiting the amount of current that you can draw out of it - and current thru resistance -> heat

For example, if you used one of those small coin cells, that has 400mAh - you would be able to light up a small LED (Like the Photon Key chain)

But if you tried to lightup a Luxeon or a string of LEDs even thou you had the right voltage - the internal resistance of the battery would act like a resistor in series with the load and prevent you from drawing too much current, and quickly heat up the battery

Large car batteries have VERY low ESR, when my brother starts up his 460cu+.030 engine in his 9000lb monster truck, he needs a battery that can put out 600-800 "Cold Cranking Amps" to turn over that huge engine with high compression, if the battery had too high of an ESR that current would simply be generated in heat inside the battery - and we know what happens next

There are test equipment out there to check ESR on caps, but you can easily test the ESR of a battery by measuring the open circuit voltage, then applying a known load, and measuring the voltage again

ESR should be equal to Voltage-Drop / Current

Too high of an ESR can be the signs of a bad cell in a battery as well

Mike
www.inretech.com

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by shipinretech:
Doug,

Our problem is that if we begin to sort, we have to do something with the less perfectly white emitters. We could sell them as seconds, but that is a losing game because that would indicate that there was something defective in our product.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They do not have to be sold as seconds. In the early days and probably still today microprocsssor speeds follow a normal curve. Some run higher than design speed and some lower. People made a very nice extra income from measuring and selling higher speed chips at higher prices.
Those prices were much higher than a normal chip.

You would test the individual LED and sell brighter lights at brighter prices. People will pay for it. You sell the normal ones at a normal price and find a buyer for the less bright bare LEDs.

How many nuts, er, dedicated users would pay 10% more for a 5% increase in light out put.

shipinretech

Enlightened
I think it important to be discreet about the tendancy of some people to pay 4X for a 10% improvement in system performance. Our problem is that we are insufficiently capitalized to purchase 100,000 Luxeon's so that we could try and convince you kind people to pay $40 for a light that was possibly 20% brighter than the average $20 adapter. Another problem is that there aren't 100,000 Luxeon's available on the market except at the factory, which is how our friends at Intel and AMD accomplish their performance coup.

Finally, the microprocessor performance market was almost 20 years in maturing before Intel really cashed in during the mid-90s.

If you do want to capitalize InReTech for 100,000 Luxeon's to prove me wrong...I'll let you!

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
When designing a power supply using a switcher or a battery, it is important to consider the implications of ESR

One person pointed me to a battery that had 4000mah for our products, but when I pointed out that the max current drain was limited to 2ma; he understood more about ESR - the battery was designed as a memory backup battery, not a primary source battery

One of my first jobs at Intel, was to discover why the filter caps in a power supply purchased by Intel were "blowing up", we didn't think much of it from customer reports UNTIL the manager of the division had it happen to him, and was not pleased

I had a real problem with security when I wanted to take a burning power supply out of the building - STILL SMOKING without a properly pass - to put it into a dumpster outside.

Here I am - holding this power supply with smoke coming out of it, and they wanting me to sign for it !

Mike
www.inretech.com