Interesting change of heart... from LED to Incan

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely understand what you are saying here but take exception to defining warm as neutral. That's downright biased!! :nana:

Shouldn't neutral be neutral; that elusive realm where it is neither warm or cold?

To simplify, IMHO, warm is warm and cool is cool and is based on the perceived tint when viewing a full spectrum reflective surface, AKA white wall. Actual color rendering and ultimate utility of the source of illumination goes beyond the white wall and is more a function of the overall spectrum of light output.

I believe a change of heart and going back to embracing an incan has its legitimate justification but it is important to have a good idea of just what it is that brings about this change in heart. The manufacturers are listening to us and ultimately it is in their best interest to serve us what we want. It is in our best interest to understand what we want and ask for the right things for the right reasons. :duck:

McGizmo.. thanks for your comments.

Subjective labeling (4Sevens term "neutral" for the Q3 5A emitter, which some would consider to be "warm") is, well, incredibly subjective. Where there is such a range in flashlight output of not only tint, but also of spectrum in incandescent vs. LED, labels can be very poor at being accurately descriptive.

The Q3 5A is perhaps best described as "neutral" as it is warmer than the Q5 emitters and cooler than incandescent. But to those who have become accustomed to the typically "cold" Q5 and R2 emitters, it appears warm(er).

I totally agree with you. As for spectral representation with flashlight emitters, it's kind of like dynamic range in digital camera light sensors... there is a whole lot of potential left on the table for improvement! Warm(er) tints seems to be what most users are appreciating in LEDs these days, but there isn't a lot of obvious consumer demand for higher CRI.

It will be wonderful to see an increasing number of higher CRI, warmer-tint, and high output LEDs some day.

I probably choose the wrong words with titling this thread. I haven't actually had a "change of heart", but more like a renewed appreciation for the look of incan after being so immersed in Q5 and R2 flashlights for the last eight months of intense flashlight acquisition! ;)

I prefer the versatility of output levels/modes of LEDs, but the tint and CRI of incans. Of all my LED lights, the tint I appreciate most is that of the XP-E Q3 5A in my Quarks. The CRI isn't all that high, but decent I suppose, and the tint is relatively "neutral" appearing (not noticibly cold nor warm).

Overall... the Quark line with the XP-E Q3 5A seems to offer about the best combination of very wide output levels/modes, multiple features, wide cell versatility (with different tubes), neutral tint, "beam cleanliness", and semi-decent CRI (hoping this will increase with future emitter models) in a mainstream, moderately-priced flashlight.

But I am definitely enjoying the occasional use of my little E1e bodies and the Lumens Factory EO/HO lamps!

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few days ago I received my new package with flashlights from 4Sevens and EagleTac. I just have to say that I have been even more in love in the neutral LEDs. Quark AA2 neutral and EagleTac M2XC4 neutral have really nice tints, I think more neutral than Fenix TK20, which looks slightly rose in comparison. Also I received a Quark 123 in the cool tint, which I ordered because the neutral was outsold. But yesterday when I visited 4Sevens website I found that they still have the Quark 0,9-4,2V head in neutral version, so I ordered it! Soon I will have have even Quark123 in neutral.

Regards, Patric

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patric... yes, the Quark "neutral" tints are very nice indeed and the output loss (compared to R2) is small enough to be considered relatively negligible. The CRI seems likely to be higher as well as color renditions seem a lot more natural and vivid.

I too just ordered a .9v-4.2v neutral head myself! That will be my fifth Quark head, third in a "neutral" tint.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Like I have said on different occasions, and here too, probably, I like my LED lights and I like my incans at night outside when taking walks. When full power LEDs, not juiced down bins, are putting out CRI in the mid to high CRI range, and they are common, not a special deal, and putting out the high lumens, then I will invest in them for outside use. LEDs start looking like an MN15, or MN60, with that great hotspot beam, and I will be sold. Got to experience LED and Incan, to make good good discussion here. Beam color is not the answer to high CRI, and we have enough info on CPF to substantiate that.

Bill

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam color is not the answer to high CRI, and we have enough info on CPF to substantiate that.

Bill

Bill, yes, we know that is true. But beam color still does make a difference in representation of colors and the 5A-like tints are definitely a step in the right direction when it comes to an improved appearance in most people's view.

Who knows, perhaps in a year or two, we'll have even higher output, nicer warmish tint, high-ish CRI LEDs with gorgeous, clean beams... as nice as we have in today's Quarks or even better! No doubt it's coming.