Introducing "Draco" - - - PART 2

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
What other option do you need?
The other parts is the full LE. If so I need to work out a $$$ difference.

Secur1

Enlightened
Could you possibly make out a list of changes from my version to the latest one ?
I am a bit comfused with all the new stuff, secret sause etc....

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
=== Draco Enhancements ===
1. Tritium slots will replace the round GID hole on the battery tube. Battery tube change.
2. Increase the number of rotation between the battery tube and LE. LE change.
3. Improved thermal path. LE change.
4. Maybe Seoul P4 compatible. LE change.
5. O-ring standardization. Same oring for all the junction to save part number & my whooping cost. LE change.
6. Drake battery tube.
7. SSC P4 Turbo Head.

Psychomodo

Enlightened
modamag said:
1. Tritium slots will replace the round GID hole on the battery tube. Battery tube change.
5. O-ring standardization. Same oring for all the junction to save part number & my whooping cost. LE change.
6. Drake battery tube.
7. SSC P4 Turbo Head.

Regarding enhancement 7. :rock:

Are you offering an upgrade to our original Turbo Head (to Seoul P4)? :naughty:

If so, can I send mine back for you to do it for me? (How much?) :)

Cheers Jonathan :goodjob:

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
modamag said:
Regarding the operation of burst mode for extended period of time with AAA Li-Ion.
You can as long as you used it as designed, holding the light with your hand to induce the liquid (blood) cooling affect then there should be no problem. If you're out skiing the outside temperature gradient is more than enough to keep it cool.

However, if you're in Arizona when the outside temp is 100F/38C I would not recommend you keep it on burst while sitting on top of your car. In such situation level 5|6 is much more appropriate.

This is a general rule of thumb that would apply to any light regardless of their size/batteries.

crewcabrob: Wow! going thru 2x cell 3x (effectively 6x cells) within a day, which is ~ 4-5 hrs of use. You really got to put that toy down otherwise I'll start getting flame mail your Misses.

I love this thing! Yeah, the wife knows I got a new toy, but she hasn't really seen it yet. I'll make sure she doesn't catch wind of your email address, that will keep the hate mail from making it your way. :)

I have used it at least that much. I want to make sure I know everything about a new torch: beam pattern, run time, UI, components... I want to be able to answer the questions I get on it and make sure I can endorse the purchases I make. I can certianly endorse your little gem!

I'm still getting used to the settings, and how it behaves. I never seem to be able to guess what level it will power on with, but it is very easy to adjust once I figure out where it is.

I'll be contacting you soon about the extender tube and some cells. I will take to heart your advice about the burst mode and run times.

Thanks,

Rob

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
crewcabrob said:
I'm still getting used to the settings, and how it behaves. I never seem to be able to guess what level it will power on with, but it is very easy to adjust once I figure out where it is.
After carrying mine for a few days, I am running into this too... No matter how much I unscrew the head (short of it falling off), in my pocket, it somehow manages it active itself and is never in the same mode I left it in. One time even the user set mode was reprogrammed to the lowest level. I've also had a few times I've taken it out of my pocket, and by simply touching the head of the light, it will come on for a split second and switch to the next level. Are there any slightly thicker o-rings available for this to maybe give it a bit more resistance to turning?

dduane

Newly Enlightened
Sign me up! What does it involve on my part?

PS, when are you and Ernst available for a "run"?

modamag said:
6. Drake battery tube.
7. SSC P4 Turbo Head.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never had this problem before. Don't be afraid to give it a good twist off. One other thing I can think of is the solder buldge on the board may be too thick and taking up previous space. When in doubt, ask Jonathan =D

bray

Newly Enlightened
from my understanding, this run of lights that are shipping now have all the enhancements besides 4,6,7???

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
sideman7 said:
After carrying mine for a few days, I am running into this too... No matter how much I unscrew the head (short of it falling off), in my pocket, it somehow manages it active itself and is never in the same mode I left it in. One time even the user set mode was reprogrammed to the lowest level. I've also had a few times I've taken it out of my pocket, and by simply touching the head of the light, it will come on for a split second and switch to the next level. Are there any slightly thicker o-rings available for this to maybe give it a bit more resistance to turning?

Yep, same thing for me. I have been making sure that no amount of preasure I put on the head will let the light turn on. Yet, I seem to end up in the user selected mode almost every time even though I make sure that I turn it off in burst mode and that is what I want it to power up in.

Still, three turns and it is back to where I want it. :)

I still love the little torch and I'm sure I will end up with another one soon.

Rob

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, only draco V2 will remember the last level it was in. Also, make sure to turn on the led AT LEAST 1second before turning it off to always start at low (version 1) or stay on current level (version 2)

The key is you need to turn it on AT LEAST 1 SECOND.

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
goldserve said:
Well, only draco V2 will remember the last level it was in. Also, make sure to turn on the led AT LEAST 1second before turning it off to always start at low (version 1) or stay on current level (version 2)

The key is you need to turn it on AT LEAST 1 SECOND.
It's this function of the flupic that is the root of this issue. Not that it's misbehaving here, but it's the brief contact (a fraction of a second) that is being made that flips it to the next mode. I've actually watched it happen when I've taken it out of my pocket. I had a similar issue with my Exolion until I put a tighter o-ring on. This may result in a slightly less fluid motion when turning the head, but for a light that you are sticking in your pocket, it really needs about as much resistance as say an Arc AAA if you don't want it to turn on by itself.

I've read here about people having the head fall off, so I guess this is an issue in both directions...

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are measures in the system to keep it from changing states if the contact is less than 250ms. Funny how I never had that problem with mine..or the head falling off. Maybe ask jonathan to clean off some solder so it doesn't bulge as high on the contact.

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
I don't know, maybe its a static issue for me (5% humidity will do that). I used to have an issue with my Exolion that I would go to turn it on and it would be on burst, strobe or even mode set (I keep it in mode 4). That shouldn't even be possible... About half the time I touch my HDS it lights up (real low) as well, so who knows...

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Psychomodo: I envision there will be a Luxeon -> SSC P4 swap upgrade service offer in the near future for similar pricing as XRE swap. But please do not send it out at the moment until I have tested the reliability & durability of the mod.

crewcabrob: Regarding the FluPIC, the trick is to look for the quick blink @ ~1 second after you turn it on. That blink indicate that the current mode is locked in. The next time you turn it on it will be the same state. If you turn it off before that blink the next time you turn it on will the next mode.

sideman7: same recommendation as screwabrob. If I accidentally put too much Krytox lubrication then it would feel loose. Did I buildup too much solder on the + contact of the flupic? It should only be a thin film ~ 0.005-0.010" thick.

A new oring in heading your way hopefully resolving the problem.

In any case, if you have problem with yours feel free to send it back for failure analysis.

BTW: static electricity is most likely not the problem because the LE + is isolated from the body until you turn it on.

dduane: The run is scheduled for next next weekend.

bray: You're absolutely correct.
bray said:
from my understanding, this run of lights that are shipping now have all the enhancements besides 4,6,7???

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
psst Jonathan. Spell check 3rd parargragh, 5th word.

Draco is becoming my most used light lately. I've been doing a lot of fishing at night. It's on a beaded chain around my neck. It's great for tying on a new lure. The other night I was tying on a plastic yellow wiggle tail grub on a jig. I think it was set to brightness level 4. I could see the PWM working on the wiggle tail. Pretty cool "strobe" effect.

The other fishermen trip out on the Draco. Then I turn it to "practical joke" mode and point it at my hand. Whoa!

I'm going through at least one battery cycle per day. I fell asleep with it on. It would not turn back on to any brightness mode. However, the battery still took a full charge. That's very cool.

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
Jonathan,
I am familiar with how the flupic works (I have another light with one). Whatever was happening is a quick connection (usually when it's in my pocket) and even sometimes when I take it out I'll see it flash quickly and then the next time I turn it on it's in another mode. In my pocket it can change a few modes on it's own. Anyway, it is very sick now, and I will have to send it back anyway. It has completely gone nuts tonight and doesn't really work anymore... Sometimes it will come on, or on for 1 second then shut off, but most of the time it just flashes or flickers or doesn't come on at all... Or it come on really dim, or not at all, then you look at it to see if anything is coming out and it flashes really f^%!ing brightly right in your eyes then won't come on again... I cleaned the contacts and that didn't help... :awman: